Metalhead's singing thread

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:54 am

cryszofthescots wrote:
Metalhead123 wrote:
Rebsedd wrote:Don't worry too much about your voice type, my voice changed pretty early on so I'm a little more familiar with my own style. Just make sure you get the basic rights as your voice matures.
was my singing good tho?

That was great actually Shocked  your technique seems a bit dangerous though, even though it sounded badass you may end up hurting your voice. Try to find a way to make it easier on yourself. Ever considered getting a singing teacher?
My drum teacher knows how to properly sing so I am getting lessons from him
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:19 pm

http://picosong.com/jUUU/ Floods by Pantera. I tried to sound metal when I sang and it didn't go as well as I expected. I kinda sound like a shitty version of John Bush here.
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Metalhead123 wrote:http://picosong.com/jUUU/ Floods by Pantera.   I tried to sound metal when I sang and it didn't go as well as I expected. I kinda sound like a shitty version of John Bush here.
dat shitty midi cymbal in the intro In Love

its a pretty good cover though, interesting falsetto use. What mic you using?
avatar
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

Posts : 1292
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:35 pm

cryszofthescots wrote:
Metalhead123 wrote:http://picosong.com/jUUU/ Floods by Pantera.   I tried to sound metal when I sang and it didn't go as well as I expected. I kinda sound like a shitty version of John Bush here.
dat shitty midi cymbal in the intro In Love

its a pretty good cover though, interesting falsetto use. What mic you using?
the one on my mac. Also the falsetto is like that in the original. Did you like the death growl?
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Metalhead123 wrote:
cryszofthescots wrote:
Metalhead123 wrote:http://picosong.com/jUUU/ Floods by Pantera.   I tried to sound metal when I sang and it didn't go as well as I expected. I kinda sound like a shitty version of John Bush here.
dat shitty midi cymbal in the intro In Love

its a pretty good cover though, interesting falsetto use. What mic you using?
the one on my mac. Also the falsetto is like that in the original.  Did you like the death growl?

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I JUST GOT TO IT. THAT WAS INTENSE.
You sound like you have an interesting distortion technique, though it's pretty strained. May wanna experiment with that and find a safer way to do it. The spoken part at 2:22 is kinda goofy tho, but I don't know the original song so I won't judge.
avatar
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

Posts : 1292
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:46 pm

cryszofthescots wrote:
Metalhead123 wrote:
cryszofthescots wrote:
Metalhead123 wrote:http://picosong.com/jUUU/ Floods by Pantera.   I tried to sound metal when I sang and it didn't go as well as I expected. I kinda sound like a shitty version of John Bush here.
dat shitty midi cymbal in the intro In Love

its a pretty good cover though, interesting falsetto use. What mic you using?
the one on my mac. Also the falsetto is like that in the original.  Did you like the death growl?

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I JUST GOT TO IT. THAT WAS INTENSE.
You sound like you have an interesting distortion technique, though it's pretty strained. May wanna experiment with that and find a safer way to do it. The spoken part at 2:22 is kinda goofy tho, but I don't know the original song so I won't judge.
Here is the original
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:54 pm

seriously dude tho, watch it on the distortion. You dont wanna destroy your voice before you even start having a career.
avatar
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

Posts : 1292
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:01 pm

cryszofthescots wrote:seriously dude tho, watch it on the distortion. You dont wanna destroy your voice before you even start having a career.
It's ok. Im a drummer.
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  RevDrucifer on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:52 am

Not bad, brother!!

For those spoken parts, that's Phil pretty much mumbling in the mic with the volume/compression cranked a bit, if you go for more of a relaxed whisper you'll probably reach that lower pitch.

You're doing a good job at getting that slight bit of fry in the verses/choruses where Phil does it on the studio version, which is great!

For that low "FLOODS!" screamed part, that's a false chord scream (you'll notice you feel the distortion coming more from under your throat/in the chest than say the verses, where you feel the distortion being formed somewhere around the back of the throat/soft palate). As long as you aren't getting sore after that, you'll be fine. If you are getting sore from it, remember that you don't need really any pressure in the throat to do it, it's more about air control and placement. Keep your throat nice and open when you're doing that....the more open your throat is, the more you can change the pitch and feel relaxed while doing it.

Tight work!
avatar
RevDrucifer

Posts : 66
Join date : 2014-07-17
Location : Ft. Lauderdale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:58 am

RevDrucifer wrote:Not bad, brother!!

For those spoken parts, that's Phil pretty much mumbling in the mic with the volume/compression cranked a bit, if you go for more of a relaxed whisper you'll probably reach that lower pitch.

You're doing a good job at getting that slight bit of fry in the verses/choruses where Phil does it on the studio version, which is great!

For that low "FLOODS!" screamed part, that's a false chord scream (you'll notice you feel the distortion coming more from under your throat/in the chest than say the verses, where you feel the distortion being formed somewhere around the back of the throat/soft palate). As long as you aren't getting sore after that, you'll be fine. If you are getting sore from it, remember that you don't need really any pressure in the throat to do it, it's more about air control and placement. Keep your throat nice and open when you're doing that....the more open your throat is, the more you can change the pitch and feel relaxed while doing it.

Tight work!
I tried whispering for the one part but the mic wasn't picking it up. As for the false cord scream on the FLOOD!! Part. I couldn't do it. So I tried to death growl
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:05 am

RevDrucifer wrote:Not bad, brother!!

For those spoken parts, that's Phil pretty much mumbling in the mic with the volume/compression cranked a bit, if you go for more of a relaxed whisper you'll probably reach that lower pitch.

You're doing a good job at getting that slight bit of fry in the verses/choruses where Phil does it on the studio version, which is great!

