Supernova (or something like that) - Benji

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Supernova (or something like that) - Benji

Post  Lurex on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:56 pm

here's the vocal's of the song I'm working on right now.  It's nearly half way done, and it's been a bitch to record.  so far it ranges from 18-48 part harmonies at some points.

Not sure what I'm going to title it, although I think the soundcloud name is pretty close to what the final version will be named.

https://soundcloud.com/pissonmyface/fuckton-o-harmonies-but-only-the-vocals-no-other-music-fuck-that-gay-shit/s-s4F4W

anybody else good with recording large harmonies?  I've been struggling through it - and it has not been pretty.

Although I'm happy with what I got, there's so much I'd do to improve it if I only knew how; I can hear the sound I want but I'm not sure how to go about it.  if anybody has experience or tips with recording large parts like this, please let me know how you've dealt with achieving a more uniform and crisp sound to your harmonies.  also, if you have any tips for recording harmonies, please share them.

all criticism, especially the bad racist homophobic kind, is welcome.  inb4 this thread is lost forever by another of bradphones awful covers.

bigger link:https://soundcloud.com/pissonmyface/fuckton-o-harmonies-but-only-the-vocals-no-other-music-fuck-that-gay-shit/s-s4F4W
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Supernova (or something like that) - Benji

Post  The Great Heroins on Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:56 pm

You know I love yah boy! Keep on doing this stuff because it is sweet as hell. It will only get better and better as you keep writing until eventually you will have your own all female fanclub based out of Tokyo.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:10 am

fuck off bradphone stop bumping your shitty ass threads

@Heroinbb: luv u 2!! can't wait until we have our own harem dedicate to us in our japan fanbase, we're going to stain or designer-kimonos white.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aníbal on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:35 am

Bohemian Lurex Rhapsody

How many voices are there dude, lol

the part from 0:48 is my favorite
Aníbal

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/anibal-m-sica

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:15 am

haha thanks, that's actually my favorite part too.

the main vocal melody is always double-tracked, sometimes up to 4 takes at once - each a unique take, I don't copy/paste i just sing it again with the same rhythm and phrasing.

the harmonies range from 18-48 harmonies on average, I think the largest is somewhere at ~60 voices at once. I always sing each line of the harmony at least 3 times, and if I want one section to overpower the others I might go up to 6.

technically it's all just my voice though, so I guess the answer is either 60 or 1.

As I was telling Heroins, I wish I could have a few other people to record harmonies with. as much as i tried to vary the tone of my voice, it didn't really work - and I still had to try and convey dynamics which sadly got muddied together after the first dozen vocals. As per my voice, all the harmonies are more dominant in the mid ranges, despite how high or low i sing. I'd love to have someone with a warm resonant low range and a piercing high range to even out the mix and blend of voices.

Sorry for the long ass post.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:21 am

I've never taken harmonies too seriously in terms of recording my own voice, even though you've demonstrated here how powerful they can be.. If I were more comfortable singing louder around here I guess I would probably bother.

I've tried recording harmonies with Heroins but I'm still waiting for him to tell me a song he'd actually want to record.. He was all about timing when we were working on Words of Love.
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:36 am

it's all about timing. this was my first attempt at recording harmonies, and I learned that very quickly. rhythm and being I point with your entrances/exits is EVERYTHING. also, make sure your pitches change simultaneously. it's very hard to get it crisp sounding, which i realize all comes from having a masterful sense of timing - something only people like Queen have achieved with their perfect harmonizing.

Another thing is being able to sing the notes a certain way; believe it or not, to make a powerful harmony you don't sing harder. you have to sing all the notes lightly and softly because anything too harsh will stick out like a sore thumb. Your A4's have to be as soft as your D4's. Powerful or weaker comes from phrasing it and recording more or less parts in the whole. Also falsetto rarely works for higher harmonies, it gets pushed back in the mix and gets lost so I recommend trying to sing what you can in a light head voice/mix. Use tons of air.

