Mike Lindup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mike Lindup

Post  MrToddington on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:27 am

Mike Lindup

-
Vocal summary: Fairly light mid-range, extensive falsetto use on higher notes.
Associated with: Level 42 (1980-1994, 2006-present)
Genre(s): Jazz-funk, pop.
-
Examples of singing:
Spoiler:
"Freedom Someday" (Level 42; Running in the Family; 1987) - His mid-range, easy notes around E4 and F♯4.

"West Coast Man" (Mike Lindup; Changes; 1990) - Showing off his somewhat lower range, getting down to C3 here.

"Romance" (Level 42; Forever Now; 1994) - His standard falsetto style, with strong B♭4s and a D5 at the end.
-
Description:
Spoiler:
Mike Lindup is the keyboardist and (occasional lead) vocalist for Level 42. His main vocal contribution is generally in the form of falsetto higher notes alongside lead vocalist Mark King's lower notes.
Lindup's mid-range (and lower) is very solid - from about G4 (I've yet to hear him use his normal tone any higher) he switches to a soulful falsetto sound, which he can take up to some extreme pitches at times.
-
Detailed note listing:
Spoiler:

High Notes:
B♭5 ("Past Lives")
G♯5 ("Are You Hearing (What I Hear)?")
F♯5 ("Are You Hearing (What I Hear)?", "Love Games" live 1987, "Lying Still")
F5 ("Can't Walk You Home")
E5 ("Are You Hearing (What I Hear)?", "Can't Walk You Home", "Dance on Heavy Weather", "Forever Now", "Jung", "Past Lives", "The Chinese Way")
E♭5 ("Free Your Soul" demo, "Freedom Someday", "Standing in the Light", "Take a Look", "The Sleepwalkers", "Three Words")
D5 ("A Pharaoh's Dream (Of Endless Time)", "Desire", "Heaven in My Hands", "I Don't Know Why", "I Want Eyes", "Lessons in Love", "Love in a Peaceful World", "Micro Kid", "One in a Million", "Romance", "Silence", "Talking in Your Sleep", "The Bends", "Tired of Waiting", "To Be With You Again", "True Believers")
C♯5 ("Fashion Fever", "Fire" demo, "Freedom Someday", "Play Me", "The Spirit is Free" live 1991, "The Sunbed Song")
C5 ("Changes", "Follow Me" live 1985, "Heart on the Line (Skeletal)", "It's Over", "Judgement Day", "Last Chance", "Leaving Me Now", "Nothing More to Say" demo, "One in a Million", "Overtime", "Physical Presence", "Why Are You Leaving")
B4 ("Almost There", "Children Say", "Clocks Go Forward", "Coup D'Etat", "Fallen Angel", "Last Chance", "Learn to Say No", "Something About You" solo performance, "Three Words", "Turn It On", "Weave Your Spell")
B♭4 ("Freedom Someday", "Guaranteed", "One in a Million", "Paixao", "Romance", "The Bends")
A4 ("I Sleep on My Heart", "Kansas City Milkman", "Lovely Day", "My Hero", "Set Me Up", "Talking in Your Sleep", "Wings of Love")
G♯4 ("It's Over", "People", "Starchild")

G4 ("Changes", "It's Not the Same For Us", "Lessons in Love", "Man" live 2009, "My Father's Shoes", "Something About You" solo performance, "Two Solitudes")
F♯4 ("Are You Hearing (What I Hear)?", "Clocks Go Forward", "Changes", "Freedom Someday", "If You Were Mine" live 1991, "Kouyate", "Lasso the Moon", "Last Chance", "Love in a Peaceful World", "One in a Million", "Set Me Up", "Starchild", "Ten Years", "The Spirit is Free", "The Sun Goes Down" live 2010)
F4 ("Colour of My Pain", "Desire", "If You Were Mine", "Judgement Day", "My Independence Day", "Play Me", "Silence", "The Bends", "Time Will Heal", "Two Solitudes")

Low Notes:
D3 ("Fallen Angel", "Man", "One in a Million", "Silence", "The Bends", "Two Solitudes", "The Spirit is Free")
C♯3 ("Take Care of Yourself", "The Chinese Way", "Weave Your Spell")
C3 ("Angelo", "Judgement Day", "Life Will Never Be the Same", "My Independence Day", "On the One", "To Be With You Again", "West Coast Man")
B2 ("Guaranteed" live 1991", "Love in a Peaceful World" solo performance, "Play Me", "Something About You" solo performance, "Two Hearts Collide")
B♭2 ("Changes", "Judgement Day", "Paixao")
A2 ("Fallen Angel")
E2 ("Fallen Angel")
D2 ("Changes")

*Blue notes are used here to denote his falsetto sounding approaches.
*Purple notes are used to denote backing vocals.
*Green notes are used to denote falsetto sounding notes in backing vocals.

These colours are my own subjective interpretations.
-
Further listening:
Spoiler:

-
Author Notes:
Spoiler:
All of his work with Level 42 has been checked, except their 2013 release "Sirens". He has a recent solo EP that I haven't got my hands on yet, either.

I've listed his lowest notes (from his solo album "Changes"), though I have a suspicion they might be somewhat pitch shifted. Will investigate further.

This thread was created by MrToddington.

Last edited by MrToddington on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:51 am; edited 8 times in total
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mike Lindup

Post  Private Perineum on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:40 am

Tenor.

Popcorn
Private Perineum

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:55 am

why do u gotta do that man it hurts me do u just want to see me is that it do u miss me Sad
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Austere McNugget wrote:Tenor.
Well, yeah. I can agree with that. Razz

The Great Lurex wrote:why do u gotta do that man it hurts me do u just want to see me is that it do u miss me Sad
Wha?
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top