Billie Joe Armstrong

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Billie Joe Armstrong

Post  Rockin' D on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:41 am

And also, I agree with Prometheus that the purple section should be removed. Pretty much every song has Mike singing backup and Billie lead.
Rockin' D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrChongHead on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:29 am

Both done.

MrChongHead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tangerine78 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:40 am

I'm a high baritone and still unable to handle his songs since American idiot, he just stays too long in the F4/F#4 range which is a pain for baritones and even for some low tenors, that explains why he sometimes struggles, but he's mostly confortable on that range, otherwise he wouldn't be able to tour since 97% of his songs are around the F4.

I'm more towards to the avarage tenor theory, he sure sounds much better and fluid nowdays but honestly I can't hear any particular technique or solid mix, he mostly pushes his chest voice, and apparantly he can push till A4, after that he uses a gritty mix or raspy head voice.

In his early days he indeed struggled and sounded more ignorant and lower, but he still could hit a G#4 just pushing, without wearing out too much, So low tenor seems legit to me.

The first Slappy hours EP doesn't count, he sang pretty high there but he was much younger and nobody knows how much it was edited.

Tangerine78

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JaredLetoIsBack on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:39 am

Tangerine78 wrote:
I'm a high baritone and still unable to handle his songs since American idiot, he just stays too long in the F4/F#4 range which is a pain for baritones and even for some low tenors, that explains why he sometimes struggles, but he's mostly confortable on that range, otherwise he wouldn't be able to tour since 97% of his songs are around the F4.
Sorry but you can't base an argument on your own voice. You can be a baritone and still have a wide tessitura.

Not to mention that most people already agreed that he's a tenor, and the voice type has been removed from the OP. So I don't see the need to drag this up again. For what it's worth I agree about tenor.

JaredLetoIsBack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tangerine78 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:03 pm

JaredLetoIsBack wrote:
Tangerine78 wrote:
Sorry but you can't base an argument on your own voice. You can be a baritone and still have a wide tessitura.

Not to mention that most people already agreed that he's a tenor, and the voice type has been removed from the OP. So I don't see the need to drag this up again. For what it's worth I agree about tenor.

I wasn't talking to you mate, I was answering the guys who didn't agree that he's a tenor, (pie152 and Prometheus mostly)  plus I can even be a poor baritone myself, but classic baritone tessitura is that one and very well documented, it tops around Eb4 (Eb3 European notation) there are exceptions yes, but that's not the case of BJA.

it's called 2.0 but sadly the arrogance from 1.0 is still here I can see Confused

Tangerine78

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:01 pm

It's not the range that really decides someone's voice type, but rather the tone of the voice. It may be easy to call a whole community 'arrogant', but maybe it's because we're tired of people thinking they're a tenor because they have a 'full voice C5'. That's not how it works.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Tangerine78 wrote:
JaredLetoIsBack wrote:
Tangerine78 wrote:

I wasn't talking to you mate, I was answering the guys who didn't agree that he's a tenor, (pie152 and Prometheus mostly)  plus I can even be a poor baritone myself, but classic baritone tessitura is that one and very well documented, it tops around Eb4 (Eb3 European notation) there are exceptions yes, but that's not the case of BJA.

it's called 2.0 but sadly the arrogance from 1.0 is still here I can see Confused
3 posts in, and you're already attempting to top the legendary imdevine Rolling Eyes please, take your time with this, because i've been dying for a new lolcow
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tangerine78 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Holsety wrote:It's not the range that really decides someone's voice type, but rather the tone of the voice. It may be easy to call a whole community 'arrogant', but maybe it's because we're tired of people thinking they're a tenor because they have a 'full voice C5'. That's not how it works.

Totally wrong! voice type is about range and tessituras that a singer can handle with ease, tone can be easily altered with mics, preamps, EQ, FX, studio recordings, and that's the case of modern singing.

@Dumi, I don't know who this legendary imdevine is, all I know is that I wrote my first post without attacking anyone, my post is an on topic comment about the singer that is covered here, and my thoughts about it were more than legit, if you guys get offended by reading someone else's thought simply cause you think otherwise let me tell you that you've got a hell of a problem, this is a forum isn't it? a forum exists to exchange thoughts and experiences, and to analyze things all together in case there are doubts or deceiving points, if you don't accept this maybe you better lock all the threads and just write all the good and the shites you want without being bothered by newcomers...

Tangerine78

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack-OF-Blades on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Tangerine78 wrote:
Holsety wrote:It's not the range that really decides someone's voice type, but rather the tone of the voice. It may be easy to call a whole community 'arrogant', but maybe it's because we're tired of people thinking they're a tenor because they have a 'full voice C5'. That's not how it works.

