View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rod Tyler

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:48 am

Controlled vocal range: E2-C6
Melodic range: B♭2-C6

Controlled high notes:
C6 ("Taunting the Notorious" demo)
E5 ("Masquerade")
E♭5 ("Disillusioned", "Rapture or Pain" demo, "Taunting the Notorious" demo)
D5 ("Absinthe and Rue", "A Lesson Before Dying", "A Winter's Dream - The Ascension" demo, "Dance Macabre", "Disillusioned", "Masquerade", "Premonition", "Rapture or Pain", "Taunting the Notorious", "Thorns of Sorrow", "The Raging Season")
C♯5 ("A Winter's Dream - The Ascension" demo, "Disillusioned", "Rapture or Pain" demo, "Shades of Grey", "Taunting the Notorious" demo)
C5 ("A Lesson Before Dying", "A Winter's Dream - The Ascension" demo, "Dance Macabre", "Disillusioned", "Masquerade", "Rapture or Pain", "Shades of Grey", "Taunting the Notorious", "Thorns of Sorrow", "The Raging Season")
B4 ("Absinthe and Rue", "A Lesson Before Dying", "Dance Macabre", "Disillusioned", "Masquerade", "Premonition", "Rapture or Pain", "Shades of Grey", "Taunting the Notorious", "The Raging Season")
B♭4 ("A Winter's Dream - The Ascension" demo, "Masquerade", "Premonition", "Rapture or Pain", "Shades of Grey")

Controlled low notes:
F3 ("Dance Macabre", "Rapture or Pain" demo)
E3 ("Rapture or Pain")
E♭3 ("Rapture or Pain" demo)
D3 ("Rapture or Pain")
C♯3 ("Rapture or Pain" demo)
B♭2 ("A Lesson Before Dying")
G♯2 ("Dance Macabre")
E2 ("Dance Macabre")

*Purple marks notes in backing vocals.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.

The original singer for Symphony X, who sang on their self-titled debut album and a couple demos before being replaced by Russell Allen. Apparently since then he's gone on to join some group called Overlorde, but I haven't made it as far as checking their stuff yet. His album with Symphony X is great, though; the music is basically really Queen-esque power metal. His voice is considerably higher and lighter than Russell's (probably would be considered a lyric tenor in the classical world), but their tessituras are actually remarkably similar - they both sing effortless melodies up to D5ish in just about every song while still hardly ever going above that, and they both avoid low singing almost exclusively (unsurprisingly). The one outstanding difference is that at the beginning of the demo version of "Taunting the Notorious", Rod randomly does a balls-out scream and hits a piercing C6 (though it might actually be a B5; I'm not sure if the demo runs a semitone too fast or if they just played that song a half step higher originally), something that Russell sure as hell never did. Other than that, though, he's pretty reserved with how he uses his range, never really pushing his comfort limit or anything from the sounds of it. His timbre reminds me a bit of guys like Mark Boals and Ski - that is to say, not a complete no-nut voice, but prominently higher than your average male voice and with this unique "boyish" quality to it. I also think I hear some similarities to early James LaBrie in his singing, though Rod's much less breathy in his style. Pretty solid singer as a whole; definitely worth a listen in my opinion.

Last edited by Wanderlust on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rod Tyler

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:13 am

For anyone who'd be interested (i.e. Garric) or anyone who has a good ear for this sort of stuff (i.e. Todd), I'd like some second opinions on whether of not the Dance Macabre demo runs at the right tape speed. Here's a link where you can listen to the whole thing. The reason I have suspicions about it is because the demos of "Taunting the Notorious" and "Rapture or Pain" on it are both in higher keys than the studio versions. However, there's also an alternate version of "Taunting the Notorious" called "Disillusioned" on this bootleg compilation that's played in the same key as the demo, and everything else on the bootleg appears to run at the right tape speed. So yeah, I'm unsure...but if they're all the wrong tape speed, then I guess it's goodbye for Rod's E♭5s.

I'm also a little iffy on the pitches of the second octave notes cause they're a bit growly, so if anyone wants to check those, they're at 1:36 and 2:34 in "Dance Macabre" in the first link.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 am

Links aren't working for me...
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down