To Blue or Not to Blue?

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you favor the distinction of falsetto notes?

60% 60% 
[ 35 ]
16% 16% 
[ 9 ]
24% 24% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 58

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Holsety on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:15 pm

We're not trying to shield its existence as a whole by not acknowledging it. We have no way of knowing for sure how people sing, so why should we pretend we know what we're talking about with this, especially with the worthless 'orange' color? This applies heavily to singers that have a very well-blended singing voice. Why should we waste our time discerning that when we could concentrate more on informing users of something more agreeable, like where to find a given note from their range profile in a song? Let the guest/user/whoever have their own opinion of what 'register' it's produced in, because there's no way everyone will agree with what you think of it.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Scooby Doo wrote: Vocal range shouldn't be considered for the distance between the lowest and highest note alone, but for the quality and control the singer has in between. Falsetto is a break because it doesn't lend the same flexability of dynamic and timbre as the full-voice range.
Have you heard Vitas?  Smile  

At the very least it would be good to see certain users opposed to this "system" respect that this distinction is almost universal within "singing circles" instead of insulting other users.
I'm all for respecting other viewpoints, but while you're right that the distinction is widely used elsewhere, such terminology is not always used in the same way (see http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t3086-do-men-really-have-head-voice for example), and as Holsety mentioned, it's not always obvious how a singer is producing a particular sound, so I don't really see the value in trying to analyse every note in every thread and classify it as "modal" or "non-modal"; on the other hand, I'm not opposed to users making distinctions where the difference in sound is clear, in the same sort of way that some may choose to distinguish other styles (e.g. "harsh/ distorted vocals" or whatever).
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Scooby Doo wrote:I think the distinction should definitely be made. I don't think anyone will deny that falsetto doesn't have uses but in my opinion it's misleading to quantify vocal range as a unit if that unit has a break. Vocal range shouldn't be considered for the distance between the lowest and highest note alone, but for the quality and control the singer has in between. Falsetto is a break because it doesn't lend the same flexability of dynamic and timbre as the full-voice range. Retaining that flexability throughout your range is what many singers strive for and why the distinction is stressed in opera, theater, vocal tuition, etc.

At the very least it would be good to see certain users opposed to this "system" respect that this distinction is almost universal within "singing circles" instead of insulting other users.

Dude, you're free to include the blue falsetto notes if you wish on your own threads. No problem at all!

It becomes a problem however, when someone would barge in and derail a thread (not in a nice way either, see MyFairyKing)  that isn't theirs just to say that they don't agree with the register a certain note is in. Well guess what? A really coordinated singer can use so many different sound colors to implement to rather than just "full voice" or "just falsetto". I don't think its this black and white (pun partially intended Laughing )

Seeing all the bickering about what register a note just really irks me. For one thing, unless you are the singer him/herself producing the note, there's no way to tell for sure what register its in unless the singer is making it obvious, whether or not its on purpose. This whole stigma attached to what is and what isn't full voice (when everyone's definition thereof is different) has just got to end. Its just not worth all the aggravation and its led to constant canyon of butthurt TRP 1.0 style, which is why we discourage the old color system nowadays.

Last edited by wabba_treads on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm

wabba_treads wrote:
Scooby Doo wrote:I think the distinction should definitely be made. I don't think anyone will deny that falsetto doesn't have uses but in my opinion it's misleading to quantify vocal range as a unit if that unit has a break. Vocal range shouldn't be considered for the distance between the lowest and highest note alone, but for the quality and control the singer has in between. Falsetto is a break because it doesn't lend the same flexability of dynamic and timbre as the full-voice range. Retaining that flexability throughout your range is what many singers strive for and why the distinction is stressed in opera, theater, vocal tuition, etc.

Dude, you're free to include the blue falsetto notes if you wish on your own threads. No problem at all!

It becomes a problem however, when someone would barge in and derail a thread (not in a nice way either, see MyFairyKing)  that isn't theirs just to say that they don't agree with the register a certain note is in. Well guess what? A really coordinated singer can use so many different sound colors to implement to rather than just "full voice" or "just falsetto". I don't think its this black and white (pun partially intended Laughing )

Seeing all the bickering about what register a note just really irks me. For one thing, unless you are the singer him/herself producing the note, there's no way to tell for sure what register its in unless the singer is making it obvious on purpose. This whole stigma attached to what is and what isn't full voice (when everyone's definition thereof is different) has just got to end. Its just not worth all the aggravation and its led to constant canyon of butthurt TRP 1.0 style, which is why we discourage the old color system nowadays.
Well said. Clap
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Wanderlust wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:

