Ken Tamplin

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Bdub1177 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:23 pm

^good point, pretty rare for a tenor to have a lower extension of that magnitude. And yea he is totally about money, I heard his "free vocal samples" are just him pasting "not bad but you need to buy my program and learn the open throat method".
Bdub1177

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Bdub1177 wrote:^good point, pretty rare for a tenor to have a lower extension of that magnitude. And yea he is totally about money, I heard his "free vocal samples" are just him pasting "not bad but you need to buy my program and learn the open throat method".

That's so true! He is always on about OTT and yet doesn't have a video to demonstrate it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bdub1177 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm

^right? And in his video about head voice he talks about bringing the vocal cords close together, yet still having a low larynx and using the OTT. Alright, how? Lol
Bdub1177

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Berock on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Bdub1177 wrote:Personally, I think it's more likely that he's actually a tenor who perfected his upward extension, and developed a strong chest voice, and chooses to sing chest heavy.
False. Not only does he have the natural grit and weight of a bari, he also sings with a tessitura of one in the vocal warm-up videos, for example, it's very natural. His lower range is dark and strong, as the rest of his voice. His speaking sometimes sounds rather feminine, but it seems more like affectation, as sometimes it gets back to the usual deep sound, as in the warm-up tapes. Besides, his Grenade cover really highlights the fact that his voice is NOT naturally light or bright, as he has to bring his chesty sound up to hit those notes, lacking the natural ringing sound of a tenor. NOT TO MENTION Nessun Dorma, where he sings the B4 well (akin to Eric Adams), but definitely lacks the tenor's ease, sounding like your typical (great) baritone singing the finale note.

Simply accept the fact that a male being can sing high, no matter what his voice is like.
Cowboy Berock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bdub1177 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Take it easy there cowboy
Bdub1177

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Berock on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Cowboy Berock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bdub1177 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 pm

My bad I had no idea u were such a stud
Bdub1177

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rustyfo on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 am

The things I've taken from Ken's course is primarily the whole open throat concept (he has some in depth videos in the course that aren't on youtube). It took me a fairly long time but once you finally nail that it gives you the freedom to experiment since you almost can't hurt yourself while in a full-on open throat position.
I like Ken's approach to distorted singing as well, even though he applies it quite weirdly a lot of the time. His breath support concept is solid as well, but he wildly exaggerates the emphasis on it.
 The biggest problem with KTVA for me is the complete lack of focus on building head voice, so that's basically what I've been experimenting with on my own for ages now.

And yeah the whole "how to sing like.." series is pretty much useless, as well as poor covers in most cases. I still haven't seen any better online course though where the teacher actually can sing...
Is the Arcenaux guy actually that good of a singer? The few actual songs I've managed to find of him performing seem to be wildly lopsided in favour of head voice (which granted sounds pretty good).
rustyfo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bdub1177 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:12 am

Right on. How do u apply the OTT? If u don't mind giving a quick synopsis:)
Bdub1177

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rustyfo on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:46 am

Well it really isn't something mystical magical thing. I'm sure all good singers are doing it in some fashion, whether they are aware of it or not. It's essentially a combination of raising - and maintaining - a lifted wide soft palate whilst keeping the tongue from interfering with the space at the back of your throat. It is simple enough but being able to consistently stay in it, without having to think about it, while actually singing a song is more of a challenge.
Tamplin again here goes way overboard with some weird tongue techniques that, granted, do help prevent strain but at the same time are part of what often gives him that weird tone he sings too much with.
rustyfo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Only just watched this, he's actually a kind of a prick.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bdub1177 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:07 pm

What. A. Douche.
Bdub1177

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:17 pm

douche? prick? Eh c'mon, he's totally right

Last edited by DonutsGalacticos on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bdub1177 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:19 pm

It's his mannerisms and how he's soo full of himself. And that's just not the way to present/make that point IMO.
Bdub1177

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Bdub1177 wrote:It's his mannerisms and how he's soo full of himself. And that's just not the way to present/make that point IMO.

I have to agree. To a certain extent I agree with donuts, He knows what he's talking about and no doubt his course is probably very benefitial. On the otherhand, the way he made that video and just his presentation is just really badly done and does make him look a right prick.

Back to top Go down

Post  Toyman on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Get your gas cans ready mother fuckers he's a Christian! Don't trust him! Okay, I'm a Norwegian kvlt/black metalist...Varg Vikernes minded mother fucker! Now, here's my points! Okay, so he's a Christian he learned to talk that way, and manner things like that doesn't mean he's a bad guy. His point is...don't be a complete freeloader! If you want to succeed at something invest in it! Sure, he has that "Christian" thief tone in his voice, but he does make a valid point. Give up something you don't really need, and invest in something you really need...that you are actually passionate about. *puts burning tools away*
Toyman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B6 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Harmony G2s and F2s in the Cobain video? The "hello hello hello how low" etc. parts.
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:52 pm

yup, sounds more like weird al yankovic than cobain btw
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jco5055 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Sure he might come off that he's full of himself sometimes and such, and he has yet to do a cover of Tate/Kiske or another head voice dominated/light singer but is there really a better program out there/a vocal coach who sings better?  I've seen how you guys slag on Kevin Richards, and I can't imagine you're too much into Brett Manning or other SLS guys.  

Now if only some legendary singer like Heiman/Gildenlow/Lambert/Cornell etc would release a program.  You can always find lessons/vids with Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci and tons of other great guitarists, why not singers?

jco5055

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Foo on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Which voice type is olive? Razz
Foo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WhySoSirius...Black? on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:27 am

High baritone.

WhySoSirius...Black?
Banned By Request

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  axisundone on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:11 am

Scream at 1:25 tops at Bb5
axisundone

View user profile http://www.habuband.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cro on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:47 pm

axisundone wrote:Scream at 1:25 tops at Bb5
It's already mentioned on page 3.
Cro
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:37 pm

I just realized this guy co-wrote a KISS song! Shocked Even tho it`s my least favourite song on COS

I can certainly hear his influence in the technique and phrasing in it too, even if it is Gene singing.
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 am

wow at verses sounds just like Tamplin Surprised
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content