To Blue or Not to Blue?

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you favor the distinction of falsetto notes?

60% 60% 
[ 35 ]
16% 16% 
[ 9 ]
24% 24% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 58

Re: To Blue or Not to Blue?

Post  Karl on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:45 am

Molandfreak wrote:
Karl wrote:
Molandfreak wrote:If prefixes are truly just discouraged (not outright banned), why was one of mine deleted?  Abuse of power?
What prefix was it before and what was it changed to?
It was here: http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t2021-alfred-diblasi

I do realize now that this was a pretty stupid thread to make, but I did make it back when I was a total newbie who knew very little about the happenings here.  I heard Alfred as a high-placed (lyric) baritone who would bottom out at about F2 or E2, so I listed him as high baritone, but the "high" prefix was deleted within a few hours.
That's not an abuse of power, every thread had that removed

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:33 am

At some point we removed all the prefixes from the Range Stuff threads as well (excluding High Tenor in a few cases), so chances are it would have been removed from your thread before going to Range Stuff anyway.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:31 am

Holsety wrote:Feel free to use the same logic everyone else did two years ago, but we've been doing this long enough to see the problem with that system and move on. The old incarnation of this forum started off doing the same thing, only not listing what they perceived to be 'falsetto' at all. The next step was the blue/orange/red system, which I've made enough posts about in Celice's color coding thread. Basically, anyone could make the thread differently, list any note differently based on what they believe it sounds like. With this in mind, how is it valid?

By the way, you're not gonna find that much 'respect' holding an opinion a good amount of the active users on a forum dislike. This is also the internet we're talking about. Just keep that in mind.

What do you mean "two years ago"? The vast majority of vocal aficionados, composers, and teachers have acknowledged and studied the world of difference between falsetto and full voice for centuries.

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:41 am

You know, the Chronicles of Rangedonia is not a true story.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kewis on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:58 am

Laughing Laughing
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:07 am

Confused Laughing

Wow that took me way to long to catch on to. Bravo! Tiphat
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:13 am

Kewis wrote:Laughing Laughing

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:20 am

Holsety wrote:You know, the Chronicles of Rangedonia is not a true story.
The what?

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:21 am

BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:31 am

Scooby Doo wrote:
Sandblasted wrote:Apologies if I came off as more harsh than I intended, I sometimes have little patience (especially when it comes to newer members since we've had quite a few have made some preeeeetty bad first impressions). I understand you're pretty new and may not be aware of the background of this forum, keep in mind what may seem "black and white" in other communities may not be so for others (this one especially), since "modal" is a word you DO NOT want to use lightly around here, since when it comes to analyzing popular music vocalists this can be a touchy issue. Hence why I recommended against using that word entirely. I still mark soft falsetto notes in my own threads, yet only to point out a stylistic choice rather concern over "modality", otherwise I could dig up some preeeetty terrible examples from the forum's history showing arguments over "power falsetto" and other such nonsense terms. Facepalm
Thanks for the apology, and for not spinning my complaints into a fault with my own character as others have...
I think I'm coming to understand what you mean. Are people too rigidly associating the concept of modality and falsetto with the physiology of the voice? While it's true that you can't be 100% sure what register a singer sings in without a stroboscopy, falsetto and full voice are usually distinct enough in sound that it's not a problem. But a lot of disagreements stem from discussing the difference between chest, mix, and head voice, for instance.

Ya, I haven't actually read through this whole thread until now. Ya, I'm sorry about my comments on your thread there Scooby, I seem to stress whenever I see anything to do with the old system and clearly it's becoming a problem on the forum. I've taken note of it, That's my bad.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:43 am

BioHazard634 wrote:The Chronicles of Rangedonia
Thanks for the link. So where does Medieval fan fiction based on a vocal range discussion board fit into this discussion?

Starman wrote:Ya, I haven't actually read through this whole thread until now. Ya, I'm sorry about my comments on your thread there Scooby, I seem to stress whenever I see anything to do with the old system and clearly it's becoming a problem on the forum. I've taken note of it, That's my bad.
Thanks Starman. Tiphat

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Holsety wrote:You know, the Chronicles of Rangedonia is not a true story.
Well...not entirely true anyway. Wink
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StingsMix on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:11 am

It's weird how using blue has more votes yet it seems like the opposite if you look at the threads. Do the polls have an effect on what actually happens in the forum?
StingsMix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:30 am

They are generally just for debate/discussion. Plus if you compare the more recently updated threads it would probably be more similar to the polls. Also different people create/update different amounts of threads.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:50 am

Yeah, I'd say most of the really active and well-known users would be more on the side of not using colors (at least in the sense of falsetto) generally, so there could be plenty of votes from users who haven't really put up too man threads themselves; which then can potentially be users wanting other users to use colors, but they themselves aren't making threads and so colors aren't seen from them. That could kinda be like a "I want you to do this, but I'm not gonna" thing if users who aren't putting up threads want users who are to "play by their rules". I know this may be going a little too in depth for no reason really, but it's just one way to think of it.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:11 am

BioHazard634 wrote:That could kinda be like a "I want you to do this, but I'm not gonna" thing if users who aren't putting up threads want users who are to "play by their rules".
I don't think that's the best way of putting it, since I don't imagine many voters have no intention of ever starting their own threads, but yeah, we do have hundreds of range threads created by only a handful of users and hundreds of users who each create few if any threads, so the views of those with more range threads will tend to dominate (and since those users tend to be around more they'll tend to contribute more to discussions like this one too). We could also eventually reach a stage where we have threads for so many singers that the average newbie's favourites will all already be here.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BioHazard634 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:19 am

Well, the very large majority of registered users on here are not active at all, but some may be registered and browse a lot, but not really contribute in ways like making threads. And so they could see this thread and vote, but never really put their views into practice.
BioHazard634
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dxfifa on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm a bass and my highs sound like a falsetto of a lighter voice but it's all connected. If I was a thread on herer there'd be a massive debate on the blue and thus I think blue should not be used
dxfifa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Prometheus on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:54 pm

I think it is okay to use blue in classical singers' threads
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Classically trained females?

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Prometheus on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:25 pm

Karl wrote:Classically trained females?
I should've said males. And only when it's obvious. Tone matters in classical music
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:To Blue Or Not To Blue?

Post  Fetty Mercury on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am

I prefer the blue system. I personally like knowing what notes are falsetto and which are full. It may create arguments, but those are inevitable. Switching points, for me, are quite easy. No matter what you say, I say the blue system will always win no matter who indistinguitable the singer we are making a page for's registers.
Fetty Mercury
He's just a boy!

View user profile http://Eggcouncilmusicreviews.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 am

To put things into perspective, that is coming from a 12 year old, who has already been banned once for spamming, and then made an alt to circumvent the ban, which is against the rules. http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t205p435-new-members-introduce-yourself#94707
The only reason he is still here if because the leniency of the admins/mods.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:16 am

Minecraftfan11 wrote:No matter what you say, I say the blue system will always win

The amicable and very relaxed and accepting nature of the forum for the last couple of months as a result of not using the ''Blue'' system anymore is proof enough that the system was outdated.

We aren't condoning it's use, but aren't stopping users from using it either, but we are adamant that discussions of the old system are kept out of threads which use the new system.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:19 pm

minecraftfan11 wrote:I prefer the blue system. I personally like knowing what notes are falsetto and which are full. It may create arguments, but those are inevitable. Switching points, for me, are quite easy. No matter what you say, I say the blue system will always win no matter who indistinguitable the singer we are making a page for's registers.

Why are you still here?
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top