Chrissie Hynde

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chrissie Hynde

Post  Starman on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Voice Type: Contralto
Vocal Range: C3-C♯5 (so far)

Significant High Notes:

• C♯5 (''Brass In Pocket'', ''Tattooed Love Boys'')
  • C5 (''Precious'')
  • B4 (''Brass In Pocket'', ''Precious'', ''Private Life'', ''Up The Neck'', ''The Wait'')
  • B♭4 (''Kid'')
  • A4 (''Angel Of The Morning'', ''Brass In Pocket'', ''The Phone Call'', ''Precious'', ''Stop Your Sobbing'', ''Tattooed Love Boys'')

Significant Low Notes:

• F♯3 (''Brass In Pocket'')
  • F3 (''Stop Your Sobbing'', ''Tattooed Love Boys'')
  • E3 (''Angel Of The Morning'', ''Private Life'', ''Up The Neck'', The Wait'')
  • D3 (''The Phone Call'')
  • C3 (''Precious'')

*Purple marks notes found in backing harmony or general backing vocal.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Lead singer of a great band called ''The Pretenders''. A really great, deep voice suited to the sort of punk style and power chord driven sound the band are known for. Also a fantastic song writer in her own right.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chrissie Hynde

Post  The Great Heroins on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:36 pm

G4 at 2:42, but I guess you aren't counting those.

The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:42 pm

The Great Heroins wrote:G4 at 2:42, but I guess you aren't counting those.  

He may not be, but there are light and great A4s after that at 2:52 and 3:05. Also, 2:42 sounds like a G♯4 to me.
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks bro, my voice is currently out so I couldn't sing along to the pitches to confirm the notes like I usually would so G4 was all I got.  Smile

edit: if you hear G#4 it's probably that. My pitching is not reliable right now as my head voice is completely out so I have no way to match the tone. I just have to go by ear. Sad
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 pm

The Great Heroins wrote:Thanks bro, my voice is currently out so I couldn't sing along to the pitches to confirm the notes like I usually would so G4 was all I got.  Smile

edit: if you hear G#4 it's probably that.  My pitching is not reliable right now as my head voice is completely out so I have no way to match the tone.  I just have to go by ear. Sad
No problem. I may help out with this thread, too, since I'm just getting into The Pretenders myself! Chrissie has a fantastic voice.
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reverselion on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:42 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEYGyfkULB0 1:35 A4s in the chorus. Sounds like the backing vocals bottom at F♯3 (day-ay-ay-AY), for example at 1:26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B808tB5vmKM Lots of highs here. 0:54 C5? Very high and unexpected wailing at 1:38 that sounds like 6th octave at highest. She does a similar thing again at 2:41, only sounding a bit different and lower in pitch. A5 maybe? One last time at 3:54 but I'm not even bothering to try and pitch that stuff Very Happy Almost sounds like whistle register or something, idk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkL9SwhuDQQ 0:29 E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaWODKaOoLM 9:40 A4. There is probably tons of other noteworthy stuff on that album for those who want to carefully go through the whole album. I'm feeling lazy right now but perhaps later.

I, too, love Chrissie's voice <3 <3 I haven't really listened to other Pretenders albums than the first and the second, but maybe I should.

reverselion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:36 am

Hey man! NICE Avatar! Very Happy I'll be adding more soon, I'm just SWAMPED with exams and studying at the moment.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:14 pm

Cool thread idea; I used to listen to The Pretenders quite a bit back in like 2006, and even got to see them live at one point in 2007. Haven't kept up with them as much since then, so I don't really have much to offer in the ways of notes... however, I do remember some soft E5s at 0:14 in "Middle of the Road":
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:47 am

Wanderlust wrote:Cool thread idea; I used to listen to The Pretenders quite a bit back in like 2006, and even got to see them live at one point in 2007. Haven't kept up with them as much since then, so I don't really have much to offer in the ways of notes... however, I do remember some soft E5s at 0:14 in "Middle of the Road":

Hey man! Cheers, are you sure those notes are Hynde? She's apparently notorious for only singing the lead vocals while here band sing the backing vocals?
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:47 pm

Dunno, but it doesn't exactly sound like a male voice to me...
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:51 am

Wanderlust wrote:Dunno, but it doesn't exactly sound like a male voice to me...

It does sound like a male voice, but *shrugs*. It really doesn't sound like Chrissie.

Anyways, there are A4s throughout this song. Fantastic B♭4s starting at 1:34 and a quick C5 at 1:45.

The original is by Ray Davies and Sia did an amazing version as well.
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:05 am

To be frank, I don't care what it's listed as on the thread. But purely for the sake of interesting speculation, do you think Chrissie Hynde is a true example of a contralto voice? I know her voice is low but wouldn't she just be an alto? I don't know too much about female voice types so if someone with more experience would care to share their opinion on her vocal placement I'd like to hear it.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:16 am

If she's not a contralto then Karen Carpenter isn't either. Eh
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:21 am

Molandfreak wrote:If she's not a contralto then Karen Carpenter isn't either. Eh

That's not really the kinda response I was hoping for but alright. Surprised Let me rephrase my question: let's talk about the defining characteristics that define a contralto voice in relation to Chrissie Hynde.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:35 am

The Great Heroins wrote:
Molandfreak wrote:If she's not a contralto then Karen Carpenter isn't either. Eh
That's not really the kinda response I was hoping for but alright. Surprised  Let me rephrase my question: let's talk about the defining characteristics that define a contralto voice in relation to Chrissie Hynde.  
Well, Alto isn't really a voice type, but if I'm not mistaken, the forum differentiates "altos" and "contraltos" by more of a vocal style. For example, Adele is just listed as an alto because she doesn't really have that warm of a tone. On the other hand, singers like Chrissie Hynde, Karen Carpenter, and Annie Lennox are listed as contraltos because of the warmth and darkness in their tone.
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top