ROUND 7: Holsety vs Pepe Forever

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 7: Holsety vs Pepe Forever

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:54 pm

This is the thread for the round 7 matchup of Holsety and Pepe Forever. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 7: Holsety vs Pepe Forever

Post  Holsety on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:46 am

Vocal Cover
Otis Redding - Change Gonna Come

Original: Sam Cooke

Acapella
Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) - The Ocean
2:15-2:39
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:44 am

Vocal cover

Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) - Physical

I'd suggest listening to the whole thing, since he throws some quite fitting screams and breaths in between, but if you want only the parts containing actual singing, here you are:
0:56 to 2:06
2:20 to 3:47 (dat distorsion)
4:31 to 5:11

Phew, good thing Trent Reznor's best vocal performance (IMO of course) is a cover. Here he takes on this Adam and the Ants song. Apart from the obvious change to his own signature phrasing and delivery, he changes some melodies here and there and gives the song a much fiercer touch with prominent use of distorted highs throught it, performing some of the most visceral yet fine sounding singing he's ever done.

Original:

Spoiler:

0:41 to 1:51
2:00 to 3:08
3:50 to END

Acapella singing

Ville Valo (HIM) - The Funeral of Hearts live Argentina 2014

http://picosong.com/PV64/

Sorry for the bad quality and the fans screaming ( Laughing ) but this is, leaving nationalities aside lol, the best live acapella run by Ville I could find. Nice mellismatic runs and falsetto, with smooth low singing at the end.
It's not strictly acapella since there's the keyboard chords on the back, but they are done veeery quietly (sometimes they are almost
unoticeable) and the whole passage is obviously led by Ville's vocals.
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:40 am

Covers
Otis: Misses the incredibly emotional textures of the original. I dunno, I'm not really fond of his version, though he does an ok job with it, it felt a bit perfunctory. 2.5/5
Reznor: Obviously Trent has an advantage in that he is not covering one of the greatest vocal performances of all time, and in fact a tune with very mediocre singing. Great distortion as stated, much improved from the original. 3.5/5

A Capella
Plant: It's always nice to hear the warm side of his voice; the use of harmonies really makes me wish we could have heard more of that from him. 3/5
Valo: Great selection, too bad the quality wasn't better, but it probably actually helped to cancel out the very slight keyboard in the background. Strong tasteful singing from Ville. 4/5

Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DanXPrado on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:20 am

Covers
Otis: A good cover, but after listening to the original, I don't know... It lacks some power. Still a good cover, though. Lots of cool melismas. 3.5/5
Reznor: Great cover. Trent's voice is really awesome and I love that distortion. The song isn't THAT hard though... Nothing really special.  4/5

A Capella
Plant: I know it's the legendary Plant, but... Let's be honest. This is singing, not SINGING. You know what I mean? Just some "la, la, lalala...". I'm sure Plant could do MUCH better than this. Sad it's just a short passage. Cool harmonies though.  3.5/5
Valo: Very good. However, it wasn't too pleasant to hear when he went high (0:25). And yeah, it sounds like there is a keyboard in the background.  4/5
DanXPrado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:04 am

Covers
Redding: Very good take with solid vocal embellishments but Cooke's is probably better. 3.5/5
Reznor: Cool gritty singing and definitely an improvement over the original. 4/5

A cappella
Plant: Always nice to hear this passage. Classic section indeed. 4/5
Valo: Hmm not the greatest singing I've heard from Valo but quite a good tone nonetheless. Some of his a cappella phrasing tends to be a bit directionless though. 3.5/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top