James Dean Bradfield

View previous topic View next topic Go down

James Dean Bradfield

Post  Your_Latest_Trick on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:54 am

Voice Type: Tenor
Vocal Range: F#2-G5

Lead singer and guitarist for the Manic Street Preachers. In addition to being a well-established guitarist, he wields a very impressive vocal range, usually belting a B4/C5 in the vast majority of songs. Over the Manics' career, his voice has aged with a darker/huskier texture, but he still seems to have little trouble reaching his highs. He obviously doesn't have as many lows, mainly because Nicky Wire handles most of the lower singing for him, but when he does sing them they come out surprisingly strong, if not a little nasal and bright.

Significant High Notes:

G5: "Rock and Roll Music", "Condemned to Rock n' Roll (Live)"
F♯5: "Motown Junk (Live in Astoria 1992)", "What's My Name"
F5: "Condemned to Rock n' Roll", "Slash n' Burn", "Little Baby Nothing", "Another Invented Disease", "Wrote For Luck"
E5: "The Girl Who Wanted to Be God", "The Masses Against the Classes", "Born a Girl", "Motorcycle Emptiness (Live Roundhouse 2011)" "Sleepflower", "It's So Easy" "Crucifix Kiss" "Symphony of Tourette"
E♭5: "Kevin Carter", "Condemned to Rock n' Roll", "From Despair to Where", "Drug Drug Druggy", "Jackie Collins Existential Question Time", "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head", "The Second Great Depression" "A Design For Life-Live"
D5: "Condemned to Rock n' Roll", "Another Invented Disease", "From Despair to Where", "Roses in the Hospital" "Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart", "P.C.P.", "Theme From M.A.S.H", "La Tristesse Durera", "Enola/Alone", "Underdogs", "Autumnsong", "Imperial Bodybags", "You Love Us Live at Reading 1992", "Motown Junk (Live in Astoria 1992)", "Walk Me to the Bridge", "Nobody Loved You", "Pretension//Repulsion"
C♯5: "Slash n' Burn", "Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart", "Die in the Summertime", "The Masses Against the Classes", "You Stole the Sun From My Heart", "Born to End", "Roses in the Hospital", "So Why so Sad", "Removables", "Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier", "Interiors", "Rendition", "Ready For Drowning", "Black Dog on My Shoulder", "S.Y.M.M.", "Prologue to History", "Yourself", "Motorcycle Emptiness Live at Glastonbury 2014", "Motown Junk (Live in Astoria 1992)",  "Sex, Power, Love, and Money", "Out of Time (Live- Jools Holland)" "Symphony of Tourette"
C5: "A Design For Life", "Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier", "Condemned to Rock n' Roll", "Another Invented Disease", "So Dead", "Little Baby Nothing", "Crucifix Kiss", "Of Walking Abortion", "Mausoleum", "Theme From M.A.S.H", "La Tristesse Durera", "Archives of Pain", "Life Becoming a Landslide", "Yourself", "Roses in the Hospital", "Gold Against the Soul", "Nostalgic Pushead", "The Everlasting", "Everything Must Go", "The Girl Who Wanted to Be God", "Ready For Drowning", "You're Tender and You're Tired", "Still a Long Way to Go", "Further Away", "That's no Way to Tell a Lie", "P.C.P", "Donkeys", "Underdogs", "I'm Just a Patsy", "Let's Go to War", "Be Natural", "Nobody Loved You", "Sleepflower"
B4: "Motown Junk", "Slash n' Burn", "Everything Must Go", "Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier", "Australia", "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next", "I'm Not Working", "Nat West-Barclays-Midlands-Lloyds", "Born to End", "You Love Us", "Methadone Pretty", "Crucifix Kiss", "Yes", "Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart", "She Is Suffering", "Faster", "Of Walking Abortion", "Revol", "Archives of Pain", "4st 7lb", "Die in the Summertime", "P.C.P", "Nostalgic Pushead", "La Tristesse Durera", "Gold Against the Soul", "From Despair to Where", "Kevin Carter", "Love's Sweet Exile", "Yourself", "Drug Drug Druggy", "The Masses Against the Classes", "So Why so Sad", "Found That Soul", "An English Gentleman", "Ocean Spray", "The Intense Humming of Evil", "Judge Y'rself", "Democracy Coma", "Send Away the Tigers", "Your Love Alone Is Not Enough", "Indian Summer", "Autumnsong", "Imperial Bodybags", "Winterlovers", "Mayakovsky", "Peeled Apples", "Me and Stephen Hawking", "Journal For Plague Lovers", "She Bathed Herself in a Bath of Bleach", "Virginia State Epileptic Colony", "1985", "Empty Souls", "Leviathan" "Mr. Carbohydrate" "Dead Trees and Traffic Islands"
B♭4: "Mausoleum", "Yourself", "Still a Long Way to Go", "Roses in the Hospital", "Condemned to Rock n' Roll", "You Love Us", "P.C.P", "4 Ever Delayed", "Tsunami", "The Intense Humming of Evil", "Be Natural", "Automatik Teknicolour"

