Keith Richards

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Keith Richards

Post  Gomper on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Current Status: UNFINISHED

Voice Type: Baritenor
Vocal Range: C2-C5

Significant High Notes:
C5  ("Sweet Virginia" Live '72, "Dandelion")
B4  ("Big Enough", "Sweet Virginia" Live '72, "Happy", "Worried Life Blues", "2000 Light Years From Home", "Dandelion", "Eileen", "Honky Tonk Women")
B♭4 ("Loving Cup", "She's A Rainbow", "Runnin' Too Deep", "Wicked As It Seems")
A4  ("Connection" Live '89, "You Got The Silver", "Hang Fire", "Happy", "No Use In Crying", "You Don't Have To Mean It", "Dead Flowers" Live '72, "We Love You")
G♯4 ("Before They Make Me Run", "Happy", "Goin' Home", "Sure The One You Need" Live '75, "19th Nervous Breakdown", "Wanna Hold You")
G4  ("I Could Have Stood You Up", "Run Rudolph Run", "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" Toronto '77 Bootleg, "I'm Alright" Live '64, "Connection", "Soul Survivor" Alternate take, "Act Together" Live '74,
"You Don't Have To Mean It", "You Got The Silver", "Hate It When You Leave", "Sure The One You Need", "Run Rudolph Run")
F♯4 ("19th Nervous Breakdown" Live '66, "Let's Spend The Night Together", "Happy", "Big Enough", "Short and Curlies", "Will But You Won't")

Significant Low Notes:
D3 ("Thief In The Night", "Infamy", "Say It's Not You", "How Can I Stop?", "Coming Down Again", "The Worst", "Wicked As It Seems")
C3 ("Soul Survivor" Alternate take, "Sleep Tonight", "Key To The Highway", "Wild Horses" Live '04, "Demon", "Eileen", "Make No Mistake")
B2 ("Sleep Tonight", "Locked Away", "We Had It All")
A2 ("Big Enough", "Worried Life Blues", "Love is Strong", "Yap Yap")
G2 ("Locked Away")
F♯2("Girl From The Northern Country")
F2 ("Yap Yap")
E2 ("Rivers of Babylon", "Love Hurts" Live '04")
D2 ("Crying, Waiting, Hoping" Barbados '93 Bootleg, "Pressure Drop", "Make No Mistake")
C2 ("Hurricane", "Cocaine Blues")

*Underlines mark notes in backing vocals or otherwise obscured.
*Blue marks soft falsetto notes.
*Italics mark spoken notes.

Last edited by Gomper on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:34 pm; edited 24 times in total
Gomper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Keith Richards

Post  Starman on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:07 am

Maybe bring his lows up to C3/D3 for the time being, just because it's safe to have that area covered too. But no, honestly man, very neat and tidy thread you've made!! For a first OP, this is actually really nice, great job!! Thumb up
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Drake on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:16 am

What a great first thread! Would love a description of his voice or just something to make the thread a bit more intresting. Honestly though, great thread although you should move his lows up to C3.

Love his voice. He has a fantastic tone to his voice.
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:44 am

His voice is fantastic, it's a very weird voice that's for sure.
His tone is great, and so is his phrasing.

And the weird thing is, he seems to get better at singing year after year.
His high notes are very resonant, whils't his lows are very solid and insanely strong (His ask Keith section on YouTube has him dip in to low 2nd octave stuff all the time)

Oh by the way, he hits a C#5 in "Plundered My Soul" It's a backingvocal.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:43 am

Not hearing any G1s in "Hurricane", but really good sung C2s in that one! The "it only TIGHTens up" line in "Struggle" bottoms at C♯2 as far as I can tell, but the "hmmm" sounds like a B1 if anyone cares about that. It would be nice if you listed that in italics though, since it's a spoken passage rather than a sung one. Also, if you specifically want to indicate that line as having the low notes in that song, might I suggest embedding a YouTube link and timestamp (like this) into the OP rather than listing the line itself in parenthesis? It'd look a lot neater that way.

Lastly, can you give me a timestamp for the alleged A1 in "Pressure Drop"? The only lows I heard in that song were this brief spoken bit here, and I'm having a hard time pitching that one myself, but I think it might be like D2 or so?
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:53 am

He has G4s in his harmony on "Connection".
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomper on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:55 am

Wanderlust wrote:Not hearing any G1s in "Hurricane", but really good sung C2s in that one! The "it only TIGHTens up" line in "Struggle" bottoms at C♯2 as far as I can tell, but the "hmmm" sounds like a B1 if anyone cares about that. It would be nice if you listed that in italics though, since it's a spoken passage rather than a sung one. Also, if you specifically want to indicate that line as having the low notes in that song, might I suggest embedding a YouTube link and timestamp (like this) into the OP rather than listing the line itself in parenthesis? It'd look a lot neater that way.

Lastly, can you give me a timestamp for the alleged A1 in "Pressure Drop"? The only lows I heard in that song were this brief spoken bit here, and I'm having a hard time pitching that one myself, but I think it might be like D2 or so?

