Show Must Go On - Queen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Show Must Go On - Queen

Post  bradphone on Sat May 31, 2014 10:51 am

I sound a bit uncomfortable at some points, but nothing too bad in my opinion.
Used a karaoke backingtrack of course.

Think i sounded pretty good at the higher parts and even the first verse..

https://soundcloud.com/bradley-van-dijk/smgo
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Show Must Go On - Queen

Post  Lurex on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:48 am

that whole cover sounded terrible, and it's among your worst.  in all honesty, that as embarassing to listen to because it sounded so amateur and poorly sang - especially that disgusting sounding intro. i don't think you understand the song, nor do you understand queen songs and how they're supposed to be sung.

the way you sang that, i'd be glad to have the show end right now.

watch this from 4:20-5:50. you are by no means "technically perfect," but the guy nails what makes singing a queen song (specifically, the show must go on) different from singing any other song.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:18 am

Yeah I kinda have to agree with Lurex to an extent. I wouldn't have put it so drastically, but it was nowhere near your best overall. To be fair, Lurex seemed to be listening for Freddie's version, which is so easy to do with these kinds of songs, especially for a fan. There is/was only one Freddie Mercury and most loyal fans are really fierce whenever someone tries to cover a queen song differently "Pretty good, but still not Freddie". Facepalm Well no shit! Unless the person singing was a reincarnation of Freddie, it obviously wouldn't top the original unless the cover was completely its own version. There's no pleasing some people no matter what.

First of all kudos for trying out your lower register, the approach just didn't work for this kind of song. You have a pretty strong mixed voice sound, you just really need to know how to control it. I really hope you're not pushing yourself too hard after you got that flu because you still sound pretty raspy and strained in your upper register...

Be really careful with the wide vibrato, especially at that famous last run that tops at D5, it can sound really unsteady if you're not focusing on the groove and rhythm of the song. Here's a quote from one of my favorite cheesy singers of all time Gino Vannelli. " "you need to control your vibrato - instead of letting your vibrato control you". Try getting a metronome whenever you're working on your vibrato and start at a note comfortable in your range and slide up and down a half step below like from B to Bb up and down, and then speed it up gradually.

BTW that guy is the clip Lurex shared is a really great singer, I just don't think his approach worked either for this song, he sounded too high larynx to me and needed to brighten up the sound color.

That was a brave attempt, but just keep practicing on the smaller details, they all add up to a watercolor picture and that's what Queen was all about  Smile
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:36 am

^that was my point.  the guy explains that, despite being a very talented singer, even he cannot make the song sound good like freddie did.  i was trying to tell bradphone that i didn't hear any passion or inflection in his voice, aside from being mediocrely sung. notice how he cringes at how lifeless his version sounds - and once they play freddie's version, despite being the same notes, it sounds like a completely different song.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:58 am

Well, i do actually agree with you all, but i felt like recording it anyways to get to know my higher register a bit more, and i actually liked the lower register in the beginning... You`re both correct about my Vibrato yeah, at the end it was uncontrolled and that was because i was tired as hell, because it`s an insanely hard song to sing...

Maybe i should try something easier Razz
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top