Significant Low Notes:
E3: "Revol", "Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart", "No Surface All Feeling", "You Stole the Sun From My Heart", "My Little Empire", "Misguided Missile"
E♭3: "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head"
D3: "Small Black Flowers That Grow in the Sky","Velocity Girl", "Your Love Alone Is Not Enough", "Autumnsong" "Spectators of Suicide", "Futurology", "Walk Me to the Bridge", "The Next Jet to Leave Moscow", "The View From Stow Hill"
C♯3: "The Love of Richard Nixon", "1985", "Donkeys"
C3: "Imperial Bodybags", "Can't Take My Eyes Off You"
B2: "Winterlovers", "The Intense Humming of Evil" "(I Miss) The Tokyo Skyline" "Running Out of Fantasy"
A2: "The Love of Richard Nixon", "The Next Jet to Leave Moscow", "Walk Me to the Bridge"
G2: "This Sullen Welsh Heart"
F♯2: "Rewind the Film (Demo Version)"

*Purple marks notes found in backing harmony or general backing vocal.
*Blue marks notes that may have been sung by other band members/backing vocalists.
*Italics mark probable falsetto notes.

Last edited by Your_Latest_Trick on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 am; edited 82 times in total

Your_Latest_Trick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: James Dean Bradfield

Post  Starman on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:20 am

Your_Latest_Trick wrote:This guy has screamed too many powerful B4's to count, they can't even be considered high notes by his standard

You can try at least? I mean I think a B4 for any male is a significant note regardless (Michael Jackson/Jeff Buckley/Tim Buckley/Adam Levine all start on B♭4 for example). Starting a male vocal profile on C5 is rarely a good idea except (and even now I regret not putting in at least 2 4th octave notes for him) in the case of somebody like Stevie Wonder. Even somebody like Justin Hawkins who sits on C5 has a B4 section to just reflect another facet of his range.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:01 am

Starman wrote:
Your_Latest_Trick wrote:This guy has screamed too many powerful B4's to count, they can't even be considered high notes by his standard

You can try at least? I mean I think a B4 for any male is a significant note regardless (Michael Jackson/Jeff Buckley/Tim Buckley/Adam Levine all start on B♭4 for example)

Even Robert Plant starts on B♭4.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:08 am

^^Exactly! Really any male singer thread that has SHN starting from the fifth octave is more then likely in need of an update (I include some of my own threads in that statement.) Starting from C5 or above is just madness really.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:14 am

That's putting it a bit strongly, but yeah, some B4s would be cool.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spydr on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:51 am

Guess "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" would be notable since it's about their most famous song.

Spydr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Celice wrote:That's putting it a bit strongly, but yeah, some B4s would be cool.

Apologies. Reading it back that was a little frivolous of me to say. But yes, some B4s please Very Happy
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Very nice B♭4's and C5's in the chorus of this one.

A couple of backing harmony F♯3's at 1:23 and 1:35.

