To Blue or Not to Blue?

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you favor the distinction of falsetto notes?

60% 60% 
[ 35 ]
16% 16% 
[ 9 ]
24% 24% 
[ 14 ]
 
Total Votes : 58

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  wabba_treads on Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:28 pm

minecraftfan11 wrote:I prefer the blue system. I personally like knowing what notes are falsetto and which are full. It may create arguments, but those are inevitable. Switching points, for me, are quite easy. No matter what you say, I say the blue system will always win no matter who indistinguitable the singer we are making a page for's registers.

Ok, minecraftfan11, very well, its cool you like the old system. I just want to say one thing. If you ever get the time, I want you to do this for me:

Start a thread of your own with a singer you like (that hasn't been done already of course) and use the blue system. You'll see, it will only be a matter of time before someone (don't worry it most likely won't be the people who participated in this thread lol) debates whether a note you include is "full" or "falsetto" and will keep arguing with you and pissing you off until the cows come home. Maybe then you'll understand why we are hesitant to use it anymore..

Experience it for yourself man, see what happens Laughing

Edit: Please, please, PLEASE, visit this page if you haven't already before you start to create a thread.
avatar
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

Posts : 747
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 22
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Hopscotch on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:08 pm

minecraftfan11 wrote:I prefer the blue system. I personally like knowing what notes are falsetto and which are full. It may create arguments, but those are inevitable. Switching points, for me, are quite easy. No matter what you say, I say the blue system will always win no matter who indistinguitable the singer we are making a page for's registers.
If you're going to come to this thread to make a pro-blue argument, would it be too much to ask for you to read through the previous pages to make sure you're not just repeating an argument that's already been stated and addressed a number of times already? I swear virtually every user with that stance comes to this thread and says more or less the same thing that we've rebutted time after time in earlier pages, and it's getting really tiring to have to restate ourselves over and over again. I'm all for free speech and open discussion of possible alternatives, but if you're going to argue against the way things are, you could at least try to bring something new to the discussion.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  wonka on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:28 am

I just want to say that I prefer the blue system. I understand the problems and why the new system is taking over. But I have a solution, it's just an opinion:

If there's a debate about a certain note of a singer if it's not full or not. The owner of the OP can:

-Color the song in orange if it is questionable
-Or another better option: the opinion of the owner makes 2 points, if a person does not agree with a note of the OP, there should be 2 users disagreeing for them to make 2 points, if there are 3, OP could change the color to blue or black, or orange. Democracy

But in the end, the owner of the thread must decide the system he or she wants to use

wonka

Posts : 605
Join date : 2013-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  kokope on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:11 am

wonka wrote:I just want to say that I prefer the blue system. I understand the problems and why the new system is taking over. But I have a solution, it's just an opinion:

If there's a debate about a certain note of a singer if it's not full or not. The owner of the OP can:

-Color the song in orange if it is questionable
-Or another better option: the opinion of the owner makes 2 points, if a person does not agree with a note of the OP, there should be 2 users disagreeing for them to make 2 points, if there are 3, OP could change the color to blue or black, or orange. Democracy

But in the end, the owner of the thread must decide the system he or she wants to use
If there's a debate about a certain note of a singer if it's not full or not.- I have seen many dabates arising from the term full note. Seriously, does it really matter? That's why i am against the blue system. I make my threads only with italic and underline marks.
avatar
kokope

Posts : 357
Join date : 2014-02-13
Age : 19
Location : Burgas,Bulgaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Holsety on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:31 am

wonka wrote:-Color the song in orange if it is questionable
That more depends on the person hearing it than a group of people who can't agree on it. The color orange only shows that a particular note caused too much butthurt to be colored a certain way.

wonka wrote:-Or another better option: the opinion of the owner makes 2 points, if a person does not agree with a note of the OP, there should be 2 users disagreeing for them to make 2 points, if there are 3, OP could change the color to blue or black, or orange. Democracy
Considering the original poster is usually the one doing a lot of research and knowing a lot about the singer's voice, it would be odd for everybody else to decide how to color the the thread. In addition, I doubt OPs would have no problem adding colors they don't agree with in every situation.
avatar
Holsety
Admin

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 21
Location : Lake Isle of Innisfree

