Ken Tamplin

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:09 am

Prometheus wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:
Spoiler:

Ken really starts letting it loose @ 9:33.

Multiple powerful C5s, a few Eb5s, plus a huge G5 @ 9:47 Shocked and F5 afterwards.
Uhmm, wrong timestamp?
Confused my mistake I still had the url saved from a video I linked in my thread and forgot to copy the new one. The video is from kens "how to sing soul/r&b" it's about 10 mins long. I can't link it right now though because my college blocks the recreational side of youtube Pff
avatar
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

Posts : 747
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 22
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Prometheus on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:04 am

wabba_treads wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:
Spoiler:

Ken really starts letting it loose @ 9:33.

Multiple powerful C5s, a few Eb5s, plus a huge G5 @ 9:47 Shocked and F5 afterwards.
Uhmm, wrong timestamp?
Confused my mistake I still had the url saved from a video I linked in my thread and forgot to copy the new one. The video is from kens "how to sing soul/r&b" it's about 10 mins long. I can't link it right now though because my college blocks the recreational side of youtube Pff
That's a shame Sad Why do your college block videos?


Last edited by Prometheus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2014-07-10
Age : 22
Location : Manisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:01 am

Prometheus wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:
Spoiler:

Ken really starts letting it loose @ 9:33.

Multiple powerful C5s, a few Eb5s, plus a huge G5 @ 9:47 Shocked and F5 afterwards.
Uhmm, wrong timestamp?
Confused my mistake I still had the url saved from a video I linked in my thread and forgot to copy the new one. The video is from kens "how to sing soul/r&b" it's about 10 mins long. I can't link it right now though because my college blocks the recreational side of youtube Pff
That's a shame Sad Why do your college block videos?

Sorry for the wait guys... I had to wait til my Grandma was done reserving flights so I could use my laptop. Laughing

As for my college well, I guess youtube isn't "educational" enough.  Rolling Eyes

Spoiler:

Here it is. Cool performances throughout that are probably worth a mention in the OP.
avatar
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

Posts : 747
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 22
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Prometheus on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:53 am

Spoiler:
0:47 G#5,G5,F5


Last edited by Prometheus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2014-07-10
Age : 22
Location : Manisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Prometheus on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:35 am

Spoiler:
1:43 G5 also at 2:17 amazingly sustained G5, 2:45 brief Bb5, 2:51 A5


Last edited by Prometheus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2014-07-10
Age : 22
Location : Manisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Lurex on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:19 am

Prometheus wrote:
Spoiler:
1:43 G5 also at 2:17 amazingly sustained G5, 2:45 brief Bb5, 2:51 A5
his fucking tongue is stressing me out.  put that shit down.
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Prometheus on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:22 am

lemon tea wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
Spoiler:
1:43 G5 also at 2:17 amazingly sustained G5, 2:45 brief Bb5, 2:51 A5
his fucking tongue is stressing me out.  put that shit down.
Ahahha it's annoying but it is part of his technique. I think it keeps the throat open or something


Last edited by Prometheus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2014-07-10
Age : 22
Location : Manisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Rebsedd on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:35 am

http://youtu.be/Rahxj-gfqsI?t=16m26s

Damn. Dem A5s.

Is anybody gonna' take over this thread?
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 20
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Private Perineum on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Spoiler:

One of the toughest pieces Ken's ever tried. Amazing higher belting ranging from constant lines around B4-D5 to a freaky A5. Nails the Halford-like harmonies!
avatar
Private Perineum

Posts : 717
Join date : 2015-03-14

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Ken Tamplin

Post  dkaida on Fri May 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Just an FYI and my personal opinion of Ken Tamplin and his course:
I bought Ken Tamplin's full course.
After watching his videos, in particular, the volume 1 videos, I realized there was a gap in his method.
His videos demonstrating the LAH vowel and breath support failed to explain what specifically about these exercises would enable you to raise your pitch.
Knowing the laws of physics, I know that air pressure does not raise the pitch of a note - only the physical stretching and/or thinning of the vocal cords do.
I wanted an explanation from Ken as to how his LAH exercises would accomplish the stretching and/or thinning of the vocal cords, so I sent him an email. I received a response - book a lesson.
I then posted the same question on one of his forums. Ken's sidekick, Bob, who moderates his forums, deleted my post the next morning.
This is how Ken treats anyone who doesn't show him or his methods in the best light.

