Thread of Leonard Cohen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thread of Leonard Cohen

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Ok I post clips here. What you think of the key in this Baby Blue Cover? Is it the right one for my voice?

http://picosong.com/ftAx/

Or should I go lower like this?

http://picosong.com/ftNr/

I prefer singing in the higher key, but maybe it sounds worse. Don't know. Maybe I'm still a fucking rangewanker, I do want to sing high, I like how effeminate my voice sounds in the upper fourth octave so I try to get up there without losing quality.
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thread of Leonard Cohen

Post  dxfifa on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:15 pm

You have nice control over your high notes, but the tone is not good compared to the lower, breathier notes (which I love the sound of). I think it's too 'belty' for you to get the best sound out of your voice. It'd probably sound better with accompaniment or in a mix for a record though. I believe that if you can, you should drop the key even further than the lowest one there so that the lower singing you did there is right in the middle of the range of that song. This is because you have a very pleasant tone there and you'll probably have better control and be able to add more flair to it
dxfifa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:17 am

I can't go that low without resorting to whispery barely audible lows Sad I might be able to lower it like one semitone but after that the lows are gonna weaken drastically.

Man it's not actually very hard for me to do those high notes, so it sucks that I can't get the tone right. I could do the high notes in a much softer way, less belting more soft falsetto. Think I will try that and see if it works better. Wanted to belt the song because Dylan does and I like the way he sings it but I'm not Dylan after all.

Part of the reason I'm posting this is because I'm trying to decide how I should sing my own songs Razz

Recorded it with an iphone btw, I think it's better at picking up the lower notes than the higher ones since they are a lot louder, though that sounds like a shity fucking excuse now that I've written it lol
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aníbal on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:37 am

You sound a lot like the Killer's singer really but you don't sound femenine btw. nice highs man!
Aníbal

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/anibal-m-sica

Back to top Go down

Post  dxfifa on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:20 pm

Leonard_Cohen wrote:I can't go that low without resorting to whispery barely audible lows Sad I might be able to lower it like one semitone but after that the lows are gonna weaken drastically.

Man it's not actually very hard for me to do those high notes, so it sucks that I can't get the tone right. I could do the high notes in a much softer way, less belting more soft falsetto. Think I will try that and see if it works better. Wanted to belt the song because Dylan does and I like the way he sings it but I'm not Dylan after all.

Part of the reason I'm posting this is because I'm trying to decide how I should sing my own songs Razz

Recorded it with an iphone btw, I think it's better at picking up the lower notes than the higher ones since they are a lot louder, though that sounds like a shity fucking excuse now that I've written it lol

Dude I have the same problems with highs (I'm a bass/bass-bari) and I can belt out all the 4th octave with control but they, similar to yours, are too belty to work all the time. then there's Anibal who is lucky as hell to be a lighter tenor Yeah!
dxfifa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:34 pm

It works fine when I'm not singing melodic lines and need to pull of lyrics at the same time.

But I think I'm a tenor, I mean I don't have any baritone lows Razz

here I tried raising the key instead http://picosong.com/ftMz/

I really want to have a feminine sound on the highs, like Tim Buckley in pleasant street
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:38 pm

that actually sounds much better
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:04 pm

I think it was cause it was later in the day and my voice was warmed up, I had been singing in the shower and shit

I still had remnants of morning voice on the other two lol

thanks man!
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dxfifa on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:10 pm

It's better, I agree. But also the highs are still too screechy, you've got a very nice vibrato in your high mids though. Good job
dxfifa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top