(Please read before making a thread) Range Thread 101

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: (Please read before making a thread) Range Thread 101

Post  Prometheus on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:18 am

Starman and I couldn't decide whether it should be in the Range Stuff section. I'm just asking for mods and admins to specify the criteria
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:30 am

Prometheus wrote:Starman and I couldn't decide whether it should be in the Range Stuff section. I'm just asking for mods and admins to specify the criteria

I think it's a niche thread because he's an actor predominantly, but i'd just like to get some clarification myself.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:23 am

Generally, we never had an official amount of notes to be listed for a thread to go to Range Stuff. We used to run off of the 'ready for review' section and various mods would come around and move the threads that were good enough. Because of this, we still don't have an official requirement; but I can come up with something right now.

Generally, I will move a thread that fulfills these expectations:

• While different mods have different standards for amount of research, I am usually okay with the amount of research as long as it doesn't fill the page when I make the window half-size on my monitor. Here's an example that I'm leaving full-size to show users how I see this.
    example:
    As you can see, I would have to scroll to see the whole thread with this view; which is what I would hope for. This guy only has two studio length albums out and I reached this length with dedicated listening and some discovery of older EPs. Of course, you can fill the thread with pitches and only have one or two notes per pitch, and I prefer users fill those up a couple rows. Of course, we're not talking Paul McCartney's C5 section or anything, but getting to that point is nice if your singer has that much to listen to.
  • I generally ignore threads when the formatting doesn't match my preferences. I prefer "" these quotes over the slanted Google Drive quotes, and I want the quotes and commas to be correct. This isn't that hard to do, so have that stuff fixed before you have someone else look at it.
  • Make sure your picture is the right size. It kinda pisses me off when people post life-size photos on threads and don't spoiler them. Some other genius comes along and quotes the entire post. Basically, spoiler photos when suggesting them and resize if needed.
  • Point out your color key and make sure it's one the rest of us use. We prefer not to see the old system and I'm sure some mods will ignore your thread if you use that. Still make sure to point out italics if you're not using any colors, because there's no point of making a range thread if you're not going to point out if they're melodic or not.

All of this is covered in this thread, so basically follow the guidelines and you're good. To answer your question, though, I basically covered that in the first point.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Holsety wrote:
Point out your color key and make sure it's one the rest of us use. We prefer not to see the old system and I'm sure some mods will ignore your thread if you use that.

I won't (well, not unless I would otherwise have ignored it anyway). Though the "old system" is no longer popular, it's still optional. I would, however, ask people to avoid using a colour which normally means one thing to mean something completely different, because that's just confusing (like when Walkers changed the usual colours for crisp flavours around, which I realise might mean nothing to readers in other parts of the world).
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Holsety wrote:Generally, we never had an official amount of notes to be listed for a thread to go to Range Stuff. We used to run off of the 'ready for review' section and various mods would come around and move the threads that were good enough. Because of this, we still don't have an official requirement; but I can come up with something right now.

Generally, I will move a thread that fulfills these expectations:

• While different mods have different standards for amount of research, I am usually okay with the amount of research as long as it doesn't fill the page when I make the window half-size on my monitor. Here's an example that I'm leaving full-size to show users how I see this.
    example:
    As you can see, I would have to scroll to see the whole thread with this view; which is what I would hope for. This guy only has two studio length albums out and I reached this length with dedicated listening and some discovery of older EPs. Of course, you can fill the thread with pitches and only have one or two notes per pitch, and I prefer users fill those up a couple rows. Of course, we're not talking Paul McCartney's C5 section or anything, but getting to that point is nice if your singer has that much to listen to.
  • I generally ignore threads when the formatting doesn't match my preferences. I prefer "" these quotes over the slanted Google Drive quotes, and I want the quotes and commas to be correct. This isn't that hard to do, so have that stuff fixed before you have someone else look at it.
  • Make sure your picture is the right size. It kinda pisses me off when people post life-size photos on threads and don't spoiler them. Some other genius comes along and quotes the entire post. Basically, spoiler photos when suggesting them and resize if needed.
  • Point out your color key and make sure it's one the rest of us use. We prefer not to see the old system and I'm sure some mods will ignore your thread if you use that. Still make sure to point out italics if you're not using any colors, because there's no point of making a range thread if you're not going to point out if they're melodic or not.