dkaida

Posts : 1
Join date : 2015-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  ryugen2 on Fri May 22, 2015 2:49 pm

dkaida wrote:Just an FYI and my personal opinion of Ken Tamplin and his course:
I bought Ken Tamplin's full course.
After watching his videos, in particular, the volume 1 videos, I realized there was a gap in his method.
His videos demonstrating the LAH vowel and breath support failed to explain what specifically about these exercises would enable you to raise your pitch.
Knowing the laws of physics, I know that air pressure does not raise the pitch of a note - only the physical stretching and/or thinning of the vocal cords do.
I wanted an explanation from Ken as to how his LAH exercises would accomplish the stretching and/or thinning of the vocal cords, so I sent him an email. I received a response - book a lesson.
I then posted the same question on one of his forums. Ken's sidekick, Bob, who moderates his forums, deleted my post the next morning.
This is how Ken treats anyone who doesn't show him or his methods in the best light.

He's not a physicist or scientist. He just teaches how he sings to others and methods to develop the technique and sound that he uses.

ryugen2

Posts : 95
Join date : 2015-05-22
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  jco5055 on Sat May 23, 2015 7:00 am

Anybody else notice that, if you allow for differences because of different voice types and being different people, that Ken and Brad Delp sing the exact same way/sound very similar?

jco5055

Posts : 121
Join date : 2012-10-10
Age : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  wabba_treads on Sat May 23, 2015 8:41 am

Spoiler:

I was actually a bit wary of how this would come out, since Axl has such a different approach than Ken's, but he pulled this song off damn nicely! Multiple C#5s thorughout. Theres also some E5s, an A5, plus a sustained F#5 on the fast section towards the end.
avatar
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

Posts : 747
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 22
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  ChillShaman on Sat May 23, 2015 8:50 am

dkaida wrote:Just an FYI and my personal opinion of Ken Tamplin and his course:
I bought Ken Tamplin's full course.
After watching his videos, in particular, the volume 1 videos, I realized there was a gap in his method.
His videos demonstrating the LAH vowel and breath support failed to explain what specifically about these exercises would enable you to raise your pitch.
Knowing the laws of physics, I know that air pressure does not raise the pitch of a note - only the physical stretching and/or thinning of the vocal cords do.
I wanted an explanation from Ken as to how his LAH exercises would accomplish the stretching and/or thinning of the vocal cords, so I sent him an email. I received a response - book a lesson.
I then posted the same question on one of his forums. Ken's sidekick, Bob, who moderates his forums, deleted my post the next morning.
This is how Ken treats anyone who doesn't show him or his methods in the best light.

Jeez, what a pair of arseholes...Has your singing improved though?
avatar
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

Posts : 917
Join date : 2014-07-24
Age : 20
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  wabba_treads on Sat May 23, 2015 9:41 am

dkaida wrote:Just an FYI and my personal opinion of Ken Tamplin and his course:
I bought Ken Tamplin's full course.
After watching his videos, in particular, the volume 1 videos, I realized there was a gap in his method.
His videos demonstrating the LAH vowel and breath support failed to explain what specifically about these exercises would enable you to raise your pitch.
Knowing the laws of physics, I know that air pressure does not raise the pitch of a note - only the physical stretching and/or thinning of the vocal cords do.
I wanted an explanation from Ken as to how his LAH exercises would accomplish the stretching and/or thinning of the vocal cords, so I sent him an email. I received a response - book a lesson.
I then posted the same question on one of his forums. Ken's sidekick, Bob, who moderates his forums, deleted my post the next morning.
This is how Ken treats anyone who doesn't show him or his methods in the best light.

I also have Ken's full course. I think Ken starts simple with easy to grasp concepts for the beginner, with not too much technical information about how these things work in volume 1, and it gradually builds from there in the next volumes. While I think your whole situation could have been handled better by the moderating staff, if Ken had gone into the science behind what muscles are responsible for stretching the folds and what makes the transition from chest voice to head voice tick, it may confuse some new students, and it definitely would've taken an article to cover (maybe even a book!).

