ROUND 6: Whackooyzero vs 1000 Forms of Saint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 6: Whackooyzero vs 1000 Forms of Saint

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:03 am

This is the thread for the round 6 matchup ofWhackooyzero and 1000 Forms of Saint. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 6: Whackooyzero vs 1000 Forms of Saint

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:36 am

Best glissando:

4:20 - Andi Deris does a pretty awesome slide up to G5 without any breaks or awkward switches.

Best live clip:

5:35 - 6:03 Some crazy intense vocals by Chad Gray in the song Cradle live in what looks to be around 2002. Crazy screams and distortion control in this clip.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:32 am

Like your selections, Whackooyzero! Very Happy

Best Glissando/Degliss: Tori Amos
I chose a clip from a live cover of "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M. with some crazy improv. She does a powerful, quick slide up to a C5 followed by C♯5s and some crazy scratchy shouts afterwards. The time would be from 9:05-9:35.

Best Live Clip: Sia
I chose this brilliant performance of this heart-wrenching song. Beautiful control of her belting demonstrated here. Time to listen would be from 2:17-3:11.
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:41 am

Live:
Garric: It's a bit unsettling that he delivers some lines normally in-between some really intense singing; but the screams do sound wild and fitting for that type of music. 4/5
Saint: Nice to hear she delivered the same line differently each time; she adjusted her volume and emotion throughout, as well. I guess it doesn't occur to me as otherworldly or anything, but I enjoyed it. 4/5

Glissando:
Garric: Interesting. I like that the song climaxes there and he chose a cool note to resolve on, rather than a B♭5. Granted, it's possible he couldn't go that high, but still. 4.5/5
Saint: I can sympathize with the potentially difficulty in finding a glissando; that said, while the slide itself covers a few notes, it's still a slide. 3/5
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Whackooyzero (glissando) 4/5
Seamlessly done, and impressive tone to the glissando.
Whackooyzero (live singing) 3.5/5
Sounds painful. I like the tone to the screams. Insane notes.

1000 Forms Of Saint (glissando) 4/5
Very chesty belting here. Nice glissandos
1000 Forms Of Saint (live singing) 4.5/5
Well supported notes. They fit the context of the song very well, and the performance shows emotion well.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:20 am

Glissando
Deris: Incredible. Like you said, no obvious switches or breaks. 5/5
Amos: That slide at the beginning was good, but not especially impressive. Everything after that seemed kinda pointless. 3/5

Live Singing
Gray: Good as far as that style goes, those screams at the end were impressive. Not much else to say, I didn't find it very interesting and I feel like I've heard that from different vocalists plenty times before. 2.5/5
Sia: Very nice soulful belting, with great tonal control and pitch. The ASL was a nice touch too. 3.5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:44 pm

GLISSANDO

Deris/Whackoo: Insane, lengthy and monumental slide. I'm not giving a perfect score 'cause I believe it can get a little better than this (even though it's hard to imagine). 4.5/5

Tori/Saint: Love how much emotion she puts to her singing, those sustained notes sound great, but there's not much to offer here when it comes to glissandos apart from those short slides at the beginning. 3/5

-----------------------------

LIVE SINGING

Gray/Wachoo: Well, I liked his raspy tone at the beginning more than the shrieks, and I gotta recognize it is quite a feat to be able to pull heavy kinds of distortion frequently in a live setting with consitency and power. Liked it, technically great, but didn't blow my mind. 4/5

Sia/Saint: Her delivery is great, awesome control of dynamics, great vibrato and high notes, and it's all done in an extremely smooth, controlled and seamless way, so much it sounds straight up like a studio recording. 4.5/5
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:49 am

Glissando
Deris: His vocal tone in general is not really my favourite, but it's flawlessly executed as far as technique goes. 4/5
Amos: Love the aggressive yelling as well, but other than the short (but excellent-sounding) climb, there's not much else solely for this category. 3/5

Live Singing
Gray: Kickass stuff. Chad Gray's one of a kind at the harsher vocals, and this passage impressed me in a different sense. Very powerful screaming, great technique and additional aggression to the sound that makes it sound so menacing. 4/5
Sia: Great rendition, definitely a studio quality vocal performance. Loved the tasteful melismatic choices! Her vocal style at the beginning reminds me a tad of Fiona Apple. 4/5
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top