All of this is covered in this thread, so basically follow the guidelines and you're good. To answer your question, though, I basically covered that in the first point.
I think this is all fair, besides the amount of notes required. Not all singer's threads will cover that much space, unless you add insignificant notes like C4s for a tenor. It seems a bit unfair to expect all singers to have the same amount of songs per note. Sometimes a singer only hits a note a few times, and sometimes he/she hits it in every song; it just depends on the singer. Then sometimes a singer will only have a small amount of material before quitting, or they're fairly new, and haven't released much material. DIV has released 2 albums and a ton of singles, yet I don't have nearly the amount of notes that you do on the example thread, on my Chisa thread. That's not because I didn't note-watch hard enough, rather didn't want to oversaturate the thread with insignificant notes. If a singer sings down to C3. B2, and A2 in the same song, it's probably better to only add the lowest note (maybe making an exception if it reaches a C3 and then down to an F2, to add both notes, or if there's a portamento down to C2 and a sung A2).
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex61 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:58 am

Hi - I've made ten threads now, all of which are complete, but I have a question - do "squeaks" count? Obviously, they wouldn't count as melodic notes, but would they at least be italicised in the thread, or does it count on how strong/long they are? I've got an example below on one of my threads, Newsom being someone who uses a lot of squeaks in her music.

Squeaks on "Cosmia":

0:57 - C♯7?
3:29 - E♭6

Alex61

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:41 am

I think both of those are way too brief to count in a decent thread. Several threads on this forum have no standard for this sort of thing, but we're thinking about putting notes like these in a spoiler under the OP for users that want the notes acknowledged. Of course, you don't need the spoiler if you've made it past the rangewanking phase. We prefer solid, consistent singing in the thread itself.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kokope on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:34 am

The first note is a much better note than the E flat. I would count that.
And for the record, as note watchers (idk if that's the right way to call it) we all have different opinions on which note should be counted as part of the range and which shouldn't. It depends on many things such as if the note take part of the melody, if it's showcasing the vocal abilities of a singer etc. Singing is a complex term I would say.
kokope

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:53 am

Notes that short in duration have no place in a thread. I understand you all have your own opinions regarding what you 'think' is solid range, but we need standards to apply to all the threads so one thread doesn't ruin the credibility of all the others. Some of us try making nice looking threads covering the most solid range available to the singer, and we'd much rather the rest of the threads follow one set of guidelines, at least for a blog post format for the next site. This stuff is research, and if we could, you know, apply rules to it so it is respectable, and that makes a lot more sense than it being an opinion. And don't worry, shit notes like these can still go in your spoiler under the post. For all I know, when I see that on your thread, the rest of the notes may as well be just as bad.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex61 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:19 am

Holsety wrote:Notes that short in duration have no place in a thread. I understand you all have your own opinions regarding what you 'think' is solid range, but we need standards to apply to all the threads so one thread doesn't ruin the credibility of all the others. Some of us try making nice looking threads covering the most solid range available to the singer, and we'd much rather the rest of the threads follow one set of guidelines, at least for a blog post format for the next site. This stuff is research, and if we could, you know, apply rules to it so it is respectable, and that makes a lot more sense than it being an opinion. And don't worry, shit notes like these can still go in your spoiler under the post. For all I know, when I see that on your thread, the rest of the notes may as well be just as bad.

I agree. I've seen several people say the notes like this do count whilst others share your opinion. Non-melodic notes, I think, should be counted (see the Björk thread) but only if they're strong or at least last enough time to be counted. Inadvertent squeaks like this shouldn't be counted, though. They'd make you wonder whether the rest of the notes in the thread are credible.

I wouldn't exactly say that these notes were "shit", though Wink
Alex61

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:40 am

Perhaps not, but they're still not comparable to the rest of the thread, and that's why I label them that way.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex61 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:13 am

0:57 - slides like this count? I doubt it, just want to check if they're in italicised notes or the same category as squeaks.
Alex61

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Misukiy Lambertson on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:33 am

alexmcnamee61 wrote:0:57 - slides like this count? I doubt it, just want to check if they're in italicised notes or the same category as squeaks.
Spoiler:

I've seen some on counted as melodic on other threads, I guess you're fine.
Misukiy Lambertson

Location : Somewhere jerking myself off with my massive vocal range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:36 am

Albino Slug: check the rules on guidelines for quoting, or you know, my post from earlier today.

Concerning the slide, no, not unless it has a place in the melody.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top