Josh Ramsay

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Josh Ramsay

Post  aesthetics on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:45 am

Voice Type: Masterpiece Tenor
Total Recorded Vocal Range: A2-B♭5

Lead Singer of Marianas Trench

Significant High Notes:

• B♭5  ("Burning Up", "Masterpiece Theatre III")
  • A5  ("One Love")
  • G♯5  ("Burning Up")
  • G5  ("Astoria", "One Love", "This Means War")
  • F♯5  ("Burning Up", "Masterpiece Theatre I", "Masterpiece Theatre III","Shake Tramp",  "Yesterday")
  • F5  ("Astoria", "Burning Up", "One Love", "This Means War", "End Of an Era")
  • E5  ("End Of an Era", "Fallout", "Highway To Hell" live cover, "Masterpiece Theater III", "One Love", "Stutter", "This Means War", "Yesterday")
  • E♭5  ("Astoria", "Burning Up", "Masterpiece Theatre I", "Sing Sing", "Stutter", "Yesterday")
  • D5  ("Astoria", "Cross My Heart" Live Band with Jamie Lamm, "Dearly Departed", "Decided To Break It", "End Of an Era", "Good To You", "Highway To Hell" live cover, "Haven't Had Enough", "Lover Dearest", "Masterpiece Theater III", "One Love", "Perfect", "Pop 101", "Sing Sing", "This Means War", "While We’re Young", "Who Do You Love", "Wildfire")
  • C♯5  ("Burning Up", "Dearly Departed", "Masterpiece Theatre II", "Masterpiece Theatre III", "Shake Tramp", "Shut Up and Kiss Me", "While We’re Young", "Will You Be There" live Michael Jackson cover, "Yesterday")
  • C5  ("All To Myself", "Astoria", "Beside You", "End Of an Era", "Forget Me Not", "Masterpiece Theatre II", "One Love", "Say Anything", "This Means War", "Wildfire")
  • B4  ("Burning Up", "Dearly Departed", "End Of an Era", "Fallout", "Good To You", "Masterpiece Theatre I", "Masterpiece Theatre II", "Perfect",  "Shut Up and Kiss Me", "While We’re Young", "Who Do You Love", "Wildfire", "Yesterday")
  • B♭4  ("Astoria", "Forget Me Not", "Masterpiece Theater III", "One Love")
  • A4  ("All To Myself", "Astoria", "Beside You", "Cross My Heart", "Dearly Departed", "End Of an Era", "Good To You", "Haven't Had Enough", "Masterpiece Theatre II", "Pop 101", "Shake Tramp", "Shut Up and Kiss Me", "While We’re Young", "Who Do You Love", "Wildfire")

Significant Low Notes:

• G3  ("Astoria", "Dearly Departed", "While We’re Young", "Wildfire")
  • F♯3  ("Dearly Departed", "While We’re Young")
  • F3  ("Wildfire")
  • E3  ("Say Anything", "While We’re Young")
  • D3  ("Beside You", "Cross My Heart")
  • C♯3  ("Will You Be There" live Michael Jackson cover)  
  • B2  ("Masterpiece Theatre III", "Stutter")
  • B♭2  ("Shake Tramp")
  • A2  ("Masterpiece Theatre III")

*Purple marks notes that are in the backing vocals/buried in the mix.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes..

Well known Canadian singer and Much Music personality... has a hell of a voice, bright tenor with an apparent mid-2000's emo/hardcore sound to it, but don't let that be considered a detriment to his voice as he's very versatile and his band can produce sometimes great, and sometimes very clever music. A shame that he probably will be most known in the States for helping to write "Call Me Maybe".(possibly the only time he'll get to attend the Grammy's is for this)

Just some insane stuff in this. Has a lot going on: beautiful falsetto, 5th octave belts, operatic multi-tracked lows and highs, Grohl-esque harsh screams...  Great songs.

Last edited by aesthetics on Sat May 28, 2016 6:28 pm; edited 7 times in total
aesthetics

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Josh Ramsay

Post  angiefc00 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm constantly impressed by this singer. He can be a bit inconsistent but when you look at the notes he's hitting, a few mistakes don't seem so bad. I had the pleasure of seeing Marianas Trench live 2 years ago and they were awesome. Great energy and great vocals. I'm very excited to hear their new album.

angiefc00

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:30 pm

The new album Astoria is incredible to listen to so I decided to note watch it. The lower harmonies were hard because they all have multiple layers but I know Ian sings most of the ones around C3 and under. It was hard finding anything particularly low that was clearly sung by Josh but I gave it my best try. I've probably missed heaps but its a start

Bb5: “Burning Up”
A5: “One Love”
G#5: “Burning Up”
G5: “Astoria”, “One Love”, “This Means War”
F#5: “Burning Up”, “Yesterday”
F5: “Astoria”, “Burning Up”, “One Love”, “This Means War”, “End Of an Era”
E5: “Yesterday”, “One Love”, “This Means War”, “End Of an Era”
D#5: “Astoria”, “Burning Up”, “Yesterday”
D5: “Astoria”, “One Love”, “This Means War”, “Dearly Departed”, “Who Do You Love”, “Wildfire”, “While We’re Young”, “End Of an Era”
C#5: “Burning Up”, “Yesterday”, “Dearly Departed”, “Shut Up and Kiss Me”, “While We’re Young”
C5: “Astoria”, “One Love”, “This Means War”, “Wildfire”, “Forget Me Not”, “End Of an Era”
B4: “Burning Up”, “Yesterday”, “Dearly Departed”, “Shut Up and Kiss Me”, “Who Do You Love”, “Wildfire”, “While We’re Young”, “End Of an Era”
Bb4: “Astoria”, “One Love”, “Forget Me Not”
A4: “Astoria”, “One Love”, “Dearly Departed”, “Shut Up and Kiss Me”, “Who Do You Love”, “Wildfire”, “While We’re Young”, “End Of an Era”

G3: “Astoria”, “Dearly Departed”, “Wildfire”, “While We’re Young”
F#3: “Dearly Departed”, “While We’re Young”
F3: “Wildfire”
E3: “While We’re Young”

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrChongHead on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:21 pm

3:28 and 3:34 - not bad.

MrChongHead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:16 pm

E5 in "Stutter".

And you been singin'.
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:05 am

tf141soldier wrote:E5 in "Stutter".

And you been singin'.

Good find, this thread probably needs updating, it's missing heaps from that whole album and previous ones too

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:37 pm

B♭4s and killer fucking C♯5s from "Ever After" - it starts very falsetto-heavy / mixed-voice heavy and then transitions into some powerful shit around 1:30, and then at 2:00 it starts getting awesome.

tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:24 pm

tf141soldier wrote:B♭4s and killer fucking C♯5s from "Ever After" - it starts very falsetto-heavy / mixed-voice heavy and then transitions into some powerful shit around 1:30, and then at 2:00 it starts getting awesome.

Awesome song from an incredible album, and my lord they ares some killer notes.

P.S. I've had a check and I don't think the A5 is there in One Love, whoops, I screwed up Banghead

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Some Nice F2s here to go with heaps of fifth octave stuff scattered throughout the song
https://youtu.be/mOVwzxCYakw?t=4m21s

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top