Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Also known as: Fiery G. Maelstrom, G. Wolf, Trickster G. Rex, God Head

Voice type: Baritone
Vocal range: C2-F♯5

Significant high notes:

• F♯5 ("Ad Absurdum")
  • F5 ("Nightmare Heaven")
  • E5 ("Ad Absurdum", "Collapse Generation", "Radical Cut", "Starcrossed", "Wonderworld")
  • E♭5 ("Christmas", "Dressed in Black", "It is Not Sound")
  • D5 ("Baby Blue", "It Hurts", "Nightmare Heaven", "Watergate", "Wonderworld")
  • C♯5 ("Collapse Generation", "For to End Yet Again", "Homecoming", "Kiss from a Rose", "Skin Flick", "Wintry Grey")
  • C5 ("Christmas", "The Goat")
  • B4 ("Baby Blue", "Endings and Continuations", "In the Past", "It Hurts", "It is Not Sound", "Kiss from a Rose", "Nowhere/Catastrophe", "Rapid Eye Movement", "Seven", "Watergate")
  • B♭4 ("It is Not Sound")
  • A4 ("Collapse Generation", "Homecoming", "I Need My Love", "Kiss from a Rose", "Nightmare Heaven", "Rapid Eye Movement", "Skin Flick", "Starcrossed", "Watergate", "Wonderworld")
  • G♯4 ("Christmas", "Endings and Continuations", "For to End Yet Again", "It Hurts", "It is Not Sound", "Let the Children Go", "Son of Man")
  • G4 ("Baby Blue", "Christmas", "Eternal Return", "Let the Children Go", "Mother of Mercy", "Norwegian Gothic", "Nowhere/Catastrophe", "Shadows of the Sun", "Son of Man", "Vigil")
  • F♯4 ("A Life All Mine", "For to End Yet Again", "Homecoming", "I Need My Love", "In the Past", "Kiss from a Rose", "Proverbs of Hell, Plates 7-10", "Rapid Eye Movement", "Seven", "Skin Flick", "Wonderworld")
  • F4 ("Norwegian Gothic", "Plates 21-22", "Solitude", "The Winterway")
  • E4 ("Eternal Return", "It Hurts", "Mother of Mercy", "Shadows of the Sun", "Son of Man", "The Dawn of the End", "The Eye of Oden", "The Winterway", "Watergate")

Significant low notes:

• B2 ("Baby Blue", "I Need My Love", "Kiss from a Rose", "Mother of Mercy", "Rapid Eye Movement")
  • B♭2 ("A Life All Mine")
  • A2 ("Baby Blue", "Master of Disguise", "Norwegian Gothic", "Proverbs of Hell, Plates 7-10", "The Winterway")
  • G♯2 ("A Life All Mine", "A Memorable Fancy, Plates 22-24", "Dressed in Black", "Funebre", "Vigil")
  • G2 ("All the Love", "Eos", "Eternal Return", "Like Music", "Master of Disguise", "Proverbs of Hell, Plates 7-10", "The Dawn of the End")
  • F♯2 ("Homecoming", "It Hurts", "Kiss from a Rose", "Mother of Mercy", "Nowhere/Catastrophe", "Seven", "Shadows of the Sun", "Wintry Grey")
  • F2 ("All the Love", "Let the Children Go", "Like Music", "Norwegian Gothic", "Solitude", "Son of Man", "What Happened?")
  • E2 ("Ad Absurdum", "Baby Blue", "Eternal Return", "For to End Yet Again", "It Hurts", "Nowhere/Catastrophe", "Shadows of the Sun", "Wonderworld")
  • E♭2 ("Eos", "Funebre", "Let the Children Go", "Ord", "Son of Man", "Vigil")
  • D2 ("Solitude")
  • C2 ("Like Music")

Been wanting to make this thread for a while. Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg is one of my favorite musicians to come out of the Norwegian black metal scene, and has proved himself to be a very versatile producer, musician, and vocalist. Known for his unique, clean voice he is quite skilled at blending his chest voice sound with his falsetto sound leading to some interesting, almost ICS Vortex type vocal harmonies. He also has a strong belt showcased in his upper 4th octave and quite a good low register as well which is quite dominant in his softer material, but also making frequent appearances in some of his more avant garde flavored material like with Arcturus. His most known bands include the aforementioned Arcturus, Ulver, Borknagar, and Head Control System. Throughout his career he's done everything from raw black metal to electronica to ambient to gothic rock and many other styles.
*Purple marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise obscured in the song mix.
*Green marks notably distorted and/or screamed notes.
*Blue marks clear, disconnected falsetto notes.
*Italics marks notes non-melodic notes.

Last edited by Zedd Squared on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 8 times in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg

Post  Chiliholic on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Awesome thread! I've always liked his unique voice.
Chiliholic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:17 am

Yeah he's got a very soothing voice overall I'd say, even on the heavier material.

Do you guys think the D2s at 5:34 here are Garm? He's credited as doing all the clean vocals on it but I could almost buy Shagrath as doing it as well.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiliholic on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:07 pm

It's difficult to say judging just by the voice. If he's credited then it probably is him. I'm not sure if Shagrath has the ability to sing cleans in general.
Chiliholic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top