ROUND 7: Kewis vs DanXPrado

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 7: Kewis vs DanXPrado

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:53 pm

This is the thread for the round 7 matchup of Kewis and DanXPrado. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 7: Kewis vs DanXPrado

Post  DanXPrado on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:04 am

Best vocal cover:
Chester Bennington - Rolling in the Deep (Adele cover):

Original version (since Chester's version is live, I'm posting Adele's live as well):

This is a great song and a very hard one to cover. Chester is quite confident here and awesomely nails it.
There are only a few famous male singers that could deliver such a good performance of this song.
I like how controlled he sounds on his high notes maintaining a great tone and a nice vibratto.
There is also a beautiful melisma at 2:52 showing that he, just as Adele, can put lots of emotion into his singing and have an incredible control over his voice when it comes to techniques such as vibratto and melismas.

Best a cappella passage:
Adam Gontier - Be Your Husband (starts around 0:55):

I really like this performance. It's a really complete acapella performance: soft chest singing, high belted notes, falsetto, distorted notes and melismas. It's impressive how he changes from a high melismatic distorted singing to a great sounding falsetto instantly.
His husky tone adds an awesome quality to the softer chest parts while his distortion puts lots of emotion into his high singing.
DanXPrado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kewis on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:35 am

Alright, my picks:

Best vocal cover:

James Hetfield - Loverman

Hetfield here shows an amount of versatility atypical for him, going from strong 4th octave singing with the classic Hetfield tone down to deeper warm singing, eerie 2nd octave lines and very deep speaking that fits the feel of the song well in my opinion.

Here's the original:

Acapella passage:

Rob Halford - Silent Night

1:47-4:02

Probably something you wouldn't expect from someone nicknamed "The Metal God", but this performance really shows off Rob's versatility: very pleasant falsetto, along with strong lows and strong chesty higher singing. The vocal harmonies are great aswell and he puts a lot of emotion into his singing here. Very wide vibrato as well as great melisma; love those slide ups to the upper 4th octave around the middle of the clip.
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:33 am

Covers
Chester: A bold cover indeed. Man, he nails it. I wish we heard this side of his voice more, especially the excellent vibrato and dynamics. 5/5
Hetfield: He loses a lot of the pure creepiness of Cave's version, but there's no denying the strength and warmth of the lower singing here. He makes the chorus pop a lot more too, even though his delivery makes it sound more tongue-in-cheek. Features some of his belt belting as well. 4.5/5

A capella
Gontier: Wow did you get lucky with your first category with that singer. By far the best singing I've heard from him, extremely soulful, great projection, even good vibrato. 5/5
Halford: I actually think I like his singing better when it was just one voice, but there is no denying the control and great vibrato throughout the piece. Rob really tries to branch out a bit with the arrangements here, though it's a bit all over the place; the slides sound really cool though, and the section at 3:35 is great. Probably the best singing from him during this period. 4.5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:24 am

Covers
Chester Bennington: Beautiful. I never knew Chester could sing like that. 5/5.
James Hetfield: Another very challenging cover, in different ways. He does an excellent job, with great contrasts between the strong lows and whispery creepy lows and the chorus. 4.5/5.

A capella
Adam Gontier: Particularly impressive for a live performance, very solid throughout and nice falsetto. 4/5.
Rob Halford: The harmonies are lovely and I especially like the soft vocals towards the end of the clip. 4/5.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top