(Please read before making a thread) Range Thread 101

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: (Please read before making a thread) Range Thread 101

Post  BioHazard634 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:25 am

Contralto is a voice type, Alto is a choral part.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:26 am

This forum's always used Contralto, Alto, Mezzo-Soprano and Soprano as the main voice types for females, and that's the only reason I put those there.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:26 am

BioHazard634 wrote:Contralto is a voice type, Alto is a choral part.
Speechless
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:29 am

Holsety wrote:This forum's always used Contralto, Alto, Mezzo-Soprano and Soprano as the main voice types for females, and that's the only reason I put those there.
The only problem is that Alto has no meaning or clear definition outside of TRP (as a voice type). Essentially, it means high contralto, if I'm not mistaken.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:36 am

Well, it's hard to discern a clear definition of any voice type considering everyone's voice is different; two people may have very different voices yet both be tenors. These days the voice types aren't really for informing, but instead a bit of humor considering the new adjective trend.

An average joe joining TRP probably wouldn't know what to make of 'Throat Tenor' or something like that, but someone who's listened to Nirvana and knows a bit about the voice could probably realize it's one way to describe Kurt Cobain's voice. After all, the voice types should never have meant to save you the trouble of listening to the music yourself, because it's not like they're universal truths or anything.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:41 am

True, I guess using the term "Alto" is just one of my pet peeves. With something like "Baritenor", it's there in the title that it's some sort of "mix" between baritone and tenor, but with "Alto" it's just removing the "Contr", which is obscure. But yeah, I do enjoy the unique, humorous voice types of recent. Smile
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:50 am

BioHazard634 wrote:Contralto is a voice type, Alto is a choral part.

Yes, a choral part usually sung by both actual contraltos and mezzo-sopranos (in very rare cases, tenors).

Back to top Go down

Post  Antler on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:54 am

BioHazard634 wrote:True, I guess using the term "Alto" is just one of my pet peeves. With something like "Baritenor", it's there in the title that it's some sort of "mix" between baritone and tenor, but with "Alto" it's just removing the "Contr", which is obscure. But yeah, I do enjoy the unique, humorous voice types of recent. Smile

Right - it doesn't make much sense. "Alto" means "high", it was originally used to describe male voices; "contralto" means "opposing the high voice", following that etymology. "Baritenor" at least has some basis in actual modern voice classification. "Alto" is meaningless. An alto can be a soprano, mezzo soprano, or a contralto. That's why I have serious objections to it being used as a voice type on any forum.
Antler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:48 am

Antler wrote:Why is "Alto" listed as an acceptable voice type for females when it's not actually a voice type at all?

But users are given free reign to write anything in voice type section and it's acceptable Confused
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:08 am

Starman wrote:
Antler wrote:Why is "Alto" listed as an acceptable voice type for females when it's not actually a voice type at all?

But users are given free reign to write anything in voice type section and it's acceptable Confused  
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:30 am

Well within reason, I mean in reference to the alternative voice types most people seem to be using.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:29 am

Some users appear to be copying the "purple or underlines mark backing vocals." do they actually have a plan to use both or should we specify that it should be either/or?
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  Lupa on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:57 pm

So, to sum up, is it ok just to write "live" in front of a song when a singer hits that note in several live concerts? What about if the singer only sang that song once? It's pretty easy to find if someone wants to look it up. I'll have to change some things in some of my threads

Example:

This was the only time Marcela Bovio sang this song. If I want to add this to my thread, which of this examples would be better?

D6 ("Stargazer" live)
D6 ("Stargazer" live)
D6 ("Stargazer" live at Metal Female Voices Fest XI 2013)
I was thinking about either being very specific when labelling, even if it was sung only once or using a link with the timestamp, so it wouldn't really be necessary to write when and where the song was sung. I did it to her thread when adding the low notes that she only hit in a warm up video, is it ok?
Lupa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:44 am

I'm not colorblind, but I'm just wondering if the purple system denoting backing vocals has a noticeable difference to those who are. I think that the old standard colors like blue, red, orange, and even electric fuchsia are different enough, but purple just seems like it would be way too dark for colorblind users to differentiate.
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  wonka on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:51 am

Molandfreak wrote:Some users appear to be copying the "purple or underlines mark backing vocals." do they actually have a plan to use both or should we specify that it should be either/or?
I have used it when they are singing in falsetto in the background vocals, in this case I use blue color underlined

wonka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:09 am

ask heroins, he's colorblind iirc
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:12 pm

Lupa wrote:So, to sum up, is it ok just to write "live" in front of a song when a singer hits that note in several live concerts? What about if the singer only sang that song once? It's pretty easy to find if someone wants to look it up. I'll have to change some things in some of my threads

Example:

This was the only time Marcela Bovio sang this song. If I want to add this to my thread, which of this examples would be better?

D6 ("Stargazer" live)
D6 ("Stargazer" live)
I was thinking about either being very specific when labelling, even if it was sung only once or using a link with the timestamp, so it wouldn't really be necessary to write when and where the song was sung. I did it to her thread when adding the low notes that she only hit in a warm up video, is it ok?

Incredibly late to this post because I thought I answered this in my post already. I say be as specific as possible. If it occurs in several/all performances, list/link the best one. It doesn't really matter if you link it or give the specific live instance, but it's usually safe to link it in case someone asks for it later on in the post.

Molandfreak wrote:I'm not colorblind, but I'm just wondering if the purple system denoting backing vocals has a noticeable difference to those who are. I think that the old standard colors like blue, red, orange, and even electric fuchsia are different enough, but purple just seems like it would be way too dark for colorblind users to differentiate.

Well, that's probably why people like Heroins would use underlines if he made a thread; although, I'm pretty sure he's made threads with purple before. I know he can't distinguish the Default and Range Advisor colors too well.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prometheus on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Well I'm colorblind as well (green-red), I can distinguish well enough but purple is not as visible as the old system colors. Underlines is better I think
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:35 pm

I prefer underlines myself.
Molandfreak wrote:Are watermarked images outlawed? Because they should be. Banghead
I'd go with discouraged.
Molandfreak wrote:Also, can we finally create a standard where the real name of singers must be included if retrievable? (their stage name alone isn't good enough)
I've put Vitas' real name on his thread now even though I don't expect anyone to search for that. If a singer is known by more than one name it's certainly a good idea to include both (though just to clarify, we don't always need full names, e.g. if someone wants to make a Dido thread, "Dido Armstrong" will do fine: "Dido Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong" is unnecessary). Btw if a stage name and real name would be placed differently in an alphabetical list (e.g. Alecia Moore/ Pink/ P!nk) should we just use the better known one for the index or what?
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Breaking on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:53 am

Why can't i open a new topic ?
When i click "send" reminds me on my preview page.
Breaking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Prometheus on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:01 am

Can I ask what are the criteria for Range Stuff? For instance, is this thread up to to standarts? It's a pretty much complete thread, his discography is made of 1 album
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:05 am

Prometheus wrote:Can I ask what are the criteria for Range Stuff? For instance, is this thread up to to standarts? It's a pretty much complete thread, his discography is made of 1 album

Pretty much have enough notes and not look sloppy. I'd SUGGEST having hyperlinks to any live notes included, but that's up to you. I'd say that looks pretty complete for now if you have done his ENTIRE recorded discography. I'd suggest looking up some other live performances or random singing outbursts (some people make "OMG X SINGSSSSSS~" videos on youtube for their favorite actor) but if you can't find any that's all good.
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Prometheus on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:10 am

cryszofthescots wrote:
Prometheus wrote:Can I ask what are the criteria for Range Stuff? For instance, is this thread up to to standarts? It's a pretty much complete thread, his discography is made of 1 album

Pretty much have enough notes and not look sloppy. I'd SUGGEST having hyperlinks to any live notes included, but that's up to you. I'd say that looks pretty complete for now if you have done his ENTIRE recorded discography. I'd suggest looking up some other live performances or random singing outbursts (some people make "OMG X SINGSSSSSS~" videos on youtube for their favorite actor) but if you can't find any that's all good.
I've gone through his ENTIRE discography and all the "ÖMĞ RDJ SİNGSSŞŞ" videos I could find. This thread was in Range Stuff before but since it's a small thread and no criteria has been specified for Range Stuff, Starman moved it to WIP section.
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:14 am

Take this up with the skype chat
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down