Jco5055's singing thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jco5055's singing thread.

Post  jco5055 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:36 pm

Hey all, I guess I should make a thread, since my eventual goal like a lot of you is to be a professional musician/singer and you have to put yourself out there eventually haha.

The only clip I have is this one, and it's a doozy.  I was just messing around singing a few songs after practice.  I in no way consider this "complete" or where I'd be to cover any of the songs I sung a little bit of etc, but I guess I can show my potential.  This is also just using my built-in mic, so it's not the prettiest.  I have a USB mic that I will use for future covers.

I'm currently working with my teacher (Eli Prinsen) on "Walk in the Shadows", and I probably could do a passable, one-take cover, though like I said it's definitely not 100%, not to mention I've been busy with work so I've only had time to practice workouts and not the actual song/singing.  

Anyways, here's the clip:  https://app.box.com/s/bdkdwzial4fbx8xj5joyitn4cu6rxfye

And in case anybody wonders, I don't know my exact range but it's at least C2-D6, as I have that on video.  I really don't try to go past C2 or C6, as those are the limits on my workout I'm doing currently.  I just did it because Eli has a thing on his facebook page where he'll congratulate a student for joining the "4 octave club" so I thought I'd do it.

I've been singing/practicing seriously for ~3 years, though I cringe thinking about some of my misguided practice without a teacher haha.

EDIT: Here's a video (though you don't need to watch as I'm not showing anything) of me singing a snippet of "Rainbow in the Dark":

Last edited by jco5055 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

jco5055

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jco5055's singing thread.

Post  King Creosote on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Some friendly advice. Don't cover Foreigner songs.

They are difficult to sing, if you do get them right your reward will be to be considered a big wuss.
King Creosote

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jco5055 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:43 pm

King Creosote wrote:Some friendly advice. Don't cover Foreigner songs.

They are difficult to sing, if you do get them right your reward will be to be considered a big wuss.

Haha I did that because I used to attempt that song all the time so I thought I'd see how much easier it is to sing that section compar d to how it used to be.

jco5055

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jco5055 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Just wanted to say I added the new clip in my OP

jco5055

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryugen on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:40 pm

Did you just say, "No sign of the bane"??? Instead of "No sign of the day."
Ryugen
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jco5055 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Ryugen wrote:Did you just say, "No sign of the bane"??? Instead of "No sign of the day."

actually, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I sung "No sign of the pain". It makes no sense but for some reason that's what I sing/think when I recall the lyrics haha

jco5055

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryugen on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Yeah, your diction needs a ton of work. The vowels are starting to come along nicely.
Ryugen
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jco5055 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Ryugen wrote:Yeah, your diction needs a ton of work. The vowels are starting to come along nicely.

Uh thanks? Sorry if that sounds rude or whatever, it's just that your two statements seem to go against each other. Unless you mean the consonants?

Believe me, I definitely find that the diction/consonants/pronunciation is always THE hardest thing when singing songs, and what I mainly work on when I actually practice a song. I feel pretty good considering this was just karaoke/on the spur singing and I haven't properly practiced the song at all.

jco5055

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryugen on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:35 pm

Your consonants and pronunciation aren't that good, but your open vowels are getting better. I don't believe that's a contradiction. It's also like 1:30 in the morning here, so I apologize for my incoherence.
Ryugen
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jco5055 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Ryugen wrote:Your consonants and pronunciation aren't that good, but your open vowels are getting better. I don't believe that's a contradiction. It's also like 1:30 in the morning here, so I apologize for my incoherence.

Oh I see that you were comparing this singing to my last clip. Makes total sense that you would, but I guess in my mind I thought since neither of the clips show any singing that I've regularly practiced, and/or they don't feature the same song that I really thought of "oh, I've gotten better from the last clip!" especially because they're separated by only a few days.

But thanks, I'll DEFINITELY admit I need to start practicing more songs. I've been very busy lately so when I only have X amount to practice I just stick to exercises, but I know that the only real way to get better at singing actual songs is to practice actual songs.

jco5055

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New vids

Post  jco5055 on Tue May 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Ok I have two new clips, and again don't bother watching as it's purely for the audio.

The first is just me range-wanking up to D6, the highest I can go without whistle (I can't whistle at all). Don't mind the Lost Horizon line at the beginning, I was just trying to make sure it was as "heady" as possible so I didn't hurt myself on the subsequent notes.

The second is me singing some "Eyes of a Stranger" a capella. I actually hear some tonal resemblances to Geoff, though I'm not actually trying to copy him here. I'll chalk it up to us both being baritones so there's a similar 'weight'. This was done off the cuff, aka I haven't been practicing it or anything so it's obviously not amazing. I also didn't try to sing along with the song, so that's why the chorus to the verse isn't immediately after another, along with my deep breaths for support.

I definitely notice that the highest notes here aren't as full as I'd like them, but I assume they'll get there as I continue to practice.

I also had a clip of me trying some "Cry of a Restless Soul", but it's pretty rough as you can imagine.

jco5055

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top