Ah, Bollocks. You're right, sorry, I'll amend these straight away. I was sure I heard an A1 in that brief spoken bit but you'd probably be more accurate pitching than me, it is pretty difficult to pitch hence my mistake. Thanks.

Oh and to everyone else thanks for the feedback and praise. Will add that note immediately, Bradphone. Oh, and thanks Holsety.

Last edited by Gomper on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Gomper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:56 am

Just checked a few of the songs in the high notes section and those are way off too. "You Got the Silver" tops at A4, and there's nothing remotely close to A5 in the alternate take of "Soul Survivor". However, he does have G♯4s, A4s, and a B4 in "Happy", so you can add those to the highs section. Smile
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomper on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:13 am

Wanderlust wrote:Just checked a few of the songs in the high notes section and those are way off too. "You Got the Silver" tops at A4, and there's nothing remotely close to A5 in the alternate take of "Soul Survivor". However, he does have G♯4s, A4s, and a B4 in "Happy", so you can add those to the highs section. Smile

Thanks, sorry; I'll have to be less negligent with note watching from now on. Thumb up
Gomper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:17 am

bradphone wrote:Oh by the way, he hits a C#5 in "Plundered My Soul" It's a backingvocal.
I hear the notes you're talking about (and some E5s over them), but are you sure they're Keith? Sounds like a female backing vocalist to me, and Lisa Fischer is credited for backing vocals, so...
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:38 am

Wanderlust wrote:
bradphone wrote:Oh by the way, he hits a C#5 in "Plundered My Soul" It's a backingvocal.
I hear the notes you're talking about (and some E5s over them), but are you sure they're Keith? Sounds like a female backing vocalist to me, and Lisa Fischer is credited for backing vocals, so...

Listen closely to the line "But it's my heart that you stole" Male backingvocalist is Keith, atleast he sounds like it
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:43 am

The one at 0:54? I dunno man...
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:56 am

Wanderlust wrote:

I hear:
Lead > Mick.
Screamed Backingvocals > Keith.
Sung Backingvocals > Lisa.
At that point.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:05 am

I'll give it the benefit of a doubt for now, but I think some other opinions would be helpful.

A few other pointers on the thread:
- I'd recommend using italics to mark spoken notes (like that "Struggle" one) and denoting them as such in the key at the bottom of the OP.
- Probably would be worth adding the C♯2 from "Struggle" too, since that's actually a fairly strong note, whereas the B1 is just a "hmm".
- It'd be preferable if you could just use blue for soft falsetto notes, rather than "probable non-modal notes". The term "non-modal" is really dated for us at this point, and most of us don't really bother trying to distinguish between registers like that anymore unless it's an obvious case of a soft falsetto or screamed false cord note.
- On that note, where is the falsetto C5 in "Soul Survivor"? The highest falsetto note that I heard in that was like G4, though there are some nice C3s that I think would be worth adding.
- You have his vocal range listed as "B1-C♯5 (So far)", but you only have him listed up to C5 in the high notes section. Might want to be a little more consistent about that. Wink
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomper on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:09 am

Wanderlust wrote:
Spoiler:

Bradphone wrote:
I hear:
Lead > Mick.
Screamed Backingvocals > Keith.
Sung Backingvocals > Lisa.
At that point.

I'm pretty sure that's Cindy Mizelle doing that part.
Gomper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomper on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:12 am

Wanderlust wrote:I'll give it the benefit of a doubt for now, but I think some other opinions would be helpful.

A few other pointers on the thread:
- I'd recommend using italics to mark spoken notes (like that "Struggle" one) and denoting them as such in the key at the bottom of the OP.
- Probably would be worth adding the C♯2 from "Struggle" too, since that's actually a fairly strong note, whereas the B1 is just a "hmm".
- It'd be preferable if you could just use blue for soft falsetto notes, rather than "probable non-modal notes". The term "non-modal" is really dated for us at this point, and most of us don't really bother trying to distinguish between registers like that anymore unless it's an obvious case of a soft falsetto or screamed false cord note.
- On that note, where is the falsetto C5 in "Soul Survivor"? The highest falsetto note that I heard in that was like G4, though there are some nice C3s that I think would be worth adding.
- You have his vocal range listed as "B1-C♯5 (So far)", but you only have him listed up to C5 in the high notes section. Might want to be a little more consistent about that. Wink

Will do. Thanks mate. Thumb up
Gomper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:16 pm

Wanderlust wrote:- I'd recommend using italics to mark spoken notes (like that "Struggle" one)
Wasn\'t Me
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aesthetics on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Maybe I can help about those "Plundered My Soul" C♯5's. At first when the song first came out it was theorized(and assumed) by some that Keith was doing the backing vocals, but now that i look it's Mick Taylor that's actually credited with those backing vocals, along with Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle.
aesthetics

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:27 am

Dunno if this thread is still being updated, but I'm hearing B4s by Keith on each of the choruses here (i.e. 0:50). Also:
Gomper wrote:Vocal Range: B1-G5

Significant High Notes:
C5  ("Sweet Virginia" Live '72, "Dandelion")
Eh
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top