(My humble attempt at) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(My humble attempt at) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John

Post  wabba_treads on Fri May 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi guys, I decided to try and challenge myself and try this classic after a kickass training session.

Thanks for listening and any comments appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/wabba_treads420/goodbye-yellow-brick-road
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (My humble attempt at) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John

Post  bradphone on Fri May 23, 2014 12:12 pm

I..... I..... I`m kinda lost for words really...... Eh 
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Fri May 23, 2014 12:14 pm

I'll take that as a compliment  Laughing 
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 pm

bradphone wrote:I..... I..... I`m kinda lost for words really...... Eh 

Seriously though, how can you say that after I wrote a paragraph helping you on your cover  Confused Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished...
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Fri May 23, 2014 12:36 pm

wabba_treads wrote:

Seriously though, how can you say that after I wrote a paragraph helping you on your cover  Confused Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished...

Well, you know man, what can i say... You have a nice timbre, and you really have some potential, but this song isn`t a song that anybody can sing, i think that if you pick something a bit less "Rangy" that you can get a great piece of music out of your vocal cords!
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Fri May 23, 2014 12:40 pm

bradphone wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:

Well, you know man, what can i say... You have a nice timbre, and you really have some potential, but this song isn`t a song that anybody can sing, i think that if you pick something a bit less "Rangy" that you can get a great piece of music out of your vocal cords!

Thank you!  Very Happy 

That's more of what I was looking for. I would rather hear a critique than nothing at all....

It was more a little quiz and workout more for myself for light mixed voice singing that was just done in one take. I just wanted to hear someone elses perspective too, but thanks.
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Fri May 23, 2014 12:41 pm

wabba_treads wrote:
bradphone wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:

Thank you!  Very Happy 

That's more of what I was looking for. I would rather hear a critique than nothing at all....

It was more a little quiz and workout more for myself for light mixed voice singing that was just done in one take. I just wanted to hear someone elses perspective too, but thanks.

Yeah no problem men, i was a bit too harsh, that wasn`t my intention man.
It`s cool that you`re singing with mixed voice, try to experiment with that!!
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Fri May 23, 2014 12:47 pm

bradphone wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:
bradphone wrote:
wabba_treads wrote:

Thank you!  Very Happy 

Yeah no problem men, i was a bit too harsh, that wasn`t my intention man.
It`s cool that you`re singing with mixed voice, try to experiment with that!!

No worries! I wasn't pissed off or anything, it takes a lot for that to happen!  Razz You're totally right though, this song is pretty much sacred ground and is probably the most deceptively hard song to sing. Elton makes it sound easy  Freak 
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Fri May 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Yeah he really does, i tried to sing it as well a few mins ago, i actually use it as a warm up song since it takes usage of 2 registers.

http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t2573-yellow-brick-road-warm-up

Elton John makes it sound like a childs song whils`t it is an insanely hard song to sing really, very nice arrangement aswell.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Sat May 24, 2014 4:55 am

I'll comment both covers:

1) Good sound to your voice, man, you have a unique voice. I really liked the cover overall, but fix some of the falsetto parts as they seem to crack at points. Bonus for relaxed vibrato.

2) Great job, bradphone. That was honestly one of your best covers so far, I never noticed how good your vibrato really is. Try to get a bit more soul into the singing, I feel like you are stretching some of the phrases a bit too much to show the vibrato without feeling the lyrics, but the singing itself was mostly flawless. Keep up this road.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broses on Sat May 24, 2014 5:18 am

Rapport Rapturer wrote:I'll comment both covers:

1) Good sound to your voice, man, you have a unique voice. I really liked the cover overall, but fix some of the falsetto parts as they seem to crack at points. Bonus for relaxed vibrato.

2) Great job, bradphone. That was honestly one of your best covers so far, I never noticed how good your vibrato really is. Try to get a bit more soul into the singing, I feel like you are stretching some of the phrases a bit too much to show the vibrato without feeling the lyrics, but the singing itself was mostly flawless. Keep up this road.

Completely agree with Rapp here on both accounts. That's basically what I'd noticed about Brad as well.

Broses

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wabba_treads on Sat May 24, 2014 6:38 am

Thanks guys so much!

Yeah I think my voice was a little bit worn out from the workout. I probably should have had a little cool down after before trying it. I was trying to mix lower in my range to train my "lighter" style of singing.

I agree about Brads version too! Probably one of my favorite covers I've heard from him (so far) besides Barcelona.

I'm going to try this again after I actually practice that style of singing  Laughing 
wabba_treads
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top