B4's in the chorus.

Multiple C5's starting at 1:10.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Your_Latest_Trick on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Starman wrote:

You can try at least? I mean I think a B4 for any male is a significant note regardless (Michael Jackson/Jeff Buckley/Tim Buckley/Adam Levine all start on B♭4 for example). Starting a male vocal profile on C5 is rarely a good idea except (and even now I regret not putting in at least 2 4th octave notes for him) in the case of somebody like Stevie Wonder. Even somebody like Justin Hawkins who sits on C5 has a B4 section to just reflect another facet of his range.

Yeah, this is just a start to it, and I was a bit lazy I'll admit. I just added all the B4's I could recall from the first four albums (including pretty much every song from the Holy Bible except one) Will probably throw in a Bb4 section as well when I get the time. The lows section also leaves a lot to ask for, though I'm not sure if this guy has even gone into the 2nd octave at all.

Your_Latest_Trick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theellafan on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:16 am

Your_Latest_Trick wrote:
Starman wrote:

Yeah, this is just a start to it, and I was a bit lazy I'll admit. I just added all the B4's I could recall from the first four albums (including pretty much every song from the Holy Bible except one) Will probably throw in a Bb4 section as well when I get the time. The lows section also leaves a lot to ask for, though I'm not sure if this guy has even gone into the 2nd octave at all.
I don't think it was an issue! Many topics here have excess of information I think. For example I don't think anyone who's not already a fan of a singer wants to listen to 20 songs to hear how he sings a certain pitch. I think it would be really useful if we all started bolding what we consider the best 2 or 3 examples per pitch. ☺

theellafan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dessy Jr on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:47 pm

I think, there's some D♭3, or even C3 in a verse of "The love of Richard Nixon" from "Lifeblood" album. And so, E3 is not his lowest note. Confirm my opinion, or tell me that I'm not right. If you want, of couse. Rolling Eyes

Dessy Jr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Your_Latest_Trick on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:15 am

Dessy Jr wrote:I think, there's some D♭3, or even C3 in a verse of "The love of Richard Nixon" from "Lifeblood" album. And so, E3 is not his lowest note. Confirm my opinion, or tell me that I'm not right. If you want, of couse. Rolling Eyes

Good find. Hell, I don't know how I didn't catch this when I first wrote the post. Hell, if that were the only Manics song I knew and the background vocals weren't there, I might have even guessed he was a baritone. The new lowest note is now actually an A2 from the chorus ("Yeah and your country tooooo").

Your_Latest_Trick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dessy Jr on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:55 pm

There' some great A4, B4 and C♯5 in a verse of "Prologue to history"

Dessy Jr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dessy Jr on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:40 am

Strong A2 and C#3 in "Some kind of nothingness".

Dessy Jr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Private Perineum on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:08 am

'Everything Must Go' features some of his most powerful vocal performances: great belting and Mercury-like vocal tone moments.
Private Perineum

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Post  Your_Latest_Trick on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:16 am

Dessy Jr wrote:Strong A2 and C#3 in "Some kind of nothingness".

What point in the song are you talking about? I believe all the lows in that song were actually sung by Ian McCulloch from Echo & The Bunnymen, which would make a lot more sense, there's a pretty huge contrast between their voices.

Your_Latest_Trick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dessy Jr on Sat May 02, 2015 9:23 am

Where does he hit F5 in "Condemned to rock n roll" and E5 in "The Girl Who Wanted to Be a God" 7
Dessy Jr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Your_Latest_Trick on Sun May 03, 2015 8:17 am

Dessy Jr wrote:Where does he hit F5 in "Condemned to rock n roll" and E5 in "The Girl Who Wanted to Be a God" 7

The scream at 2:40 "Abandonment's all WE KNOW" is a slightly sharp F5, from how I hear it.

The E5 is in the backing harmony during the chorus if you listen hard enough, right on the word "Girl" (I'm assuming it was him who sung them... it sounds like it at least).

Your_Latest_Trick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top