Tom Chaplin (Keane)

Post  Starman on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 am

Voice Type: Tenor
Vocal Range: G2-A5

Significant High Notes:

• A5 (''Under Pressure'')
  • G♯5 ("Perfect Symmetry")
  • G5 (''Under Pressure'')
  • F5 ("Again And Again" demo, "You Don't See Me")
  • E5 ("My Shadow")
  • E♭5 ("Black Rain")
  • D5 ("Another One Bites The Dizzee" live, ''Disco 2000'' live, ''Under Pressure'', "You Don't See Me")
  • C♯5 ("Dirtylicious" live)
  • C5 ("Better Than This", ''Disco 2000'' live, ''Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'', ''It's A Hard Life'' live, ''She Has No Time'')
  • B4 ("Another One Bites The Dizzee" live, ''Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'', "Hamburg Song", "Love Is The End", "My Shadow", "On The Road", "Pretend That You're Alone", ''She Has No Time'', "Sovereign Light Café", "Time To Go", "The Boys", "To The End Of The Earth", ''Under Pressure'', "Watch How You Go")
  • B♭4 ("Disco 2000'' live, "In Your Own Way", ''It's A Hard Life'' live, "Perfect Symmetry", "Playing Along", "Same Heart", "Silenced By The Night", "Spiralling", "Untitled 1", "We Might As Well Be Strangers" live)
  • A4 ("Again And Again", "Bedshaped", ''Bend And Break'', ''Can't Stop Now'', "Don't Look Back In Anger" live, ''Everybody's Changing'', 'Golden Slumbers'' live, ''Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'', 'It's A Hard Life'' live, "Myth", "Neon River", "On A Day Like Today", "Run With Me", "Sea Fog", ''She Has No Time'', "Snowed Under", ''Somewhere Only We Know'', "The Starting Line", ''This Is The Last Time'', ''Under Pressure'', ''We Might As Well Be Strangers'', ''With Or Without You'' live, "You Are Young", ''Your Eyes Open'')

Significant Low Notes:

• E3 (''Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'', "Neon River", "Strangeland", "Time To Go", "Untitled 1", ''With Or Without You'' live, "Your Eyes Open")
  • E♭3 ("In Your Own Way", "Perfect Symmetry", "Silenced By The Night")
  • D3 (''Golden Slumbers'' live, "Hamburg Song", "It's Not True", "Myth", "Watch How You Go", ''We Might As Well Be Strangers'', ''With Or Without You'' live)
  • C3 ("Black Rain", "Run With Me", "Spiralling", "The Starting Line")
  • C♯3 ("Under Pressure")
  • B2 ('"Disconnected", 'With Or Without You'' live, ''Your Eyes Open'')
  • A2 ("My Shadow", "Sea Fog", ''With Or Without You'' live)
  • G2 ("Everyday People" live, ''She Has No Time'')

Lead singer for the band 'Keane', probably best known for songs like ''Everybody's Changing'' and ''Somewhere Only We Know'' (famously covered by Lily Allen). He possesses a great tenor voice, reminiscent of Matt Bellamy, but also channels some Elton John and definitely Freddie Mercury here and there. A very easy higher range.
For example here:
He nails this performance! Just effortless A4s and B♭4s throughout. Freddie would've been proud.

Last edited by Starman on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:46 am; edited 6 times in total
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tom Chaplin (Keane)

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:58 am

could you write a description of him/his career? i know that he has his own band and whatnot, but from the thread he looks like a cover artist.

Last edited by The Great Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:59 am

He has a great A5 in his studio cover of Under Pressure, though as far as I'm aware he's never nailed it live (I've only heard him attempt the A5 live twice: one attempt was flat and the other barely audible). IIRC Freddie himself usually avoided it live too - it's a bitch to sing.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:00 am

The Great Lurex wrote:could you write a description of him/his career?

Sure.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:13 am

Are there any better pictures of him that could be featured? He doesn't look too flattering on the current one, actually not like himself at all. Whistle
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:17 am

Is that one any better? ^
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:29 am

I'd say so. I mean, ultimately it's your call, considering you two have contributed so much for Tom's thread, but at least he looks like himself on this one! Wink
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:39 am

Rapport Rapturer wrote:I'd say so. I mean, ultimately it's your call, considering you two have contributed so much for Tom's thread, but at least he looks like himself on this one! Wink

My bad, I just quickly picked a random pic from Google images. Celice, that photo is awesome  Thumb up 
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Starman wrote:He nails this performance! Just effortless A4s and B♭4s throughout. Freddie would've been proud.
Inb4 Greg comes along to correct Brian and Tom and tell us exactly how many times Queen did play it live  Smile 
It is indeed a great performance. Here's another interesting one - though nothing noteworthy pitchwise, it displays his voice in its purest form because this is as unplugged as it gets: an unamplified solo performance of Again and Again (venue is Union Chapel, capacity a cosy 800).
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Starman wrote:He possesses a great tenor voice, reminiscent of Matt Bellamy (probably a great influence on Bellamy's vocal style)[/youtube]
Hadn't Muse already released 3 albums when Keane released their first?

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Indeed.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:10 am

JaredLeto wrote:
Starman wrote:He possesses a great tenor voice, reminiscent of Matt Bellamy (probably a great influence on Bellamy's vocal style)[/youtube]
Hadn't Muse already released 3 albums when Keane released their first?

whoops!!! All I meant to say was that their vocal styles are at times very similar.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:15 am

DAMN CELICE! Great work so far, sorry I haven't added much I was away today. Are we still agreed i'll watch the first two Keane albums?
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:21 am

Yeah, if you still want to. As you can probably see I added some stuff from the Perfect Symmetry album, as well as a few notes from an old version of the thread from TRP1 which Timi had archived. It didn't have much from Under The Iron Sea though, so there's plenty still to fill in if you'd like to.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:34 am

Ya, i'll get right on it. I must say, the OP is really coming together. I see you've researched some live cover tracks too like ''Don't look back in anger''. Awesome!  Thumb up 
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:43 am

Starman wrote:He nails this performance! Just effortless A4s and B♭4s throughout. Freddie would've been proud.

This is INCREDIBLE. He doesn't just nail all the lines, he also sounds a lot like Freddie on a lot of it! Wicked.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top