Jeff Buckley - Yard of Blonde Girls (cover)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jeff Buckley - Yard of Blonde Girls (cover)

Post  kkatsu on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie here and this is my first post.

I want your honest opinions about my singing voice. I've been told I have a nice tone but I need to lighten up more/be more expressive when I sing. I just want to know how I could improve my singing. I already know that I have an alto voice type and somewhat limited vocal range (a few notes below and above middle C). Should I try to expand the range or keep working on/with my limited range? For me, it's less comfortable reaching higher notes than lower notes - life-long problem with allergies/sinusitis and acid reflux.

Thanks in advance!

https://soundcloud.com/kopikatsu/yard-of-blonde-girls-cover

kkatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jeff Buckley - Yard of Blonde Girls (cover)

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:50 pm

you have a lovely tone but its quivery and unsure. im guessing youre singing very quietly into the mic? you need to work on your breath control to make your voice more steady. also try to master what you have first before you try to expand, that way youll have less to worry about when expansion time is nigh

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kkatsu on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. It means a lot.

I set my Zoom mic to pick up about 25+dB of noise in the room and then sang directly to it (in a half singing/speaking tone). So, that's probably why it makes it sound even more quiet adding to my already quiet voice. Yeah, guess I should work on whatever I have first, adding more power/control/emotions, etc., to it and apply better techniques so not to hurt my voice. Any songs/genres you would suggest that I do? (Obviously, Jeff Buckley numbers shouldn't even be attempted if I haven't expanded my range). My comfortable range at the moment would be between E3-B4/C5. I can do a few high notes above my range but they always sound thin.

kkatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:39 pm

most anything by colin blunstone. some early yes songs like yesterday and today which dont require too much power. maybe simon nd garfunkel if you sing the higher harmony. idk what else, what do u like?

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kkatsu on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 am

The Yes song you suggested sounds really nice. I probably could do something with it. What do you think about doing the oldies like The Carpenters' Superstar? Would that be out of my range?

kkatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:11 am

ill listen to it after class but i will tell you Close To You by the carpenters might be well within your range (except maybe for the break somewhere in the middle)

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 am

just listened to superstar, youd prob have an easier time with that one although it gets kinda low. close to you is a better song tho

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kkatsu on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:36 am

Yes, there are some notes that are really low like the parts 'it sounds so sweet and clear' and 'I really do' but I don't think I'd struggle as much as the high notes in the bridge of Close To You. I'll be looking up Simon and Garfunkel. I've heard of them but I've never really listened closely to their music.

For my voice type, should I go for songs by predominantly male artists and keep singing them in my tone and range or are there other female singers that have a voice similar to Karen Carpenter's? (I'm talking about voice type, not range).

kkatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:59 am

this is one of my fav S&G songs

it would fit your voice nicely i think, it doesn't go terribly high.

Also i know next to nothing about female singers that don't sing high often and with power. but that shouldn't stop you from looking. you might like this one, i can sing it anyway so it's not really high or low for that matter.

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 am

mostly just sing what feels good man, all i can do is give suggestions but the rest is up to you.

one more

tim is god  In Love 

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kkatsu on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:43 am

Haha I like your suggestions so far, but as for Tim Buckley, don't you think he happens to have the same wide range as his son? (Besides them looking and sounding uncannily similar to each other). Such a soulful singer indeed, I don't think I will do Tim's 'soul' justice.

The only song I ever attempted by him though was Song To The Siren.

kkatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:46 am

not really, jeffs voice was lighter and i never understand how people think they sound alike. plus tim is wayyy more complete as a vocalist and musician than his son.

i agree about the soul though, its why hes one of my fav singers  God bless USA 

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kkatsu on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:56 am

To me they sound alike especially in the speaking tone. They just sing differently in style. I read that an actor/singer who's going to play Jeff in a biopic describes Jeff's singing as more air than muscles so I think I know what you mean (I haven't developed that a good pair of musical ears yet so.... any 'good' singer would still amaze me).

Tim had a much longer music career, accomplished more as a songwriter and died even younger, so I think he kinda won? lol

They're both great imho.

kkatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 am

kkatsu wrote:To me they sound alike especially in the speaking tone. They just sing differently in style. I read that an actor/singer who's going to play Jeff in a biopic describes Jeff's singing as more air than muscles so I think I know what you mean (I haven't developed that a good pair of musical ears yet so.... any 'good' singer would still amaze me).

see to me its more than the styles, its everything. the way they phrase, choice of tones, enunciation...everything is different in my ears. just compare jeffs live performance of 'sefronia after asklepiades, after kafka' to tims original studio. theres no audible similarity in my opinion even though jeffs practically doing karaoke

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kkatsu on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 am

If you're talking about early Jeff Buckley prior to the café days, yeah, his singing voice/style hadn't developed much, but the range was there. It must've shown in the Tim tribute concert recordings and his early demo(s) how amateurish he sounded + nervous speaking tone, etc.

Funny speculation about Jeff's singing like he's doing karaoke to Tim's songs  Laughing 

I understand where you're coming from and why artists like Patti Smith and Liz Fraser would talk so highly of Tim as an artist/vocalist.

kkatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:41 am

i never meant to put jeff down, hes a great artist. im just trying tospecify the massive differences between him and his father

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kkatsu on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:46 am

Haha, ok. All cool. As I said, they're both great so that's what we agree on.

kkatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:03 am

Handshake 

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top