Luther Vandross

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Luther Vandross

Post  Starman on Sun May 18, 2014 6:24 am

Voice Type: Baritone
Vocal Range: F2-F5 (so far)

Significant High Notes:

• F5 (''Never Too Much'', ''For The Sweetness Of Your Love'')
  • E5 (''Never To Much'', ''She's A Super Lady'')
  • E♭5 (''For The Sweetness Of Your Love'')
  • D5 (''Never Too Much'', ''You Stopped Loving Me'', ''Since I Lost My Baby'', ''Forever, For Always, For Love'', ''Til My Baby Comes Home'')
  • C♯5 (''I Wanted Your Love'', ''Superstar/Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)'')
  • C5 (''Sugar And Spice (I Found Me A Girl)'', ''I've Been Working'', ''Since I Lost My Baby'', ''Forever, For Always, For Love'', ''I'll Let You Slide'', ''For The Sweetness Of Your Love'')
  • B4 (''You Stopped Loving Me'', ''Never Too Much'', ''Forever, For Always, For Love'', ''How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye'', ''Superstar/Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)'', ''Til My Baby Comes Home'')
  • B♭4 (''Sugar And Spice (I Found Me A Girl)'', ''I've Been Working'', ''Since I Lost My Baby'', ''I Wanted Your Love'', ''Busy Body'', ''How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye'', ''Superstar/Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)'')
  • A4 (''Never Too Much'', ''Sugar And Spice (I Found Me A Girl''), ''Don't You Know That?'', ''She's A Super Lady'', ''You Stopped Loving Me'', ''A House Is Not A Home'', ''Bad Boy/Having A Party'', ''You’re The Sweetest One'', ''Since I Lost My Baby'', ''Forever, For Always, For Love'', ''Better Love'', ''Promise Me'', ''She Loves Me Back'', ''Once You Know How’’, ''I Wanted Your Love'', ''Busy Body'', ''I'll Let You Slide'', ''Til My Baby Comes Home'')
  • G♯4 (''Promise Me'', ''I've Been Working'', ''I Wanted Your Love'', ''Busy Body'', ''Make Me A Believer'', ''For The Sweetness Of Your Love'', ''Superstar/Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)'')
  • G4 (''Never Too Much'', ''Sugar And Spice (I Found Me A Girl)'', ''Don't You Know That?'', ''I've Been Working'', ''She's A Super Lady'', ''You Stopped Loving Me'', ''A House Is Not A Home'', ''You're The Sweetest One'', ''Since I Lost My Baby'', ''Forever, For Always, For Love'', ''Better Love'', ''She Loves Me Back'', ''Once You Know How'', ''I'll Let You Slide'', ''Make Me A Believer'', ''How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye'')

Significant Low Notes:

• C3 (''You're The Sweetest One'', ''A House Is Not A Home'', ''Don't You Know That'', ''Since I Lost My Baby'', ''Promise Me'', ''I'll Let You Slide'')
  • B2 (''Bad Boy/Having A Party'', ''A House Is Not A Home'', ''Til My Baby Comes Home'')
  • A2 (''You Stopped Loving Me'', ''You’re The Sweetest One’’, ''Since I Lost My Baby’’)
  • G2 (''A House Is Not A Home'', ''She Loves Me Back’’)
  • F2 (‘’She Loves Me Back’’)

Discography:
Never Too Much: Complete
Forever, for Always, for Love: Complete
Busy Body: Complete
The Night I Fell in Love:
Give Me the Reason:
Any Love:
Power of Love:
Never Let Me Go:
Songs:
This Is Christmas:
Your Secret Love:
I Know:
Luther Vandross:
Dance with My Father:

I hope this is ok for now. Hope This is simply a template from the first 3 albums and will be added to. I'm still researching his discography, but if anybody has found anything special from his live clips, please let me know. Thanks and hope you like the OP  Thumb up Tiphat Cheers

(Also, G4/G♯4 section necessary? If anybody thinks there should be one, let me know.)

Last edited by Starman on Sun May 25, 2014 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Luther Vandross

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Sun May 18, 2014 7:07 am

Is he a tenor? It's an interesting subject, as he has been called both a baritone and a tenor by a lot of people. I've always considered him a 'high' baritone myself, but would love to hear your opinions.

G4-A4 section is necessary for 99% of the male vocalists, imo. It's such a critical area when it comes to the higher singing quality that it should be a norm for most of the male singers out there.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 am

I'd actually agree with a Baritone classification myself, dare I say it even calling him a baritenor seems suitable.

Awesome will add one in so Smile
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 am

I'd go with baritenor (although he's got a lot of weight to his voice).

Those lows are strong!
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/Gregsynth?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun May 25, 2014 9:35 am

I agree, his voice is so heavy and weighed down. His high notes are pretty effortless though. I could totally agree with a Baritenor VT, he's got a baritone weight to his voice.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Starman on Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 am

Also, i'll never understand why people who make these range videos rarely to never include the song titles along with the timestamps... Annoying as fuck if the singer hits a SHN/SLN and they haven't even sung any lyrics to Google to get the song title.
Starman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LUZERN on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:14 pm

In my mind, Luther has wide chest vocal range with greatest G4-A4

He hits great A#4s C#5s and D#5 in "This is Christmas"

LUZERN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zander on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:37 am

No notes from "Here and Now"?

Zander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:42 am

All I can think of when I hear LV's name, is Jamie Fox singing, in Slow Jams. Inb4 queenfan saying that rap isn't real music.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top