View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marvin Gaye

Post  Starman on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:52 am

Voice Type: Tenor
Vocal Range: G2-E♭6 (so far)

Significant High Notes:

• E♭6 (''Never Let You Go'')
  • D6 (''Never Let You Go'')
  • G♯5 (''Inner City Blues'' (live Midnight Special 1974), ''Got To Give It Up'' (live Montreux 1980), ''How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You'' (live Montreux 1980), ''Since I Had You'' (live Amsterdam 1976))
  • G5 (''What's Going On'')
  • F♯5 (''The End Of Our Road'', ''I Wish It Would Rain'')
  • F5 (''Cloud Nine'', ''Every Now And Then'', ''Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got'', ''I'm Yours You're Mine'', ''Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)'', ''What's Happening Brother'', ''You'')
  • E5 (''The End Of Our Road'', ''Memories'', ''More Than A Heart Can Stand'')
  • E♭5 (''Ain't No Mountain High Enough'', ''At Last I Found A Love'', ''Cloud Nine'', ''I Got To Get To California'', ''I Heard It Through The Grapevine'', ''It Don't Take Much To Keep Me'', ''It Hurt Me Too'', ''Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide'', ''Never Let You Go'', ''No Time For Tears'', ''Only A Lonely Man Would Know'', ''Pride And Joy'', ''That's The Way Love Is'', ''Try My True Love'')
  • D5 (''Chained'', ''Don't You Miss Me A Little Bit Baby'', ''Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)'', ''Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got'', ''Gonna Keep On Tryin' Till I Win Your Love'', ''Got To Get My Hands On Some Lovin''', ''Groovin''', ''Memories'', ''Night Life'', ''No Time For Tears'', ''One More Heartache'', ''Tear It Down'', ''What's Going On'', ''What's Happening Brother'', ''Yesterday'', ''You'', ''You're What's Happening In The World Today'')
  • C♯5 (''Chained'', ''Change What You Can'', ''I Got To Get To California'', ''So Long'', ''Too Busy Thinking About My Baby'')
  • C5 (''Abraham, Martin & John'', ''At Last (I Found A Love)'', ''Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)'', ''God Is Love'', ''Hello There Angel'', ''How Can I Forget'', ''I Heard It Through The Grapevine'', ''I'll Be Around'', ''Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide'', ''Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever'', 'Memories'', ''No Time For Tears'', ''One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)'', ''Some Kind Of Wonderful'', ''Stepping Closer To Your Heart'', ''Taking My Time'', ''Tear It On Down'', ''Walk On The Wild Side'', ''Yesterday'')
  • B4 (''Ain't That Peculiar'', ''Hello There Angel'', ''Only A Lonely Man Would Know'', ''What's Going On'', ''You're The One For Me'')
  • B♭4 (''Always'', ''Baby Don't You Do It'', ''Change What You Can'', ''Don't You Miss Me a Little Bit'', ''God Is Love'', ''Got To Get My Hands On Some Lovin''', ''If My Heart Could Sing'', ''It's A Bitter Pill To Swallow'', ''It Don't Take Much To Keep Me'', ''It Hurt Me Too'', ''I Wonder'', ''Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide'', ''Love For Sale'', ''More Than A Heart Can Stand'', ''Need Your Lovin' (Want You Back)'', ''Need Somebody'', ''Never Let You Go'', ''One Of These Days'', ''Pride And Joy'', ''Straighten Up And Fly Right'', ''Stubborn Kind Of Fellow'', ''Take This Heart Of Mine'', ''Taking My Time'',  ''Tear It On Down'', ''That's The Way Love Is'', ''There Goes My Baby'', ''Too Busy Thinking About My Baby'', ''Try My True Love'', ''You're A Wonderful One'')

Significant Low Notes:

• C♯3 (''If My Heart Could Sing'', ''I Was Telling Her About You'', ''Love For Sale'', ''Night Life'', ''Ramblin' Rose'', ''This Is The Life'', ''You Don't Know What Love Is'')
  • C3 (''How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky)'', ''(I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over'', ''Let You Conscience Be Your Guide'', ''Nature Boy'', ''People'', ''Some Kind Of Wonderful'', ''Too Young'', ''To The Ends Of The Earth'', ''When I'm Alone I Cry'', ''Witchcraft'', ''You've Changed'')
  • B2 (''Calypso Blues'', ''On The Street Where You Live'', ''Save The Children'')
  • B♭2 (''Always'', ''Hello There Angel'', ''I Worry 'bout You'', ''Love For Sale'', ''Mona Lisa'', ''My Funny Valentine'', 'Nature Boy'', ''Pride And Joy'', ''To the Ends Of The Earth'', ''Witchcraft'')
  • A2 (''If My Heart Could Sing'', ''I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face'', ''Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)'', ''This Is The Life'')
  • G♯2 (''Love For Sale'', ''To the Ends Of The Earth'')
  • G2 (''My Funny Valentine'', ''Straighten Up And Fly Right'')

*Purple marks notes found in backing harmony or general backing vocal.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

I'm still making my way through his dense discography, hopefully will have a finished thread soon.

Last edited by Starman on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:30 pm; edited 5 times in total
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvin Gaye

Post  Knope2016 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:05 am

Full A4s and falsetto Eb5s in Let's Get It On.

Knope2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:09 am

Knope2016 wrote:Full A4s and falsetto Eb5s in Let's Get It On.

Doing his discography album by album chronologically. I'm taking a break and am half way through ''What's Going On''.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDeathBat on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:53 am

When was this last uptated?
TheDeathBat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:24 am

Mon Dec 29, 2014
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greasy Bassman on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:16 am

At 0:13 in his music video for "Sexual Healing" if I'm correct it sounds like a Bb1! Smile

Greasy Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:52 am

It could be, but I think that's the note which caused considerable controversy on a previous incarnation of this thread, where the general consensus was that it was insignificant and/or unpitchable... sorry Sad
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top