Seeing all the bickering about what register a note just really irks me. For one thing, unless you are the singer him/herself producing the note, there's no way to tell for sure what register its in unless the singer is making it obvious on purpose. This whole stigma attached to what is and what isn't full voice (when everyone's definition thereof is different) has just got to end. Its just not worth all the aggravation and its led to constant canyon of butthurt TRP 1.0 style, which is why we discourage the old color system nowadays.
Well said. Clap

Thanks man! Tiphat

I do like Starman's idea of making some kind of thread that new users could be redirected to, just to make this more clear on why we feel the color system should be avoided, if possible. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK Devil

Ok, but in all seriousness, unless they're absolutely necessary like in King Diamond's case, why, even bother trying to discern registers if the note already sounds good? That's what should be more significant.

Last edited by wabba_treads on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Holsety wrote:We're not trying to shield its existence as a whole by not acknowledging it. We have no way of knowing for sure how people sing, so why should we pretend we know what we're talking about with this, especially with the worthless 'orange' color? This applies heavily to singers that have a very well-blended singing voice. Why should we waste our time discerning that when we could concentrate more on informing users of something more agreeable, like where to find a given note from their range profile in a song? Let the guest/user/whoever have their own opinion of what 'register' it's produced in, because there's no way everyone will agree with what you think of it.
Something I would say is just in the case of somebody wondering what the highest chest or "full" note (vs. falsetto) of a singer is, they could quickly look at a thread with colors and see for themselves. Also, somebody wanting to hear a certain note from a singer, for instance hearing a "full" A4 as opposed to falsetto, would have a tough time using "trial-and-error" to find one, if there even was one. Of course it should still be clear and obvious that it is falsetto, and not questionable. It does depend on the singer though, and the thread owner, but as long as things are done intelligently and civilly, we should be fine.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:53 pm

wabba_treads wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:

Well said. Clap

Thanks man! Tiphat

I do like Starman's idea of making some kind of thread that new users could be redirected to, just to make this more clear on why we feel the color system should be avoided, if possible. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK Devil

Ok, but in all seriousness, unless they're absolutely necessary like in King Diamond's case, why, even bother trying to discern registers if the note already sounds good? That's what should be more significant.
Well maybe it could be in terms of how it sounds good. Both "full" and falsetto notes can sound good, but they can also sound very different. All notes listed are listed as being significant (hence, significant highs/lows), but they can have very different sounds. So marking notes as falsetto isn't taking away from their significance, it's just putting them in a different significant category. I hope that made some amount of sense.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:57 pm

BioHazard634 wrote:
Holsety wrote:We're not trying to shield its existence as a whole by not acknowledging it. We have no way of knowing for sure how people sing, so why should we pretend we know what we're talking about with this, especially with the worthless 'orange' color? This applies heavily to singers that have a very well-blended singing voice. Why should we waste our time discerning that when we could concentrate more on informing users of something more agreeable, like where to find a given note from their range profile in a song? Let the guest/user/whoever have their own opinion of what 'register' it's produced in, because there's no way everyone will agree with what you think of it.
Something I would say is just in the case of somebody wondering what the highest chest or "full" note (vs. falsetto) of a singer is, they could quickly look at a thread with colors and see for themselves. Also, somebody wanting to hear a certain note from a singer, for instance hearing a "full" A4 as opposed to falsetto, would have a tough time using "trial-and-error" to find one, if there even was one. Of course it should still be clear and obvious that it is falsetto, and not questionable. It does depend on the singer though, and the thread owner, but as long as things are done intelligently and civilly, we should be fine.

That's exactly why I consider falsetto a "sound color" and not a register. Much less confusion and conflict that way. It makes total sense because if it was a separate register, why is it that I can produce that same breathy effect lower in my range? Does that make it my E3 less "black" Very Happy
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:59 pm

BioHazard634 wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:

Well said. Clap

Thanks man! Tiphat

Well maybe it could be in terms of how it sounds good. Both "full" and falsetto notes can sound good, but they can also sound very different. All notes listed are listed as being significant (hence, significant highs/lows), but they can have very different sounds. So marking notes as falsetto isn't taking away from their significance, it's just putting them in a different significant category. I hope that made some amount of sense.

I agree! If only certain user's ego's weren't involved with what you personally feel a note should be classified as.  Pff Otherwise, that would be fine and there wouldn't have to be all this petulant butthurt.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  indielight on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:42 pm

BioHazard634 wrote:Well maybe it could be in terms of how it sounds good. Both "full" and falsetto notes can sound good, but they can also sound very different. All notes listed are listed as being significant (hence, significant highs/lows), but they can have very different sounds. So marking notes as falsetto isn't taking away from their significance, it's just putting them in a different significant category. I hope that made some amount of sense.

Totally agree..
Well, i'm kinda new here, but I do consider blue for falsetto is a good idea, i'm just sayin' Smile
indielight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:05 pm

I think a big part of the reason we were so reluctant to abandon registers/colors for a while was because we viewed them as some marker of what the "usable" portion of a singer's range was - i.e. "he can only go so high in his normal 'full voice', and has to resort to falsetto on everything beyond that". But now I think a lot of us have realized that "modality" and "fullness" don't necessarily dictate how usable a note is in a singer's range, just because there are so many different forms of phrasing, delivery, shaping, etc. in songs that can make any given note more or less usable for a specific singer. At the end of the day, there are always inevitably going to be some singers whose "usable range" is hard to judge for us notewatchers, so there's not much we can do to really accurately reflect that. So as long as that's the case, we may as well just jot down the notes we hear and then discuss the different ways that the singers hit them on our own time.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:17 pm

wabba_treads wrote:Dude, you're free to include the blue falsetto notes if you wish on your own threads. No problem at all!

Seeing all the bickering about what register a note just really irks me. For one thing, unless you are the singer him/herself producing the note, there's no way to tell for sure what register its in unless the singer is making it obvious, whether or not its on purpose. This whole stigma attached to what is and what isn't full voice (when everyone's definition thereof is different) has just got to end. Its just not worth all the aggravation and its led to constant canyon of butthurt TRP 1.0 style, which is why we discourage the old color system nowadays.
If we're actually free to use the old color system, why aren't we free to use prefixes as well? I'm personally a fan of further distinguishing voice types and I remember a prefix being deleted from an old thread of mine by a mod.

Also, it's sometimes hard to tell even if you're singing weather it's modal or not. For instance, I can imitate a full E5 that sounds like it could go either way (a la Steve Perry's higher notes) where my throat feels like it's in falsetto, but my chest feels like it's full. Is this just "supported falsetto?"
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:23 am

Molandfreak wrote:If we're actually free to use the old color system, why aren't we free to use prefixes as well? I'm personally a fan of further distinguishing voice types and I remember a prefix being deleted from an old thread of mine by a mod.
Why limit yourself to those?
Starman wrote:Voice Type: That Jazzy-Broadway Type Tenor
There are more aspects to describe than how "high-placed" one is.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:57 am

Karl wrote:
Molandfreak wrote:If we're actually free to use the old color system, why aren't we free to use prefixes as well? I'm personally a fan of further distinguishing voice types and I remember a prefix being deleted from an old thread of mine by a mod.
That isn't the main problem I have with the limitations. The problem is that they're no longer allowed because of potential thread derailment, which is a slippery slope fallacy BTW. Why can't you just forbid discussion on prefixes being added/removed and leave it up to the individual who started the thread if they want to include them or not? Since voice types are optional, prefixes should also be an option as they don't necessarily lead to stupid discussions like "is this guy a high baritone or a low tenor?"
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:09 am

Molandfreak wrote:
Karl wrote:
That isn't the main problem I have with the limitations.  The problem is that they're no longer allowed because of potential thread derailment, which is a slippery slope fallacy BTW.  Why can't you just forbid discussion on prefixes being added/removed and leave it up to the individual who started the thread if they want to include them or not?  Since voice types are optional, prefixes should also be an option as they don't necessarily lead to stupid discussions like "is this guy a high baritone or a low tenor?"

Voice type prefixes...

That's a totally different problem that may need to be sorted out in a different thread. It would probably be a good idea to talk about that too. Thanks for the reminder.  Smile

However, the same thing applies. A skilled singer that can navigate their range with ease can really fool someones ear into thinking they are a certain voice type. Think Michael Bolton and Billy Joel (in the early days) A singers "comfort zone" is sometimes not so easy to tell, because, well, a trained singer can strain on purpose to give it that intense effect. OR at another moment also be gentle and controlled in that same area of range because they would want to do that. That's why after a while terms like Baritenor started getting thrown around. Qualities of both Baritone and Tenor voice types all rolled up into one.

Edit: I'm using the words trained and professional singers because those examples  always gets people up in arms on what their voice type would be and would always led to conflict in the past. I'm really not sure why a mod would just take out the VT prefix on your thread. You might wanna discuss that with whoever did that.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:42 am

The old voice type prefixes are pretty much in the same boat as register terms right now. Yes, there is some validity to them*, but we overabused them SO much on TRP1 and early TRP2 that a lot of us are trying to avoid them in hopes of steering away from that kind of thinking. In the meantime, there are plenty of other ways of discussing the same concepts without using such taboo language, i.e. saying "belted" instead of "full", "screamed" instead of "gritty falsetto", "false cord" instead of "non-modal", "baritenor" instead of "low tenor", "bass-baritone" instead of "low baritone", "countertenor" instead of "high tenor", etc.