If you want a more scientific approach when you first start out, go with CVT (Complete Vocal Technique) or Robert Lunte's Four Pillars of Singing.
avatar
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

Posts : 747
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 22
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  axisundone on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:20 am

Ken sounds incredible here! I love his chesty sound on this kind of music. Spectacular F#5 with trills to G#5 at 5:07  Heavy metal

Spoiler:


Last edited by Prometheus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Timestamp)
avatar
axisundone

Posts : 324
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 29
Location : Ipswich, England

View user profile http://www.habuband.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  jco5055 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:33 am

axisundone wrote:Ken sounds incredible here! I love his chesty sound on this kind of music. Spectacular F#5 with trills to G#5 at 5:07  Heavy metal

Spoiler:


Yeah that is definitely a very good cover.


I think there's kind of a sweet spot with Ken.  Either he sounds freaking amazing or like it's good, but doesn't standout imo.  I don't think it's just when he does covers of "chest-heavy" singers, as I'd guess Michael Sweet is actually pretty light.  I think it's more when he just sings rockers or aggressive songs.  When he does stuff like Ed Sheeran it seems kind of a let down imo, just because he can't get that pure, almost SLS-esque tone.

Speaking of which, I'd love for him to cover Graham Bonnet.  It would be a total chest fest Dance

jco5055

Posts : 121
Join date : 2012-10-10
Age : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  rustyfo on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:08 am

Ken Tamplin is good at singing heavy, agressive fast-paced type songs.
KTVA is a - probably fairly effective - method to improve your voice towards a Ken Tamplin like sound.
Ken Tamplin rarely produces a sound that's sonically pleasing in a Soul/RnB/Folk/etc. type setting.
avatar
rustyfo

Posts : 215
Join date : 2013-02-27
Age : 28
Location : Copenhagen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  jco5055 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:29 am

rustyfo wrote:Ken Tamplin is good at singing heavy, agressive fast-paced type songs.
KTVA is a - probably fairly effective - method to improve your voice towards a Ken Tamplin like sound.
Ken Tamplin rarely produces a sound that's sonically pleasing in a Soul/RnB/Folk/etc. type setting.


Yeah, well I feel like heavy singing is actually the "easiest" to develop, at least assuming you don't want a softer voice to just sound like falsetto. Hell I'm pretty sure my soft high voice aka when I go Steve Perry mode sounds too much like falsetto for my tastes, though sometimes I wonder if you have to naturally have a high, tenor-ish voice type to sound good singing light and high.

jco5055

Posts : 121
Join date : 2012-10-10
Age : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Private Perineum on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:03 pm

jco5055 wrote:Speaking of which, I'd love for him to cover Graham Bonnet.  It would be a total chest fest Dance

Tell him that on the comments section! I already did, suggested "Hiroshima Mon Amour" myself (which would make for one hell of a cover)... All about the popularity of requests as well as Ken's personal favourites.
avatar
Private Perineum

Posts : 717
Join date : 2015-03-14

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:17 am

Austere McNugget wrote:
jco5055 wrote:Speaking of which, I'd love for him to cover Graham Bonnet.  It would be a total chest fest Dance

Tell him that on the comments section! I already did, suggested "Hiroshima Mon Amour" myself (which would make for one hell of a cover)... All about the popularity of requests as well as Ken's personal favourites.

Oh man I think I saw your comment. Which video of his was yours on? I can't remember No, no...

I'm gonna go and second your comment, maybe he'll consider covering Bonnet even more. Pray


Last edited by wabba_treads on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

Posts : 747
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 22
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am

wabba_treads wrote:
Austere McNugget wrote:
jco5055 wrote:Speaking of which, I'd love for him to cover Graham Bonnet.  It would be a total chest fest Dance

Tell him that on the comments section! I already did, suggested "Hiroshima Mon Amour" myself (which would make for one hell of a cover)... All about the popularity of requests as well as Ken's personal favourites.

Oh man I think I saw you're comment. Which video of his was yours on? I can't remember No, no...

I'm gonna go and second your comment, maybe he'll consider covering Bonnet even more. Pray

I will third it, that would be really awesome to say the least.
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Private Perineum on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:13 pm

In Love

Where will you post it? Remember to mention the track title, as he'd probably go for "All Night Long" or "Since You Been Gone" otherwise.
avatar
Private Perineum

Posts : 717
Join date : 2015-03-14

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Prometheus on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN2kL6S6ZQQ
I posted on this one (not my account)
avatar
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2014-07-10
Age : 22
Location : Manisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:55 pm

Hmm, you think he'll notice if we all request Bonnet on different videos? Or will he see somethings up? Laughing
avatar
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

Posts : 747
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 22
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ken Tamplin

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum