(Please read before making a thread) Range Thread 101

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(Please read before making a thread) Range Thread 101

Post  Holsety on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:42 pm

So you've decided to make a thread? First, consult Threadless Singers or the unfinished Singer Index threads for ideas for threads. Do not make threads asking to find them. Before you make any new threads, make sure you meet the guidelines.

Please read this before making a thread! 

A Photo of The Singer
I prefer finding images of singers in their prime, singing or otherwise pursuing what they love. I recommend looking in last.fm image galleries. I've found some excellent pictures with that strategy. I highly recommend resizing the photo if it's too big, especially for people with slow internet. You can do this when you insert the image (the second choice in the fifth group of formatting tools above), or after it's inserted. If you can't find an image, don't let it keep you from posting. Someone else can and probably will find one for you in that situation.

Holsety wrote:[ img(550px,450px)] link [/ img]

Of course with new dimensions, without spaces and the link to the image instead of 'link'. It isn't too much trouble to ask someone to resize it for you, either

Extra Information
This is a good area to include extra information on the vocalist, like associated acts and a description of their voice. The James LaBrie thread linked below shows an example of that.

Voice Types
Because of the controversy these have caused in the past, don't feel like you have to include a voice type in your thread at all. By default, use one of the terms below without a prefix. You'll find some threads in Range Stuff use joke prefixes like 'Cigarette Bass', and that's fine. The low/mid/standard/high are often thrown around, but please avoid them like trans-fats.

Male
Bass
Baritone
Baritenor
Tenor

Female
Contralto
Alto
Mezzo-Soprano
Soprano

Research
Every thread requires prior research to be considered a thread, or it will be quickly ruined. If you intend to make a respectable thread, organize how you will look through your singer's discography. While some singers have rather small discographies, it depends on the user as to whether or not they feel their thread is good enough for Range Stuff.

Live
Live performances are a large part of the range threads, but labeling them correctly is very important. Here's an example.
video:
From the title of this video alone, we already know it's at the Pitchfork Festival in 2011. Considering the many live versions of this song, we want to be specific in labelling it.

A4 ("Grown Ocean" live Pitchfork 2011)

Sometimes a video won't be so specific. In that situation, just hyperlink it. If it doesn't even give the name of the song, just give the name of the video.

Code:
A4 ("[url=http://youtu.be/bI8rX8AAKyw?t=2m12s]Grown Ocean[/url]" live)

Formatting/Standards

• Please use ♯ and ♭ next to your notes, NOT # and b. There is a difference, and we notice it. If you're wondering where these symbols are on the forum:

• Most threads list notes this way to avoid confusion: A, B♭, B, C, C♯, D, E♭, E, F, F♯, G, G♯. Feel free to list both as exemplified in the Freddie Mercury thread (link below).
  • Specify your coloring system in your OP if you use one. If you don't, we will assume you're not using any (which is perfectly fine).
  • Put the songs in alphabetical order! It's easier to read and also not that hard to fix with a finished thread; just find an online alphabetizer and it will organize the text in quotes. Just make sure you know which performances were live so you can replace those labels as well.

There are several ways of coloring threads, but they're usually separated into two formats. The orange/blue/red/black group was mostly used in 2012 and 2013, with some members still favoring this system because it revolves around modality. I have come to dislike this system, and you'll see in my posts why, but it's still allowed.

old format wrote:.............................................
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

The purple/underlines that sometimes has extra colors came into play about a year ago, in this thread. You should be able to read more about it there, but this system focuses more on more objective aspects of music, like whether a note is in the front or the back of the mix, or timbre (harsh/distorted). It sometimes distinguishes falsetto notes, but only when it's perfectly clear. Females do not warrant it.

examples of newer formats wrote:...................................................
*Purple or Underlines mark notes in backing vocals or otherwise obscured.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.
*Blue marks falsetto notes
*Green marks harsh distorted notes.

Post a Template in WIP
Shoot for at least five high notes and low notes, but don't worry too much about that until you're closer to finishing it. While some singer's use one part of their range much more, these are still good numbers to start off a thread with. Post your thread in the 'Works in Progress' section once you have some kind of template. You can leave it there and finish it on your own time, and we move threads that are requested to be moved in this thread when they're up to standard.

Examples
You're probably wondering if there are any examples you can look at. I'll link some of the best possible threads to consult for this sort of thing, by several different users to get an idea how different people make threads.

Phil Anselmo
Bruce Dickinson
Peter Gabriel
PJ Harvey
James LaBrie
John West
Paul McCartney
Freddie Mercury
Peter Steele

Miscellaneous

• It's good to limit how many notes you include from one song. I did this for the Robert Plant thread, for example, sticking to four or five notes at the most per song.
  • Threads started by an unclickable user named 'Guest' are from accounts that have been deleted. You can request these threads in the here, but try to make a thread, contribute to existing threads and make yourself known, first.
  • I repeat: Consult Threadless Singers or the unfinished Singer Index threads for ideas for threads. Do not make threads asking to find them.
  • Feel free to provide links for further listening in a spoiler under your thread.
  • Do not discuss the old format in threads with the new format.

Last edited by Holsety on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 9 times in total
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Re: (Please read before making a thread) Range Thread 101

Post  MrToddington on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Removed derailing posts/arguments.
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  INFINITE POTATO on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:22 am

Are you aloud to request to restart a thread that's yours? I would like to restart my Jonny Hawkins thread as the comment section is just arguing between me and Wanderlust, and LOTS of wrong pitches.
INFINITE POTATO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 am

Ace of Spades wrote:Are you aloud to request to restart a thread that's yours? I would like to restart my Jonny Hawkins thread as the comment section is just arguing between me and Wanderlust, and LOTS of wrong pitches.

You're allowed to restart threads you've previously had, probably best to ask anyway, but should be no problem. I give you permission now anyway.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm sorry, I've been kinda absent from the happenings of this forum as of recent, what with school and work, so I'm not entirely sure what's been going on with the thread set-up...
But why in the name of all that is holy did we bring back the fucking blue means falsetto format? That is a dreadful idea.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Only for obvious cases. I do it for guys like James Taylor or Robin Pecknold who only really use chest and a soft falsetto register. Never for someone like Robert Plant or Paul McCartney. I don't mess with head or mix shit.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Marking falsetto is something that really fucked up TRP 1. If it's a significant note, why should it matter if it's in falsetto or not? Colour-coding for pitches should not be done.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:10 pm

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:But why in the name of all that is holy did we bring back the fucking blue means falsetto format?
A poll showed that the blue was apparently more popular than we realised, and I think most of the TRP1 controversies stemmed from trying to differentiate in cases where it wasn't obvious. I don't think using a colour for "soft, clear falsetto" or whatever is necessarily a problem.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:11 pm

I think blue serves a purpose as long as it's completely dedicated to blatantly light and airy (falsetto) notes. You may ask what purpose does it serve then? Well, call this pointless but I have always liked to go on threads of my favorite singers and look up notes listed that I did not immediately recall from the song. Sometimes I'd be interested to hear a big "money note" and when blue is completely out of the equation I might see a D5 listed expecting something monstrous and emotional (!) and upon looking it up it turns out to be a soft falsetto woo or something. Maybe that is silly reasoning but in accordance to the way I've always utilized range threads it works out.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:26 pm

No Heroins, you are very correct.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:08 am

Good stuff Heroins Thumb up

Sometimes its cool to hear an instance where a singer you like used falsetto, when normally he/she doesn't. E.G Robert Plant. Wink
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:36 am

Please include this. I hate seeing nothing else but "live" after a note.
Spoiler:

Live Performances:
Notes sung in live performances should include the following:
City, venue, or television/radio show where the performance took place,
Date of performance, preferably in either MM/DD/YY format, DD/MM/YY format, or just the year.

It is a good idea to provide a link to the performance, especially if the information above is not retrievable.
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:43 am

Molandfreak wrote:Please include this. I hate seeing nothing else but "live" after a note.
Spoiler:

Live Performances:
Notes sung in live performances should include the following:
City, venue, or television/radio show where the performance took place,
Date of performance, preferably in either MM/DD/YY format, DD/MM/YY format, or just the year.

It is a good idea to provide a link to the performance, especially if the information above is not retrievable.

I'm glad someone brought this up. Does anyone know how to post a link to the live note without putting the URL? I do agree that there should be some guideline to how you should include live notes.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:51 am

If you click the link icon (just to the left of YouTube one) when typing a post, you'll get a little box with "url" where you enter the URL you want to link, and "description", for the text you want to use, e.g. (click the quote button if you want to see the formatting)
F5 ("Someone Saved My Life Tonight" live at Wembley 1975)
Molandfreak wrote:Date of performance, preferably in either MM/DD/YY format, DD/MM/YY format, or just the year.
With exact dates, I think it's best to use the word for the month, otherwise conflicting date formats could cause confusion.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 am

Celice wrote:If you click the link icon (just to the left of YouTube one) when typing a post, you'll get a little box with "url" where you enter the URL you want to link, and "description", for the text you want to use, e.g. (click the quote button if you want to see the formatting)
F5 ("Someone Saved My Life Tonight" live at Wembley 1975)
Molandfreak wrote:Date of performance, preferably in either MM/DD/YY format, DD/MM/YY format, or just the year.
With exact dates, I think it's best to use the word for the month, otherwise conflicting date formats could cause confusion.

Thanks Celice, I'll go and try it right now.

Edit: ok it works! "Hush", live 2014
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:18 am

I'll add a paragraph in the research section for live performances.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:41 am

Nice work. A lot better then what I wrote. Smile
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:08 pm

I will say when and where a live performance is from, but if say, there's a note that has appeared in numerous, if not all live performances of a particular song, then I just use "live" as a general term, especially if the note is strong all or most of the times.
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:57 am

Are watermarked images outlawed? Because they should be. Banghead
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Also, can we finally create a standard where the real name of singers must be included if retrievable? (their stage name alone isn't good enough)
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post  RobML on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:39 am

New user here, could I just ask what black notes are?

RobML

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:43 am

It depends on which thread you're in, but I'd recommend ignoring any talk from older threads regarding "black" notes. It used to essentially work as our replacement word for "full" when describing notes, but now basically means a note lacking any qualities that colors in the thread might dictate. For example, a thread might have blue stand for "soft falsetto notes" and green stand for "harsh distorted notes". If a note is left in the standard text color (AKA "black") then it is neither of those things for example.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Antler on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:13 am

Why is "Alto" listed as an acceptable voice type for females when it's not actually a voice type at all?
Antler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:01 am

Antler wrote:Why is "Alto" listed as an acceptable voice type for females when it's not actually a voice type at all?
Thank you.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:10 am

It isn't? Somebody's going to have to explain that shit.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top