*I say "some" because there are definitely some singers out there who sing prominently high with a baritonish sound, and could therefore be aptly described as "high baritones". Same deal for "high tenors". Terms like "low tenor", however, are pretty stupid in my opinion, because as far as I'm aware, there aren't any singers out there who are exclusively known for their low singing with a tenorish sound. And a term like "mid baritone" is just redundant, if you ask me. You know what most people call "middley" singers? Baritones. Idea
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:57 am

Wanderlust wrote:The old voice type prefixes are pretty much in the same boat as register terms right now. Yes, there is some validity to them*, but we overabused them SO much on TRP1 and early TRP2 that a lot of us are trying to avoid them in hopes of steering away from that kind of thinking. In the meantime, there are plenty of other ways of discussing the same concepts without using such taboo language, i.e. saying "belted" instead of "full", "screamed" instead of "gritty falsetto", "false cord" instead of "non-modal", "baritenor" instead of "low tenor", "bass-baritone" instead of "low baritone", "countertenor" instead of "high tenor", etc.
Naughty
Wanderlust wrote:*I say "some" because there are definitely some singers out there who sing prominently high with a baritonish sound, and could therefore be aptly described as "high baritones". Same deal for "high tenors". Terms like "low tenor", however, are pretty stupid in my opinion, because as far as I'm aware, there aren't any singers out there who are exclusively known for their low singing with a tenorish sound. And a term like "mid baritone" is just redundant, if you ask me. You know what most people call "middley" singers? Baritones. Idea 
Agreed.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:13 am

BioHazard634 wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:The old voice type prefixes are pretty much in the same boat as register terms right now. Yes, there is some validity to them*, but we overabused them SO much on TRP1 and early TRP2 that a lot of us are trying to avoid them in hopes of steering away from that kind of thinking. In the meantime, there are plenty of other ways of discussing the same concepts without using such taboo language, i.e. saying "belted" instead of "full", "screamed" instead of "gritty falsetto", "false cord" instead of "non-modal", "baritenor" instead of "low tenor", "bass-baritone" instead of "low baritone", "countertenor" instead of "high tenor", etc.
Naughty
Fine, leggiero tenor. Zoid
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 am

Thumb up
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:29 am

If prefixes are truly just discouraged (not outright banned), why was one of mine deleted? Abuse of power?
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:38 am

I have no information on the one of yours that got deleted, so I can't answer that. But I would strongly advise avoiding the old prefix system when possible.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:53 am

Wanderlust wrote:
*I say "some" because there are definitely some singers out there who sing prominently high with a baritonish sound, and could therefore be aptly described as "high baritones". Same deal for "high tenors". Terms like "low tenor", however, are pretty stupid in my opinion, because as far as I'm aware, there aren't any singers out there who are exclusively known for their low singing with a tenorish sound. And a term like "mid baritone" is just redundant, if you ask me. You know what most people call "middley" singers? Baritones. Idea

Well yeah, thats precisely what I'm getting at, and why I think while its a different problem, it has similar reactions to disagreements. People like Geoff Tate can get away with a tenor like sound in their upper ranges. If they wanted to, they could've just used their higher ranges and really fool us completely.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 am

Yep. That's why nowadays I'm not as fussed about what singers' "natural placements" actually, so much as the different ways they can use their voice. Because there are plenty of singers out there who can effectively sing bass, baritone, and tenor parts.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:23 am

wabba_treads wrote:

It becomes a problem however, when someone would barge in and derail a thread (not in a nice way either, see MyFairyKing) that isn't theirs just to say that they don't agree with the register a certain note is in. Well guess what? A really coordinated singer can use so many different sound colors to implement to rather than just "full voice" or "just falsetto". I don't think its this black and white (pun partially intended Laughing )

Thanks for the response but I don't understand. This is the first I've heard of a supposed falsetto stigma. And I very rarely witness bickering on whether or not a singer is using falsetto. It's a hot topic when discussing opera sopranists, but elsewise falsetto and full voice are night and day.
You also claim that I'm free to distinguish falsetto in my own threads but I had members of staff berate me for it in two of my threads.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to make threads more user-friendly. If it was easier to hear each listed pitch then it would be possible for users to "come to their own conclusion" without slugging through multiple songs. Timestamps along each pitch would be helpful.

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:42 am

Molandfreak wrote:If prefixes are truly just discouraged (not outright banned), why was one of mine deleted?  Abuse of power?
What prefix was it before and what was it changed to?

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top