Glenn Tilbrook

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Glenn Tilbrook

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Status: UNFINISHED

Voice Type: Labelled with Tenor
Vocal Range: B2-B4

Signficant High Notes:
B4 - "By Your Side"
B♭4 - "Hits Of The Year"
A4 - "Black Coffee In Bed", "By Your Side", "Hope Fell Down", "No Place Like Home"
G♯4 - "Annie Get Your Gun", "I've Returned", "Love's Crashing Waves", "Picking Up The Pieces"
G4 - "Black Coffee In Bed", "By Your Side", "Farfisa Beat", "Goodbye Girl", "Hits Of The Year", "Hourglass", "King George Street", "Messed Around", "No Place Like Home", "Pulling Mussels (From a Shell)", "When The Hangover Strikes"
F♯4 - "853-5937", "Black Coffee In Bed", "Goodbye Girl", "Hope Fell Down", "I've Returned", "Labelled With Love", "No Place Like Home", "Slap and Tickle", "Tempted", "When The Hangover Strikes"
F4 - "By Your Side", "Hourglass", "Last Time Forever", "Messed Around", "Trust Me To Open My Mouth", "The Waiting Game", "When The Hangover Strikes"

Significant Low Notes:
F3 - "Hope Fell Down"
E3 - "Labelled With Love", "Goodbye Girl", "No Place Like Home"
D♯3 - "Up The Junction"
D3 - "Footprints"
B2 - "Up The Junction"

...................................................
*Purple or Underlines mark notes in backing vocals or otherwise obscured.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.
*Blue marks falsetto notes
*Green marks harsh distorted notes.


Glenn Tilbrook is the lead vocalist and lead guitarist for the new wave band Squeeze. Known for his distinctive light voice, Tilbrook's style has changed over the years; he started out sounding very Beatle-esque in the early years of Squeeze, sounding very much like a lighter George Harrison, and grew into a more soulful style, which is very apparent in the 80s on tracks like "When The Hangover Strikes" and "By Your Side." Tilbrook is very tasteful with his range, and tends to stay in his comfort-zone in the mid-fourth octave, but he has an easy sound in the upper-fourth, and his B♭4 in "Hits of the Year" is effortless and sounds great, so I hope he has more notes like that one.
Unfortunately, he doesn't do much in his lower range, especially since Chris Difford does most of the lower harmonies in Squeeze's songs, so much of his lower range that I've found has been mid third octave, with a few lower third and one upper second octave notes. I've just been notewatching the singles of Squeeze and Tilbrook's Tilbrook and Difford album, but I'm having a great time doing so, so I'm going to try and do their whole discography soon. I haven't enjoyed notewatching this much in a long while


Last edited by KeithMoonIsGod on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  Hopscotch on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:01 pm

You finally made a thread with colors! Joyful
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:03 pm

avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  Parallax on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:51 am

now im not one to be enough of a nazi to start an argument over vois type, but since his highest note is a B4, and he even had to use falsetto for that, i feel like he could be a baritone who just doesnt use his lower range to its full potential, which is a damn shame. id love to see this guy either start belting some sexy 5th octave or hitting puberty again to achieve second octave. oh well.
avatar
Parallax

Posts : 156
Join date : 2015-01-31
Age : 19
Location : Pasadena, Maryland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:32 am


Definitely a baritone. Now shut the fuck up.
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:43 am

But in all seriousness, I have not done a thorough job notewatching yet; I've only been tackling Squeeze's (and the Tilbrook and Difford effort) singles. Maybe when I go through their entire discography, I can find some more significant notes. But his timbre is fairly light, making me lean more towards tenor for him. Like I said earlier, his B♭4 is pretty effortless, and his falsetto B4 didn't seem strained. I'm more inclined to say tenor over baritone right now, especially when you compare him to Chris Difford, who does the lower harmonies in Squeeze.
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  Metalhead123 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:51 am

Who sings Cool for Cats then?
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 am

Chris Difford.
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  Parallax on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:26 am

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:
Definitely a baritone. Now shut the fuck up.

</3 Sad
avatar
Parallax

Posts : 156
Join date : 2015-01-31
Age : 19
Location : Pasadena, Maryland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am

Parallax wrote:now im not one to be enough of a nazi to start an argument over vois type, but since his highest note is a B4, and he even had to use falsetto for that, i feel like he could be a baritone who just doesnt use his lower range to its full potential, which is a damn shame. id love to see this guy either start belting some sexy 5th octave or hitting puberty again to achieve second octave. oh well.
Yeah, no way does he sound anything like a baritone. Just because he doesn't choose to flaunt belty highs all over the place doesn't automatically make him a baritone. If you're going to use the argument that he "had to use falsetto to reach B4" for why he could be a baritone, you could just as easily point out that he never sang below B2, and therefore he must be a tenor.

Tessitura ≠ voice type
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  Parallax on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Wanderlust wrote:
Parallax wrote:now im not one to be enough of a nazi to start an argument over vois type, but since his highest note is a B4, and he even had to use falsetto for that, i feel like he could be a baritone who just doesnt use his lower range to its full potential, which is a damn shame. id love to see this guy either start belting some sexy 5th octave or hitting puberty again to achieve second octave. oh well.
Yeah, no way does he sound anything like a baritone. Just because he doesn't choose to flaunt belty highs all over the place doesn't automatically make him a baritone. If you're going to use the argument that he "had to use falsetto to reach B4" for why he could be a baritone, you could just as easily point out that he never sang below B2, and therefore he must be a tenor.

Tessitura ≠ voice type

Well fuck, someone raised a genuine argument against my bullshit claim. now to do the normal TRP thing and start flinging my shit everywhere screaming "VOIS TYPES"
avatar
Parallax

Posts : 156
Join date : 2015-01-31
Age : 19
Location : Pasadena, Maryland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  axisundone on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:53 am

It's almost as if this guy....sings for the song.....and....doesn't range wank
avatar
axisundone

Posts : 324
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 29
Location : Ipswich, England

View user profile http://www.habuband.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  MrChongHead on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:59 am

axisundone wrote:It's almost as if this guy....sings for the song.....and....doesn't range wank
Surprise of the century.

MrChongHead

Posts : 206
Join date : 2014-02-14
Age : 19
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenn Tilbrook

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum