Brett Anderson

Post  reverselion on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:41 am

Vocal Range: F♯2-F5 ♯

High notes:

F5: Stay Together
E5: Hit Me, This Hollywood Life
E♭5: Beautiful Ones, Stay Together, We Believe in Showbiz
D5: High Rising, Hit Me,  Trash
C♯5: Beautiful Ones, Black and Blue, Brass In Pocket, Electricity, Filmstar, My Insatiable One, "Outsiders" Painted People, Picnic by the Motorway, Snowblind, So Young, This Hollywood Life
C5: Can't Get Enough, High Rising, Lazy, The Next Life, We Believe in Showbiz, Where the Pigs Don't Fly, The Wild Ones
B4: Breakdown, Snowblind, So Young, Starcrazy, The Next Life, The Asphalt World, This World Needs a Father
B♭4: Animal Lover, Breakdown, Brass In Pocket, My Insatiable One (Piano Version), "Outsiders", She's Not Dead, The Chemistry Between Us, The Sound of the Streets, The Wild Ones
A4: Love is Dead, Metal Mickey, These Are the Sad Songs
G♯4: Barriers, Beautiful Ones, Black and Blue, Brass In Pocket, Hit Me, Jumble Sale Mums, New Generation, Picnic by the Motorway, Snowblind, The Chemistry Between Us, The Power, The Sound of the Streets, This Hollywood Life, To the Birds, Trash, We Are the Pigs, What Are You Not Telling Me?
G4: Always, Chinese Whispers, Every Monday Morning Comes, High Rising, It Starts and Ends with You, Love is Dead, Metal Mickey, Refugees, Sabotage, Unsung, We Believe in Showbiz
F♯4: Animal Nitrate, Barriers, Bentswood Boys, Europe Is Our Playground, Faultlines, For the Strangers, He's Dead, Heroine, Hit Me, I Count the Times, Killing of a Flashboy, Modern Boys, My Dark Star, New Generation, Painted People, Pantomime Horse, Savoir Favre, So Young, Sometimes I Feel I'll Float Away, Starcrazy, Still Life, The Asphalt World, These Are the Sad Songs,  This World Needs a Father, Unsung
F4: A Different Place, Always, Animal Nitrate, Chinese Whispers, Clowns, Frozen Roads, High Rising, I Count the Times, My Insatiable One, Refugees, Stay Together, The 2 of Us, The Drowners

Low notes:

D3: Autograph, Chinese Whispers, Clowns, Empress, Funeral Mantra, It Starts And Ends With You, Just a Girl, Unsung
C♯3: Blessed, I Count the Times, It Starts and Ends With You, Painted People, This World Needs a Father, To the Birds
C3: Brittle Heart, Chinese Whispers, Empress, High Rising, Just a Girl, The 2 of Us, We Believe in Showviz
B2: Autograph, Dolly, It Starts and Ends With You, The Drowners, To the Birds
B♭2: Blessed, Brass In Pocket, Dolly, Still Life, The Drowners
A2: Co-Star, Metal Mickey, Refugees, The 2 of Us
G♯2: Bentswood Boys, Brass In Pocket, Metal Mickey (Island Demo), My Dark Star, New Generation, Sadie, Still Life, The Asphalt World, The Drowners, These Are the Sad Songs, To The Birds (Rocking Horse Demo)
F♯2: Killing of a Flashboy, These Are the Sad Songs

*Blue marks soft falsetto notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
*Underlines denote backing vocals or vocals buried in the mix.

The lead vocalist for Suede and the Tears, as well as a solo artist. Brett's vocals on the first Suede albums were flamboyant, Bowie-inspired Mockney whine with lots of falsetto. In contrast, it's worth noting that on early demos his vocal style is much more restrained. Brett seems to have toned down his vocals quite a bit over time, as evident in his solo records, although with Suede he still sings in his upper register a lot of the time. I read an interview somewhere where he basically admitted to oversinging in his early records which was pretty interesting.

Last edited by reverselion on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:46 am; edited 27 times in total
reverselion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brett Anderson

Post  reverselion on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx-eEpMqHYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5lgFLuB48c

Brett attempts the B4s and Bb4s in both of these recentish live versions, which surprised me xD Sounds very shaky and he doesn't reach them, sadly. Still I'm surprised that he sings most of Suede songs at the original key live, as there are F#4s in about every other song, and quite a lot of G4s and G#4s too - without forgetting falsetto in like every song before Neil Codling joined, and after that, too. He does crack up though, and skip a lot of highs by letting the crowd sing them, so...

Btw, songs like The Asphalt World and This World Needs a Father are quite difficult, because they sound like they're between the keys of A and G#, & F# and F, respectively. To my knowledge, the latter hasn't been performed live, but I just assumed both of these songs were recorded in the Eb tuning, like most early Suede songs, and then they or the producer fucked up with the speed or something. There is a demo of The Asphalt World, though, which is slightly lower-pitched than the studio version, and live it was always in G#.

Interesting, right?
reverselion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reverselion on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:55 am

Suede - Outsiders:

A new song from Suede, featuring some slightly surprising high notes from Brett. In the choruses, like at 01:12, he hits B♭4s clearly without falsetto and again several ones near the end. No idea how much studio magic is involved so I look forward to seeing if he'll be able to pull this off live, judging by the fact that his highs have sounded pretty strained live for quite some time. I wonder if he's taken singing lessons recently or something.

Oh and I suppose the song is okay although not the most original one ever XD Some clever chords at the pre-chorus though.
reverselion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top