ROUND 6: Kewis vs Celice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 6: Kewis vs Celice

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:02 am

This is the thread for the round 6 matchup of Kewis and Celice. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 6: Kewis vs Celice

Post  Kewis on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:08 am

Best live clip:

Rob Halford - Freewheel Burning live at the Tube 1984

0:20-2:11

Lots of impressive high, controlled melody singing that gets up to the 5th octave, along with some very fast lines at the end of the clip. Switching more chesty, gritty sound with the classic Halford head voice sound with those highs. I was having a hard time choosing between this and the "Sad Wings" live Insurrection performance, but I thought I'd go with this performance since there is more versatily shown.

Best glissando/slide:

Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth - Wish You Were Dead

16 seconds in the song, Blitz goes for a sick ascending high scream that slides up to a sustained B5.
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am

Best live clip: Morten Harket, Summer Moved On, a-ha farewell concert in Oslo 2010 - the 2 minutes starting from where I've timestamped the YouTube clip, i.e. from about 1:54-3:54 (and especially the bit from about 3:27) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjFstWjdOA4#t=114

Best glissando: Vitas, Byelorussia. I was slightly disappointed that the category was changed from "Best glissando or scale" to just "Best glissando", but here's my clip for the revised category: https://soundcloud.com/irene-mciver/vitas-glissando-to-d6
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:40 am

Okay so obviously I'm a tad biased towards Kewis' singers/clips but I'm putting that aside for my ratings.

Live clip:
Halford: Halford in his prime right here with his best head voice tone and killer diction. Only downside is he does get fairly wobbly in the faster part, but otherwise quite remarkable. 4.5/5
Harket: This was some very good, tasteful and tonally quite good singing but it didn't strike me as a live moment where I go "whoa he really pulled that off". So a bit subjective here of course, but I'll go with 3.5/5.

Glissando:
Blitz: Man this was just brutal and awesome, and it also reminded me I need to check out the rest of the Electric Age. I also like how the amount of distortion on his voice increased as he ascended. 4.5/5
Nomi: I'm really amazed at the vibrato control and tone in this clip. Not much else to say but a perfect clip for this category. 4.5/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:55 am

Live
Kewis: He seems a bit spontaneous and uncontrolled at times; and he really didn't need to take such a large portion of the song in the 5th octave.. But I guess not all of us could do that. 4/5
Celice: Broken record here.. It is tasteful, and while a sustained note can garner some approval from an audience, the clip as a whole got to be a bit mundane after a while. 3.5/5

Glissando
Kewis: Interesting to hear the flavors in his voice in this slide as compared to Plant's clean slide in my submission. 4.5/5
Celice: I heard a split or something in the middle of this; but I guess that wouldn't occur to most people. Other than that it's great for this category. 4.5/5

Last edited by Holsety on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Kewis (live singing) 3/5
He sounds pretty nice, I think. Nice vibrato, too.
Kewis (glissando) 5/5
Fuck! Awesome. Sounds stronger than most notes I've heard at that pitch and is definitely sustained longer than most. Cool throaty distortion too.

Celice (live singing) 4/5
Soothing, relaxing and tasteful.
Celice (glissando) 4.5/5
Very piercing. Impressive, adding a vibrato to a note that high.

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Live Singing
Halford: Not the best live tone and he sounds quite pitchy at several points. I wonder if he was having a hard time hearing himself here. Nevertheless I've always thought he sounded more powerful on this than the studio version, and this is the trickiest part of his voice to sing in. 3/5
Harket: Absolutely beautiful tone. He actually sounds better here than in the 80s. Not particularly difficult singing, outside of some smooth highs, but delivered to perfection. 3.5/5

Glissando
Blitz: Really stellar; top note isn't my favorite but it's hella powerful and doesn't lose any of the strength of the lower notes. 5/5
Vitas:  Also just hits it right out of the park. 5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:42 am

Live Singing
Halford: Although a tad wobbly and thin at times, I think Halford sounds great there, considering how tricky the song is to sing. Awesome stamina and love the higher wails! 3.5/5
Harket: Morten's never had to resort to peacocking to get his point across, and why should he? Amazing voice, very tastefully delivered performance plus an excellent sustained high note. 4/5

Glissando
Blitz: How the fuck? 5/5
Vitas: How the hell? 5/5
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top