View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bryan Donahue- Vocal Range

Post  DJNinja on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Voice Type: Tenor
Vocal Range: (B3-E5)
Boyslikegirls: Lead & Harmony Voices/bass 2005-2011
Early Morning Blues: Lead & Harmony Voices 2010-Present

Top of Range:

E5:   "Hero/Heroine" (Boyslikegirls), "Holiday" (Boyslikegirls), "Echoes" (Early Morning Blues)
Eb5: "Heels Over Head" (Boyslikegirls)
D5:   "Five Minutes to Midnight" (Boyslikegirls), "Thunder" (Boyslikegirls), "Dance Hall Drug" (Boyslikegirls), "Broken Man" (Boyslikegirls), "Echoes" (Early Morning Blues)
C#5: "On Top of The World" (Boyslikegirls), "Me, You, and My Medication" (Boyslikegirls)
C5:   "Hero/Heroine" (Boyslikegirls), "War and Wisdom" (Early Morning Blues), "Never Leave" (Early Morning Blues)
B4:   "The Great Escape" (Boyslikegirls), "Hero/Heroine" (Boyslikegirls), "Up Against The Wall" (Boyslikegirls), "War and Wisdom" (Early Morning Blues), "Echoes" (Early Morning Blues)
Bb:   "Learning to Fall" (Boyslikegirls)
A4:   "Learning to Fall" (Boyslikegirls), "War and Wisdom" (Early Morning Blues), Chapter One (Early Morning Blues), "Echoes" (Early Morning Blues)

Bottom of Range:

B3: "Never Leave" (Early Morning Blues)

Showcases (Boyslikegirls):

"Thunder"- Hear Bryan singing a Counter-melody during the song's final choruses (3:17)
"Up Against The Wall"- Bryan sings lead in the bridge of this track (2:15)
"Learning to Fall"- Gorgeous high harmony at (1:53)
"Broken Man"- Pure Donahue high harmony in the choruses. Bryan also sings lead and harmony vocals in the bridge. The use of unparalleled harmonies and suspensions showcase Bryan's good ear for harmony.  Lastly, Bryan also sings a counter-melody at the end of the song (3:01). (The auto-tuned harmonies during the verses are Martin Johnson, not Bryan)

**Please note that Boyslikegirls’ 2nd album, ‘Love Drunk’ 2009, is not referenced at all in this post.  I believe this is because Bryan was not allowed to sing at all on this record nor is he credited for singing any vocals in the liner notes.  Listeners won’t be able to help notice the absence of Bryan’s distinct, crystalline high harmony on all songs of this album.  Instead, the band’s lead singer, Martin Johnson, "sang" his own backup harmonies, although they sound artificial and auto-tuned to me.  It is widely known that the vocal abilities of Bryan Donahue are superior to that of Martin Johnson, and there are rumors that such realities caused tensions within the band which later lead to Bryan being kicked out of the band in 2011.

Showcases (Early Morning Blues):
**(As of 2015, Early Morning Blues have unfortunately only released a 4-track EP ['Newest Versions' 2010] which includes the songs listed below.  The entire EP is a great showcase for Bryan's soaring vocal abilities, in the contexts of both lead and harmony parts.)

"War and Wisdom"
"Chapter One"
"Never Leave"
"Echoes"

Last edited by DJNinja on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:09 pm; edited 5 times in total
DJNinja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bryan Donahue

Post  MrChongHead on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:16 pm

MrChongHead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bryan Donahue- Vocal Range

Post  DJNinja on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:41 pm

I made sure to read the "before making a thread 101". Did I miss something or is something still wrong with my post-in-progress?

Thanks
DJNinja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bryan Donahue

Post  MrChongHead on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:12 pm

When I saw it, all I saw was nothing but a picture. Could've been my computer glitching.
Sorry about that Sad
EDIT: In future reference, don't just put a picture and a name on the WIP area. Start off with notes as well.

MrChongHead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bryan Donahue- Vocal Range

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top