That's about what I've learned so far, I'll add more to this thread. I want people to discuss harmonization recording techniques because it's much more difficult and less intuitive than people think yet it's so fascinating.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:35 am

I still intend to do a song with you Holsety!  I just got to get a new recording setup now that I am in LA first.  It really is all about timing + pitch obviously.  And Benji, we WILL have that fanclub.. *subtle frothing of the mouth begins* we WILL.... *increases* WE WILL!!!!! IT WILL TAKE PLACE MAN *escalates further with intake of PCP* *brutally suicides*
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aníbal on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:43 pm

The Great Lurex wrote:haha thanks, that's actually my favorite part too.

the main vocal melody is always double-tracked, sometimes up to 4 takes at once - each a unique take, I don't copy/paste i just sing it again with the same rhythm and phrasing.

the harmonies range from 18-48 harmonies on average, I think the largest is somewhere at ~60 voices at once.  I always sing each line of the harmony at least 3 times, and if I want one section to overpower the others I might go up to 6.

technically it's all just my voice though, so I guess the answer is either 60 or 1.

As I was telling Heroins, I wish I could have a few other people to record harmonies with.  as much as i tried to vary the tone of my voice, it didn't really work - and I still had to try and convey dynamics which sadly got muddied together after the first dozen vocals.  As per my voice, all the harmonies are more dominant in the mid ranges, despite how high or low i sing.  I'd love to have someone with a warm resonant low range and a piercing high range to even out the mix and blend of voices.

Sorry for the long ass post.

You're working hard man!
Well, Tell me if I can help you Tiphat
Aníbal

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/anibal-m-sica

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:12 am

thanks anibal!
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:59 am

Sounds brilliant!  Thumb up 
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:34 am

thanks! the instrumental is very DJ snake, in case anybody wanted to hate me for potentially ruining this.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 am

Cool work on vocals, there must be like 10 layers of voices or something. I would like to hear final mix with instruments tho.
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:52 am

thanks Donuts!  60 layers of voices Yeah! 

the instruments aren't something this forum would like, it's meant to be a dance song.

anyway, the point of doing this was to get better at recording harmonies because i tried it and i sucked at it.  thanks to this, i've gone back to the song that prompted me to experiment with this, and the difference is incredible. obviously i haven't gotten much better at singing between recordings (cause it's only been like two months) but i've gotten better at recording. here's the before and after (don't mind that I changed the key, it was purely stylistic)

before: https://soundcloud.com/pissonmyface/attempt-1-at-harmonies/s-zmzQn

after: https://soundcloud.com/pissonmyface/attempt-2-at-harmonies/s-m9vIX

forgive the poor audio quality on the second one, i haven't cleaned it up i just recorded it. i'm going to replace the melody line, i just used it to know where/when to do the harmony.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:31 am

You better have an album out in two years of this stuff! By the way did you get my song? Forgive me for the one part about not having brains, it was all improvised and it really wasn't about you I just named it that for fucks.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:40 am

send it again, cause i never got anything
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 am

Nah, it wasn't even that great. It was actually pretty good though. It was just me improvising all this really cool ragtime piano stuff with funny lyrics. I will send you something way more emotional in a second. Prepare for tears.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:23 am

you still need to record your large harmonies like you promised! i want to see what you can do.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:27 am

I gotta get mixcraft bro! I am sorry.. this computer would implode if I tried to run it rofl.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:32 am

also i need you to record a guitar solo for me like you did for that other song i sent you
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:34 am

D'aww, i'd be honored except I don't have that great of an amp anymore since I left my amazing Marshall 100 watt back home. I still have an amp and electric though so it will do. I also found a decent microphone here so all I got to do is get some kind of recording setup to record a single high quality track and I should be able to help you out.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:45 am

i really liked that smooth tone you had last time, it was exactly the guitar tone i like. i hate that crunchy distorted stuff everyone else does - you play it perfectly and clean.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks babe, all my favorite guitarist play like that. I learned most of what I can do from listening Robby Krieger + Chet Atkins.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:16 pm

exactly!~ like chet atkins
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:57 am

i bought a new mic (based on BigRedd's suggestion, an AKG Perception 420) and i'm going to record some harmonies to see if there's any noticeable difference.  since i'm no longer using a dynamic microphone (sm58 that i held on a broken half-microphone stand), and instead a nice condenser mic supported on a boom mic with a pop filter, hopefully it'll be cleaner crisper harmonies.

however, i am finding that since i run around a lot and move my hands when i sing, it's picking it up on the mic  Laughing . i've got to stop with the hand dances.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top