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:37 am

Holsety wrote:
wonka wrote:-Color the song in orange if it is questionable
That more depends on the person hearing it than a group of people who can't agree on it. The color orange only shows that a particular note caused too much butthurt to be colored a certain way.
So true Laughing
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Lurex on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:52 am

Wanderlust wrote:
Holsety wrote:
wonka wrote:-Color the song in orange if it is questionable
That more depends on the person hearing it than a group of people who can't agree on it. The color orange only shows that a particular note caused too much butthurt to be colored a certain way.
So true Laughing
Very Happy LOL
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Nick Drake on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:59 am

I agree so hard that we should stop using blue. If it is a note good enough to be in the thread, why argue if it is falsetto or full or both?
It's a good note and that is it.









avatar
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

Posts : 738
Join date : 2014-08-12
Location : In the K├╝bler-Ross Model

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Metalhead123 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm

Holsety wrote:
minecraftfan11 wrote:Here is the color system I like.
Black for full voice notes.
Blue for Falsetto and fry notes.
Orange for notes with questionable registers.
Italics for non-sung notes.
Or maybe some other colors.
Why i like this is so some idiot doesn't say something like
"zomg mike patton has a full vois F#7!!!

I'm really sick of every new member of this forum joining with this logic. Almost every single time, without fail, someone joins thinking they will revive the old system. They are convinced they have infallible logic that's never been brought up before. This system is worthless, and varies wildly depending on whose thread it is. Why do you care what register some singer produces a note in? You have no way of knowing how they're doing that, so why should you waste your time guessing what might be going on?

And how does this prevent people from saying things like that? People always assume the old threads' uncolored notes are 'full voice', where it pertained to what we considered their 'connected range'. The rest of it was random other notes we couldn't be bothered to distinguish or notes that were clearly different from the rest of it. We constantly told people, 'black' =///= 'full'. TRP2 was started in August of 2012 to get away from the 'full/falsetto' terminology, and there are still people joining thinking it's worth anyone's time. My definition of 'full' is different than yours, so what does it mean to me when you use it? I have no way of knowing unless you say so. The general consensus is to use these terms as long as we know what you mean, but don't try to incorporate it in threads. It's a waste of time.

Of course, when it doesn't say that in the threads, people always assume that's the case. With a new system that focuses more on where to find a note in a song and the lightness or heaviness of singing, we can focus more on good-sounding singing, which is what really matters, there isn't any confusion or any guessing. Please, feel free to waste your time, but I'd like to get rid of the system completely; we highly recommend the new system that everyone else considers a 'fad', but people still like to use, old, dated, subjective methods instead. How does this help anyone but yourself?
Can you tell me what the old system was so I know what I am standing for.
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Molandfreak on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:37 pm

^^^^^^
old format wrote:.............................................
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
avatar
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Posts : 845
Join date : 2014-01-11
Age : 22
Location : Moland, Minnesota

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  BioHazard634 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:17 pm

Yes, but that is not what this thread is about. It's not the old system, it's focused on the use of blue to mark falsetto notes, not orange or red or anything like that. (Of course the color doesn't really matter, blue just happens to be used for falsetto.)
avatar
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

Posts : 1118
Join date : 2014-06-01
Age : 21
Location : Connecticut, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Metalhead123 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Molandfreak wrote:^^^^^^
old format wrote:.............................................
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
I like it
Bring back the old system plz
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Molandfreak on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:33 pm

Metalhead123 wrote:
Molandfreak wrote:^^^^^^
old format wrote:.............................................
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
I like it
Bring back the old system plz
You're free to use it in your own threads, it's still allowed. Wink
avatar
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Posts : 845
Join date : 2014-01-11
Age : 22
Location : Moland, Minnesota

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  BioHazard634 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:42 pm

It isn't exactly suggested to use that system at all. Usually what people do now (if they are marking falsetto at all) is just mark clear falsetto notes, along with (many times) notes that are obscured or in backing vocals and (most of the time) "unmelodic" notes. If a note is "orange", that basically means it sounds "full" enough to be uncertainly marked, so it doesn't really matter if it is or not. If a note is "red", it just means it's terrible and shouldn't be counted as a significant note in the first place.
avatar
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

Posts : 1118
Join date : 2014-06-01
Age : 21
Location : Connecticut, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Metalhead123 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Molandfreak wrote:
Metalhead123 wrote:
Molandfreak wrote:^^^^^^
old format wrote:.............................................
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
I like it
Bring back the old system plz
You're free to use it in your own threads, it's still allowed. Wink
Im bad at note watching. I'm still new to this
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Big Daddy on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:54 am

I like the old color system

It's a hell of a lot more impressive for a man to hit a chest Eb5 (Michael Jackson in "Will You Be There" and "Earth Song" than in a falsetto, which virtually all men can do.

Big Daddy

Posts : 33
Join date : 2013-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Prometheus on Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Bobby Martnen wrote:I like the old color system

It's a hell of a lot more impressive for a man to hit a chest Eb5 (Michael Jackson in "Will You Be There" and "Earth Song" than in a falsetto, which virtually all men can do.
I like trains
avatar
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2014-07-10
Age : 22
Location : Manisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Metalhead123 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:18 am

Prometheus wrote:
Bobby Martnen wrote:I like the old color system

It's a hell of a lot more impressive for a man to hit a chest Eb5 (Michael Jackson in "Will You Be There" and "Earth Song" than in a falsetto, which virtually all men can do.
I like trains
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  The Long Shot on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:39 am

As far as I'm aware, this forum is intended for the discussion of different vocalists and their techniques/abilities. Evidently I'm in the minority, but I think vocal registers are an important talking point for these types of discussions. Not that one register is superior to another, but because of the techniques that people use to utilize those registers and to transition between them. It's an extremely crucial distinction, hence why I will continue to use this system going forward.
avatar
The Long Shot
Moderator

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2014-08-19
Age : 18
Location : Hell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:48 am

Is there a reason to still keep this thread around? I feel like we've already had all the useful discussion that we can get out of it, and from what I gather, we pretty much all reached a conclusion on the subject a number of pages/months ago. As far as I can tell, the only people still trying to keep it alive are newbies who apparently can't be bothered to read the discussion from previous pages and usually just end up repeating the same points that have already been addressed.

It's definitely a good thread to keep archived, but I reckon we may as well lock it at this point.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Metalhead123 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:57 am

Wanderlust wrote:Is there a reason to still keep this thread around? I feel like we've already had all the useful discussion that we can get out of it, and from what I gather, we pretty much all reached a conclusion on the subject a number of pages/months ago. As far as I can tell, the only people still trying to keep it alive are newbies who apparently can't be bothered to read the discussion from previous pages and usually just end up repeating the same points that have already been addressed.

It's definitely a good thread to keep archived, but I reckon we may as well lock it at this point.
My response to your idea (click here)
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Karl on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 am

Wanderlust wrote:Is there a reason to still keep this thread around? I feel like we've already had all the useful discussion that we can get out of it, and from what I gather, we pretty much all reached a conclusion on the subject a number of pages/months ago. As far as I can tell, the only people still trying to keep it alive are newbies who apparently can't be bothered to read the discussion from previous pages and usually just end up repeating the same points that have already been addressed.

It's definitely a good thread to keep archived, but I reckon we may as well lock it at this point.
I agree.

Karl
Range Advisor

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2013-07-26
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Holsety on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:39 am

We also went through this in a different thread. Also, I have probably addressed almost anything any of you have to say to defend the old system at this point.
avatar
Holsety
Admin

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 21
Location : Lake Isle of Innisfree

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 am

The thing is that this thread isn't even supposed to be about whether or not we should keep the old system. The OP said it himself just earlier on this page:
BioHazard634 wrote:Yes, but that is not what this thread is about. It's not the old system, it's focused on the use of blue to mark falsetto notes, not orange or red or anything like that. (Of course the color doesn't really matter, blue just happens to be used for falsetto.)
The thread was about whether or not we should keep using blue to mark falsetto, and the poll results proved a majority vote in favor of doing so, so we talked it out and now mostly agree to keep blue as a color in threads to mark soft falsetto notes. Boom. Done. Finished. There's nothing left to discuss regarding the thread's original question, so let's put it away already.


Last edited by Wanderlust on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  BioHazard634 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:07 am

Thank you Wanderlust, I agree completely. Tiphat
avatar
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

Posts : 1118
Join date : 2014-06-01
Age : 21
Location : Connecticut, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum