Barry Manilow

Post  Virtuoso on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Voice type: Somewhere In Between Baritone and Tenor
Sung Range: G2-B4
Total Range: G2-D6

High Notes:

• D6 ("Bandstand Boogie")
  • B4 ("The Old Songs")
  • B♭4 ("Bandstand Boogie", "Careless Whisper", "The Old Songs")
  • A4 ("Bandstand Boogie")
  • G♯4 ("Careless Whisper", "Daybreak", "Looks Like We Made It", "The Old Songs")
  • G4 ("Bandstand Boogie", "Can't Smile Without You", "Could It Be Magic", "Even Now", "Looks Like We Made It", "Mandy", "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Ships", "Somewhere In the Night", "Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again")
  • F♯4 ("Bandstand Boogie", "Can't Smile Without You", "Careless Whisper", "Daybreak", "Even Now", "I Write the Songs", "Islands In the Stream", "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Ready to Take a Chance Again", "Ships", "The Old Songs", "This One's for You", "Weekend In New England")
  • F4 ("Bandstand Boogie", "Can't Smile Without You", "Careless Whisper", "Could It Be Magic", "Even Now", "It's a Miracle", "I Made It Through the Rain", "Looks Like We Made It", "Mandy", "Ready to Take a Chance Again", "Ships", "Somewhere Down The Road", "Somewhere In the Night", "The Old Songs", "Time After Time", "Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again", "Weekend In New England")
  • E4 ("Against All Odds (Take at Me Now)", "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)", "Can't Smile Without You", "Careless Whisper", "Daybreak", "Even Now", "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", "Have I Told You Lately", "I Made It Through the Rain", "I Write the Songs", "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", "Looks Like We Made It", "Mandy", "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Open Arms", "Ready to Take a Chance Again", "Ships", "Somewhere Down The Road", "Somewhere In the Night", "The Old Songs", "This One's for You", "Time After Time", "When October Goes")
  • E♭4 ("Careless Whisper", "Copacabana (At the Copa)", "Could It Be Magic", "Daybreak", "Even Now", "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", "Islands In the Stream", "It's a Miracle", "I Write the Songs", "Looks Like We Made It", "Mandy", "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Ships", "Somewhere In the Night", "The Old Songs", "Time After Time", "Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again", "Weekend In New England")

Low Notes:

• E3 ("Against All Odds (Take at Me Now)", "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)", "Can't Smile Without You", "Copacabana (At the Copa)", "Could It Be Magic", "Even Now", "Have I Told You Lately", "I Just Called to Say I Love You", "I Write the Songs", "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", "Looks Like We Made It", "Open Arms", "Ready to Take a Chance Again", "Right Here Waiting", "Somewhere Down The Road", "This One's for You", "Weekend In New England", "When October Goes")
  • E♭3 ("Bandstand Boogie", "Careless Whisper", "Daybreak", "Even Now", "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", "It's a Miracle", "I Made It Through the Rain", "Somewhere In the Night", "Time After Time", "Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again")
  • D3 ("Against All Odds (Take at Me Now)", "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)", "Can't Smile Without You", "Copacabana (At the Copa)", "Could It Be Magic", "Have I Told You Lately", "I Just Called to Say I Love You", "I Made It Through the Rain", "Islands In the Stream", "I Write the Songs", "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", "Looks Like We Made It", "Open Arms", "Ready to Take a Chance Again", "Right Here Waiting", "Somewhere Down The Road", "Somewhere In the Night", "The Old Songs", "This One's for You", "Time After Time")
  • C♯3 ("Careless Whisper", "Daybreak", "Even Now", "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", "Ready to Take a Chance Again", "Somewhere In the Night", "When October Goes")
  • C3 ("Bandstand Boogie", "Can't Smile Without You", "Careless Whisper", "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", "I Write the Songs", "Looks Like We Made It", "Somewhere In the Night", "The Old Songs", "Time After Time", "Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again")
  • B2 ("Against All Odds (Take at Me Now)", "Bandstand Boogie", "Can't Smile Without You", "Even Now", "Have I Told You Lately", "I Just Called to Say I Love You", "Open Arms", "When October Goes")
  • B♭2 ("Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)", "Bandstand Boogie", "Careless Whisper", "Somewhere In the Night", "The Old Songs", "Time After Time")
  • A2 ("Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)", "Bandstand Boogie", "I Just Called to Say I Love You", "This One's for You")
  • G♯2 ("When October Goes")
  • G2 ("I Just Called to Say I Love You")

*Underlines marks notes found in backing harmony or general backing vocal.
*blue mark soft falsetto.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

VOCAL DESCRIPTION:
Barry Manilow, born Barry Alan Pincus, has been in the music industry for quite some time, and it's no surprise, as the guy really knows how to write a decent melody. He has recorded a string of Billboard hit singles and multi-platinum albums that have resulted in being named Radio & Records' No. 1 adult contemporary artist. Some of his memorable tunes include "Copacabana", "Mandy", and "Can't Smile Without You". Manilow has been performing in Vegas for a number of years, and for a good reason! This guy is a really charismatic front-man. I had the pleasure of seeing him live a few times (undoubtedly the youngest at his venues).

Known for his bright Tenor, his lower register has a warm, silky pleasant effect, very delicate, but confident nonetheless. Barry seldom uses much volume to deliver his belts. His voice also possesses a slight husky effect to it, augmenting his vocal tone. Barry is not known for falsetto, and he tends to avoid using it (he lets his backup singers do the job). Manilow's voice hasn't changed much, but over the years, it has gotten much darker, due to being a smoker for over 60 years.  

Vocal Strengths: Manilow's voice is a very versatile vocalist. He is capable of fast paced ballads like "Bandstand Boogie", as well as slow paced love songs, showcased in "When October Goes". In addition, his lower register and chest register sound great! He never strains his vocal chords in any of his songs, and tends to sing from D3-F4 most of the time. Likewise, he never sings off pitch live. His vocal runs at the end of most of his songs include sustained 4th octave notes with light vibrato. More importantly, he's in his 70s and is still going strong!

Random YouTuber wrote:Manilow is Manilow, you either love him or hate him.

Albums Checked:

The Greatest Songs of the Eighties
Ultimate Manilow

Last edited by Virtuoso on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:56 am; edited 4 times in total
Virtuoso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Barry Manilow

Post  Kewis on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Nice to see a thread for him. Link to his D6?
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuoso on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:29 am

Kewis wrote:Nice to see a thread for him. Link to his D6?

Here's the link to the discussion. http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t1962p345-threadless-singers

Virtuoso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:00 am

Just saw him live; still sounds terrific.

"One Voice" is probably his best vocal performance; some outstanding highs in that.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Private Perineum on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:08 am

This man still sings?

This man still lives!?
Private Perineum

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizard Imp on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:06 am

He's kept alive by plastic. I'm surprised he can still move his face, let alone sing well.

Wizard Imp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuoso on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:29 am

The Long Shot wrote:Just saw him live; still sounds terrific.

Some people say that he has been miming old concerts because he holds the mic a foot away from his face when singing. I honestly don't know... I think he still sounds great.
Virtuoso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Thu May 12, 2016 4:21 am

Spoiler:

C3 at the beginning.  There's a bass line layered in the backing vocals at 0:50 that goes B2-E2-B♭2-E♭2-A2-D2. G4 at 1:56 and 2:19 (the latter being one of his best notes ever IMO).

Spoiler:

G2 at the beginning of this live rendition of the same song, at 0:38.

Spoiler:

A2 at 1:39. Having seen him in concert, I can attest that he does the song in this key pretty much all the time nowadays.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Private Perineum on Thu May 12, 2016 11:51 pm

Tenor, for sure!
Private Perineum

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuoso on Sat May 21, 2016 4:12 am

The Long Shot wrote:
Spoiler:

C3 at the beginning.  There's a bass line layered in the backing vocals at 0:50 that goes B2-E2-B♭2-E♭2-A2-D2. G4 at 1:56 and 2:19 (the latter being one of his best notes ever IMO).

Excellent find! I'm planning on fixing up this thread during the summer (going through his 70s and 80s studio catalog). Your contributions are always appreciated!

Private Perineum wrote:Tenor, for sure!

His tone in the upper fourth octave suggests this. Probably a lower placed Tenor due to years of smoking. Honestly, he could be anything between a higher placed Baritone and a lower placed Tenor. I'm not sure hence the voice type placement in the OP!
Virtuoso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Sat May 21, 2016 5:59 am

Excellent, if you need any help going through his studio stuff, let me know.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuoso on Sat May 21, 2016 6:30 am

Will Do! I think I'm going to omit the E3 and E♭3 sections in the OP later on.
Virtuoso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top