Van Morrison

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Van Morrison

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:56 am

Voice Type: Celtic Lyric Baritone
Vocal Range: E2-C5

Significant High Notes:

C5 ("Cyprus Avenue", "Brand New Day", "Madame George", "Gypsy Queen", "Oh Didn't He Ramble")
B4 ("And It Stoned Me", "Linden Arden Stole The Highlights", "Virgo Clowns", "The Days Before Rock and Roll", "Beside You", "Madame George", "Ballerina", "Caravan","Domino", "Crazy Face", "Give Me A Kiss", "I've Been Working", "Call Me Up In Dreamland", "I'll Be Your Lover, Too", "Blue Money", "Gypsy Queen", "If I Ever Needed Someone")
B♭4 ("Cyprus Avenue", "Brand New Day")
A4 ("Moondance", "Domino",  "The Way Young Lovers Do", "Everyone", "It's Too Late to Stop Now", "Astral Weeks", "Beside You", "Ballerina", "Slim Slow Slider", "Glad Tidings",  "He Ain't Give You None", "Caravan", "Come Running", "Crazy Face", "Give Me A Kiss", "I've Been Working", "Call Me Up In Dreamland", "I'll Be Your Lover, Too", "Blue Money", "Gypsy Queen", "If I Ever Needed Someone")
G♯4 ("Sweet Thing", "Brand New Day", "Virgo Clowns", "Street Choir")
G4 ("These Dreams of You", "Days Like These", "Brown Eyed Girl", "Everyone", "The Way Young Lovers Do", "Into The Mystic", "Slim Slow Slider", "Glad Tidings", "Gloria", "Rough God Goes Riding", "Caravan", "Crazy Face", "I've Been Working", "I'll Be Your Lover, Too", "Sweet Jannie", "If I Ever Needed Someone")
F♯4 ("Astral Weeks", "Sweet Thing", "Come Running", "Crazy Love", "Domino", "Call Me Up In Dreamland", "Blue Money", "Virgo Clowns")

Significant Low Notes:

C♯3 ("Sweet Jannie")
B2 ("Street Choir")
B♭2 ("Days Like These")
E2 ("The Days Before Rock and Roll")

*Italics mark non-sung notes.

- Thread originally by Jamborinski

Thread contributers:
Thread contributer(s) are just JonnyWinter91, Starman and whoever the hell the Guest profile used to be.  Laughing

Last edited by wabba_treads on Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 9 times in total
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Van Morrison

Post  Starman on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:58 am

You can put his Lows up to a D3/E♭3 (just a suggestion) if you wish, I can't imagine a voice like his that stays so consistently in the high register will have many examples where he dips down tbh. Also, it's nice to see an active member taking over the Van Morrison thread, i'm a big fan of the ''Astral Weeks'' album Very Happy
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 am

Starman wrote:You can put his Lows up to a D3/E♭3 (just a suggestion) if you wish, I can't imagine a voice like his that stays so consistently in the high register will have many examples where he dips down tbh. Also, it's nice to see an active member taking over the Van Morrison thread, i'm a big fan of the ''Astral Weeks'' album Very Happy

Yeah, he seems to have a warm lower register (that doesn't seem to get much use, but then again I only heard some of his songs so far). I wonder why someone with an awesome lower register like David Coverdale doesn't take advantage of those lower notes.

Hopefully there'll be some more lows Pray Thanks for the compliment man. Tiphat

You have saved tons of threads yourself! Thumb up I'm sick of seeing all these "guest threads" so I'm trying to do something about it. My first stop on notewatching will have to be "Moondance" but I'm definitely checking "Astral Weeks" out since you mentioned it first.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:19 am

wabba_treads wrote:You have saved tons of threads yourself! Thumb up I'm sick of seeing all these "guest threads" so I'm trying to do something about it. My first stop on notewatching will have to be "Moondance" but I'm definitely checking "Astral Weeks" out since you mentioned it first.

Sounds awesome man! Oh absolutely! congrats on getting the thread too! Van Morrison is some amazing singer! Very Happy

I think Jeff Buckley is the last thread I'll be taking (for a while at least). I have just under 80 threads in my account, I should really start refining them and making them top notch Very Happy I also have a lot of college work to get through, so I haven't really had much time unfortunately Sad
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

As I said before, I checked Astral Weeks a while ago and added my findings; unless you're looking for lower-third octave.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:11 am

Holsety wrote:As I said before, I checked Astral Weeks a while ago and added my findings; unless you're looking for lower-third octave.

Ok thats cool. I'm on the hunt for lower octave notes from him so I'll probably give it a listen anyways. Thanks for checking the album for me!
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:17 am

A personal favourite song (my Dad used to play this constantly when I was a child) and some very tasteful soul singing and harmony here! Possibly my favourite Van Morrison song (there are too many to choose from though!!)

A quick B♭2 at 0.15 ''there'll be'' and G4s galore from 1.58 onwards

Edit-Also listening to ''And It Stoned Me'' for the first time in a while, wow! that song still has the power to bring me to tears. Very nice D3s in that too!
also, I was the guest threads in the previous thread xD
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:56 am

Here's His Band And The Street Choir.

C5 ("Gypsy Queen")
B4 ("Virgo Clowns")
A4 ("Domino", "Crazy Face", "Give Me A Kiss", "I've Been Working", "Call Me Up In Dreamland", "I'll Be Your Lover, Too", "Blue Money", "Gypsy Queen", "If I Ever Needed Someone")
G♯4 ("Virgo Clowns", "Street Choir")
G4 ("Crazy Face", "I've Been Working", "I'll Be Your Lover, Too", "Sweet Jannie", "If I Ever Needed Someone")
F♯4 ("Domino", "Call Me Up In Dreamland", "Blue Money", "virgo Clowns")

E3 ("I'll Be Your Lover, Too", "Virgo Clowns", "Sweet Jannie", "Street Choir")
C♯3 ("Sweet Jannie")
B2 ("Street Choir")

There's stuff in the backing vocal in "Blue Money", not sure who it is, though. I'm counting up to E3s in terms of lows, if only because he didn't really go low too much. I avoided counting the really short dips.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:01 am

I'm gonna check out some stuff by Them as well, and edit it into this post.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:07 am

I;m really liking these new custom made voice types. Some really nice descriptions of the singer's voice. This one is awesome too!
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CommonOne on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Strained C5 at 5:12

CommonOne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Drake on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:15 am

Now, can we raise his lows to E♭3/E3?
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:06 pm

Anybody mind me fixing this one up a bit? I feel like listening some old Van records anyway Smile
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Starman wrote:Anybody mind me fixing this one up a bit? I feel like listening some old Van records anyway Smile

Sure go right ahead. Tiphat

I'm surprised you didn't scoop Van's thread up before me, I really gotta get up on my notewatching for this. I still have lots of notes to add for Gregg Allman too.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Nick Drake wrote:Now, can we raise his lows to E♭3/E3?

I'll think about it. He's a classic example of a baritone that barely uses their lower register so I'll definetly consider it. I'm having the same issue with Gregg Allman Banghead
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top