Totally wrong! voice type is about range and tessituras that a singer can handle with ease, tone can be easily altered with mics, preamps, EQ, FX, studio recordings, and that's the case of modern singing.

@Dumi, I don't know who this legendary imdevine is, all I know is that I wrote my first post without attacking anyone, my post is an on topic comment about the singer that is covered here, and my thoughts about it were more than legit, if you guys get offended by reading someone else's thought simply cause you think otherwise let me tell you that you've got a hell of a problem, this is a forum isn't it? a forum exists to exchange thoughts and experiences, and to analyze things all together in case there are doubts or deceiving points, if you don't accept this maybe you better lock all the threads and just write all the good and the shites you want without being bothered by newcomers...

Voice type isn't about range directly. A trained Baritone can have a way wider range in the high notes than an untrained tenor, and he'll still be a baritone ( because his natural tone will sound deeper and have more weight than a tenor for example). I agree that the " natural" range (when we start singing) of our singing voice is an indicator, but after training the range doesn't say much at some point . And we are talking about the natural tone of the voice here, so yes, the natural tone of the voice gives a lot of information on a voice type( just listen to the natural chest voice of Axl Roses....). A tessitura alone can't be enough to justify a voice type : Someone can have a low tessitura and still be a tenor just because he has a very bad singing technique for example.
Jack-OF-Blades

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfmzt22EmvsXEyyManBVqAg

Back to top Go down

Post  Tangerine78 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:00 pm

Jack-OF-Blades wrote:
Tangerine78 wrote:

Voice type isn't about range directly. A trained Baritone can have a way wider range in the high notes than an untrained tenor, and he'll still be a baritone ( because his natural tone will sound deeper and have more weight than a tenor for example). I agree that the " natural" range (when we start singing) of our singing voice is an indicator, but after training the range doesn't say much at some point . And we are talking about the natural tone of the voice here, so yes, the natural tone of the voice gives a lot of information on a voice type( just listen to the natural chest voice of Axl Roses....). A tessitura alone can't be enough to justify a voice type : Someone can have a low tessitura and still be a tenor just because he has a very bad singing technique for example.

Since we were talking about Billie Joe Armstrong I pointed out that it doesn't sound to me that he's a trained singer, he definitely got better in time, but still uses an untrained way of singing like many in rock music in general, and that's an indicator as you said also, considering the tessituras he stays on for 97% of the times that pretty much indicates that he's confortable in the tenor range without using academical techniques, period. A trained baritone can do better than an untrained tenor rangewise, but with different results, if you're experienced and you have a well trained ear you can tell if a baritone is using techniques such as mixed voice or similar very early, while a tenor can still push higher in full chest voice, resulting cooler in rock or punk music (matter of tastes anyway).
You really picked up the worst example of baritones, Axl Rose, un untrained low baritone who sings high simple because he has a powerful natural screetchy head voice which sounds cool in his genre, nothing you can obtain by studying vocal technique, any legit vocal trainer wouldn't admit that sort of singing, furthermore, he's the typical baritone who uses 2 types of voice, a very low one, and a very high one, but I tell you that he has a hard time to stay for long on the passaggio (around E or F4) he sounds terrible there and he's clearly not confortable, he definitely doesn't have a uniformed voice from low to high, and that pretty much confirms he's an untrained baritone.

How confortable you're around E4 and F4 speaks volume about your voice type, especially if you're untrained (like most rock singers out there).

Nice Kitty by the way Wink

Tangerine78

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 pm

Sorry to say (and not to come off as condescending or pretentious), but we as a community have our own preferred methods of determining voice type that work better for us. Range is not the best indicator of your placement, though mentioning how comfortable someone is at a certain part of the voice is a step up from that. Voice types are all completely made up terms anyway, so who cares?
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  JaredLetoIsBack on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:39 am

Isn't it ironic that someone comes here to tell us all we're wrong and pretends to be the only one who had the definite answers, and in the same sentence calls us all arrogant. Nice one.

JaredLetoIsBack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Private Perineum on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:03 am

Jack-OF-Blades wrote:
Tangerine78 wrote:

Just to chime in for the smallest time, a better example of a chesty baritone would be Jeff Scott Soto. Adon is a cool example as well, as his voice is naturally so very low but he's stretched his chest voice to his fullest capabilities.
Private Perineum

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Post  Breaking on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:34 am

I think that someone here will be red soon. Laughing
Breaking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Private Perineum on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:53 am

Hope not, allow him to speak his mind, as long as it's not outright disrespectful.
Private Perineum

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockin' D on Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:10 am

Rockin' D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down