New covers (headphones please)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New covers (headphones please)

Post  Maverick31 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:56 pm

I don't want to hear shit about how I choose to record them, just vocal stuff. I know some of you hate how I record covers, and I'm sorry, but that's how I like to do it. It's very easy to hear with headphones, because that's how I have it mixed.
New microphone too (On Everybody's Talkin, The Spy, and Through Glass).

Everybody's Talkin - http://picosong.com/9xLf

The Spy- http://picosong.com/9xLV

Through Glass- http://picosong.com/9xLb

Don't Even Trip- http://picosong.com/9xLH

Mojo- http://picosong.com/9x26

Thanks to all who listen, and appreciate any thoughts.
Maverick31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New covers (headphones please)

Post  Lurex on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:16 am

it's impossible to judge it vocally, because you cannot distinguish your vocal from the main vocal, and it mushes together into incoherent noise.

the reason we give you shit about the idiotic way you record isn't a stylistic thing, it's because it ruins the whole fucking point of a cover cause we can't actually fucking hear your voice.. there's nothing to critique here.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:25 am

It's not hard to find instrumental tracks.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:34 am

Do they even count as covers? Or as dodgy duets instead?
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick31 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Larry \"The Great" Lurex wrote:it's impossible to judge it vocally, because you cannot distinguish your vocal from the main vocal, and it mushes together into incoherent noise.

the reason we give you shit about the idiotic way you record isn't a stylistic thing, it's because it ruins the whole fucking point of a cover cause we can't actually fucking hear your voice.. there's nothing to critique here.

This 'idiotic' way, works for me. I can clearly separate the vocals, easily. I don't know what your issue is. It also works for countless other people I share with.
Maverick31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Maverick31 wrote:
Larry \"The Great" Lurex wrote:it's impossible to judge it vocally, because you cannot distinguish your vocal from the main vocal, and it mushes together into incoherent noise.

This 'idiotic' way, works for me. I can clearly separate the vocals, easily. I don't know what your issue is. It also works for countless other people I share with.
If you're using Audacity and recording with say a standard headset mic, I don't see how the panning of the vocals would even occur. You'd have to go out of your way to pan it to the right, and if you're doing that on purpose I fail to see why. Makes it seem like you're trying to hide your vocals because the sound quality is and has always been too fuzzy and distant to reach a proper verdict on.

Although from what I can tell from listening to Through Glass you're singing a little too hesitantly and pitchy, a generally cool tone you have though again from what I can make out.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick31 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:41 am

Whackooyzero wrote:
Maverick31 wrote:

If you're using Audacity and recording with say a standard headset mic, I don't see how the panning of the vocals would even occur. You'd have to go out of your way to pan it to the right, and if you're doing that on purpose I fail to see why. Makes it seem like you're trying to hide your vocals because the sound quality is and has always been too fuzzy and distant to reach a proper verdict on.

Although from what I can tell from listening to Through Glass you're singing a little too hesitantly and pitchy, a generally cool tone you have though again from what I can make out.

I'm using Sonar LE for recording, with an Audio-Technica AT2020USB. I pan to the right, because it focuses my voice in one year, making it easier to distinguish my voice from the original. It works just fine for me. Most of my covers are done straight through, one take... which could explain some hesitation and pitch errors. When you have to memorize each part of a song, especially one that you're not familiar with, these things happen. Thank you for listening. Smile
Maverick31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:04 am

well i'm glad it works for you. i hope you can review your own covers just fine.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:07 am

Why would you cover a song which you're not familiar with? Rolling Eyes I understand that you might have listened to it once or twice and decided that you liked it, but the best way to do covers is to do ones which you're familiar with...Quite nice tone though
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick31 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:43 pm

OllieCray wrote:Why would you cover a song which you're not familiar with?  Rolling Eyes  I understand that you might have listened to it once or twice and decided that you liked it, but the best way to do covers is to do ones which you're familiar with...Quite nice tone though

Thanks, mate. I sing things impulsively sometimes. I'm trying to mix things up a bit, considering I normally just do Patton songs.
Maverick31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick31 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Larry \"The Great" Lurex wrote:well i'm glad it works for you.  i hope you can review your own covers just fine.

Don't worry, my fellow Michigander, I have others who review it for me. And yes, I do review my own material.
Maverick31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Maverick31 wrote:
Whackooyzero wrote:
Maverick31 wrote:

I'm using Sonar LE for recording, with an Audio-Technica AT2020USB. I pan to the right, because it focuses my voice in one year, making it easier to distinguish my voice from the original. It works just fine for me. Most of my covers are done straight through, one take... which could explain some hesitation and pitch errors. When you have to memorize each part of a song, especially one that you're not familiar with, these things happen. Thank you for listening. Smile
I understand what you're trying to achieve in doing so, but if this many people are constantly telling you that they can't pick out your voice over the original, maybe, just maybe it might be worth considering that you actually are mixing your covers in an unideal way for people's listening purposes.

Perhaps a more effective tactic would be to pan the original track to the right, so that that people can hear the musical context of what you're singing over, but it won't get buried beneath the original vocals that way?
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top