For that low "FLOODS!" screamed part, that's a false chord scream (you'll notice you feel the distortion coming more from under your throat/in the chest than say the verses, where you feel the distortion being formed somewhere around the back of the throat/soft palate). As long as you aren't getting sore after that, you'll be fine. If you are getting sore from it, remember that you don't need really any pressure in the throat to do it, it's more about air control and placement. Keep your throat nice and open when you're doing that....the more open your throat is, the more you can change the pitch and feel relaxed while doing it.

Tight work!
I was sore. I don't have proper technique yet.
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  RevDrucifer on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:36 am

Keep in mind that until you get used to doing that, you'll feel a bit hoarse/sore, the idea is to not over-do it when it gets to that point.

Start with it slow, try making that same sound with the least amount of volume possible. Don't tense up the stomach muscles too much, I recently learned this after screwing something up in my neck/throat. Tighten your stomach muscles up for a second and feel where else in your body you feel muscles move, you'll feel the front of your throat tense up as you tighten the stomach, it's almost impossible to disconnect the two.

Tightening your stomach muscles pulls down on the muscles in your throat, and you need them essentially 'free floating' for the false chord screaming. This really threw me for a loop in the last month, just as I thought I had it all sorted out. Keeping support in the diaphragm without tensing the stomach muscles.

One way I look at controlling pitch with the false chord stuff is if I want to go lower, I don't have to go downward in my throat, I have to go outward, try thinking of that when you're doing it and see if it works....it's more of a psychological thing than a physical thing but it works for me. I get a kick out of throwing in some Six Feet Under/Cannibal Corpse type stuff in songs I don't normally do it in, the lower I get with the voice the more I laugh after. Laughing

But just like going to the gym, the first few weeks you start lifting weights or running, your body is going to be sore as fuck. Obviously if you overdo it in the gym, you'll hurt yourself. There's a difference between being sore and being in pain, you just have to know what's right for your body.
avatar
RevDrucifer

Posts : 66
Join date : 2014-07-17
Location : Ft. Lauderdale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Rebsedd on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 pm

That distortion is pretty unhealthy. I'm not really fond of some technique you use, but who am I to judge.
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 20
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  RevDrucifer on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Rebsedd wrote:That distortion is pretty unhealthy. I'm not really fond of some technique you use, but who am I to judge.

Please tell us, what makes the distortion unhealthy?

I'm just curious because:

A) You didn't sing it.
B) You don't know how he felt after he sang it.
C) You provided no information on *WHY* it was unhealthy.


avatar
RevDrucifer

Posts : 66
Join date : 2014-07-17
Location : Ft. Lauderdale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:32 pm

http://picosong.com/gqZA/ I covered Jump by Van Halen.


Last edited by Metalhead123 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:35 am

Metalhead123 wrote:http://picosong.com/jUUU/ Floods by Pantera.   I tried to sound metal when I sang and it didn't go as well as I expected. I kinda sound like a shitty version of John Bush here.
Dude this was pretty damn good. I really like you tone on the verses too, you really nailed that part of it
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:19 pm

Metalhead123 wrote:http://picosong.com/gqZA/ I covered Jump by Van Halen.
Just a reminder that this exists. bounce
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Rebsedd on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 pm

RevDrucifer wrote:
Rebsedd wrote:That distortion is pretty unhealthy. I'm not really fond of some technique you use, but who am I to judge.

Please tell us, what makes the distortion unhealthy?

I'm just curious because:

A) You didn't sing it.
B) You don't know how he felt after he sang it.
C) You provided no information on *WHY* it was unhealthy.



Because it sounds like I used to do it when I was around his age. I have pretty thick vocal cords and it took me a while to realize I was hurting myself. Also, take a chill pill with the overreactions. It's generic feedback. Not my fault if you give a damn.
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 20
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Rebsedd on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Metalhead123 wrote:
Metalhead123 wrote:http://picosong.com/gqZA/ I covered Jump by Van Halen.
Just a reminder that this exists. bounce

Holy shit that scream at the beginning scared me shitless. You may wanna' go a little more relaxed and work on your breathing. You sound too stressed.
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 20
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:08 pm

I covered another queen song. This time, its Keep Yourself Alive. http://picosong.com/gLby/ Tell me what you guys think.
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Lurex on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:22 pm

dude your rasp technique really aint healthy and that doesnt sound like singing it sounds like shouting and yelping.  sorry to be honest bro but i think you've gotta relax your body a bit more when you sing because physical excitement doesnt always equal an exciting sound, it just sounds constipated and urgent. you can hit the notes but whats more important is HOW you hit them and you really arent using enough air to make the notes sing or sound musical in a conventional sense. iron out these bad habits early on or they will come to haunt you indefinitely
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Aníbal on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:08 pm

You're getting tired too soon in the song, I know you recorded this in a multitake, but with that your voice you can sing this the only thing you need to do is sing this song a lot to get used to the high notes, I like your raspy tone in some parts Cool
avatar
Aníbal

Posts : 680
Join date : 2014-06-05
Age : 23
Location : Venezuela

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/anibal-m-sica

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:47 pm

I sang the Metallica song The thing that should not be. I did a James Hetfield impression near the end so yea Cool http://picosong.com/SPiW/
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Rebsedd on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 pm

Metalhead123 wrote:I sang the Metallica song The thing that should not be. I did a James Hetfield impression near the end so yea Cool http://picosong.com/SPiW/

You gotta watch those voice cracks, I know it's hard, you're in that age :<. Great cover.
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 20
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Metalhead123 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Are you talking about those little yelps I did, because those were intentional. I thought they sounded maddening and would bring a sense of agony and chaos to the cover
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalhead's singing thread

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum