Vocal Range: D2 - G♯5
Associated Acts: The Pink Floyd, solo

Significant High Notes:

• G♯5 ("Pow R. Toc H.")
  • E5 ("Astronomy Domine", "Long Gone")
  • E♭5 ("Vegetable Man")
  • C♯5 ("Long Gone")
  • B4 ("Matilda Mother")
  • A4 ("Long Gone", "Apples And Oranges", "Wolfpack")
  • G♯4 ("Apples And Oranges", "Dark Globe")
  • G4 ("Lucifer Sam", "Matilda Mother", "Wolfpack", "Effervescing Elephant", "Rats", "Dark Globe", "If It's In You", "Lucy Leave", "Let's Roll Another One")

Significant Low Notes:

• B2 ("Golden Hair", "Lucy Leave", "She Took A Long Cold Look", "No Man's Land", "Rats", "Late Night")
  • B♭2 ("Let's Roll Another One")
  • A2 ("The Gnome", "Golden Hair", "No Good Trying", "Arnold Layne", "Dolly Rocker", "Candy And A Currant Bun", "She Took A Long Cold Look", "I Never Lied To You", "Gigolo Aunt", "Wined And Dined", "Waving My Arms In The Air", "Vegetable Man")
  • G♯2 ("Matilda Mother", "Waving My Arms In The Air", "Swan Lee")
  • G2 ("The Scarecrow", "No Good Trying", "Candy And A Currant Bun", "Effervescing Elephant", "I Never Lied To You", "Waving My Arms In The Air")
  • F♯2 ("Octopus", "Swan Lee")
  • F2 ("No Man's Land")
  • E2 ("Here I Go", "Long Gone", "Maisie", "Swan Lee (Silas Lang)", "Golden Hair", "No Man's Land", "I Never Lied To You", "Rats", "I'm A King Bee")
  • E♭2 ("Maisie")
  • D2 ("No Man's Land")

Purple marks notes in backing vocals.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Biography:

One of music's brightest diamonds, shining so bright as to capture the wonder and imagination of many a generation to come.  Syd Barrett as an artist represents originality to the fullest, and many of his colleagues always make a point to note the sheer magic that was his creative spirit.  

Making his debut into the music scene in 1965 as the blues act "The Tea Set" featuring Rogers Waters, Richard Wright, and Nick Mason, the band as a collective unit immediately began to transition more and more into something unique and brilliant despite their humble roots.  As the nights went on in London's clubs The Pink Floyd's music, under the charismatic influence of their leader Syd, began to make the evolution from rhythm & blues standards to something a bit more wild and spacy.  It was now the late 60s and the psychedelic music scene was taking the west by storm, and Syd and friends were right in the middle of the fire.

With Syd riding high on top of the youth wave we now had much more interesting tunes to take note of from the young artist.  When the London Underground scene caught ear of The Floyd's new tune "Arnold Layne", right out of the imagination of young Syd, everyone was enthralled at the delightful new psychedelic sound.  With Syd as the ringleader, The Pink Floyd enjoyed success with four singles in the charts and a brand new album backed by EMI The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Tragically, though Syd should have been on top of the world he felt anything but less.  Paranoia, drug abuse, isolation, and possible latent schizophrenia plagued the young man and he quickly and abruptly experienced a decline in mental health.  His friends and band mates feared for his health after witnessing many an unusual sight during their first devastating tour of America.  Eventually, it was settled that Syd was no longer in a state of handling the band and after a few awkward gigs featuring both David Gilmour and Syd it was eventually decided to let Syd go completely.

Fortunately, Syd continued to make two more albums which, although didn't enjoy much commercial success, were well received among friends and enjoyed instant cult classic status.  Sadly, even this brief tenure as a solo artist was to come to an end as in the early 70s we see the complete and total departure of Syd as a musical force.  Though we have so little to enjoy from this mad genius, we can not forsake the beauty and art that he did leave behind.  From his fairy tale-esque lyrics, to the playful, childlike exuberance of his English tenor voice; in Syd we enjoy true joyous, passionate art.

Last edited by The Great Heroins on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:33 am; edited 16 times in total
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Syd Barrett

Post  Nick Drake on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:43 am

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is the only Pink Floyd album I like and it's all because of him. A brilliant musician.
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:56 am

Nick Drake wrote:Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is the only Pink Floyd album I like and it's all because of him. A brilliant musician.

I am a huge Syd Barrett fanboy; he was one of the first musicians I was truly inspired by.  But even with that said, in my own opinion Piper At The Gates Of Dawn as my favorite Pink Floyd album is a bit of a stretch.  With that said, these songs are spectacular in their own way and definitely in a world of their own.

I believe what Floyd had with Syd was incredibly special but admittedly still embryonic.  Let's not forget Wright's contributions to the first album and his growth as a musician with Pink Floyd as they progressed. In short, I love Syd, I believe he was an artistic genius.  However, I also believe his potential was never fully realized.  Not with Pink Floyd or as a solo artist.  

What we DO get however, is fantastic.  His music features some innocent, fun, imaginative, but also sometimes dark moments.  My favorites probably being these songs here:

Last edited by The Great Heroins on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:06 am; edited 2 times in total
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Drake on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:05 am

Agreed. A thing about Piper is that everyone except Wright seemed... a little reluctant. The Pink Floyd with Syd was more Syd that Pink Floyd in my opinion. Sure, they took some influences from Piper on their later albums, but it wasn't like "that", you know?
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:34 pm

The Great Heroins wrote:
Associated Acts: The Pink Floyd
Question
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Moland, it's a sexy little version of the name that was used when the act first appeared.  The "the" capitalizes on all the other late sixties bands with the same title I.E: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Animals, The Monkees, The Byrds, The Kinks, etc, etc.  Thought I'd just have some fun and throw it in to play on the early Pink Floyd days when they were introduced as "The Pink Floyd."

No, I'm not just completely ignorant to the the band's name. Wink
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Just added a short original biography for Syd by yours truly!  (it's long overdue but hey I came through.) I know it's a bit rushed but I had to stop myself from writing a novel, haha!  Hope it enhances the thread! Smile
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:24 pm

funny joke, get ready for real laughs!!!!!!!!!! i fucking hate myself:

The Great Heroins wrote:Just added a short original biography for Syd by yours truly!  (it's long overdue but hey I came through.) I know it's a bit rushed but I had to stop myself from writing a novel, haha!  Hope it enhances the thread! Smile
The Great Heroins wrote:Just added a short original biography for Syd by yours truly!  (it:
The Great Heroins wrote:t added a short original biography for Syd by you
The Great Heroins wrote:ed a short original biography
The Great Heroins wrote:a short ori
The Great Heroins wrote:short
The Great Heroins wrote:short

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Biographies don't get much shorter than that, bruv.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top