Neil Turbin

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Neil Turbin

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Controlled vocal range: E♭3-B5
Lead vocal range: E3-B5

Controlled high notes:
B5 ("Death from Above", "Howling Furies" demo)
A5 ("Death from Above", "Deathrider", "Metal Thrashing Mad")
G♯5 ("Panic")
G5 ("Anthrax", "Death from Above", "Deathrider", "Howling Furies", "I'm Eighteen", "Metal Thrashing Mad", "Soldiers of Metal")
F♯5 ("Boys Run Wild", "Crucifixion", "Death from Above", "Highway Star", "I'm Eighteen", "Metal Thrashing Mad", "Soldiers of Metal", "Subjugator")
F5 ("Anthrax", "Deathrider", "Soldiers of Metal")
E5 ("Anthrax", "Boys Run Wild", "Crossfire", "Death from Above", "Deathrider", "Howling Furies", "I'm Eighteen", "Metal Thrashing Mad", "Panic", "Soldiers of Metal", "Subjugator")
E♭5 ("Come Again", "Crucifixion", "Power of Desire")
D5 ("Deathrider", "Soldiers of Metal")
C♯5 ("Anthrax", "Crossfire", "Crucifixion", "Death from Above", "Subjugator")
C5 ("Anthrax", "Deathrider", "Metal Thrashing Mad")
B4 ("I'm Eighteen", "Howling Furies", "Soldiers of Metal")

Controlled low notes:
E3 ("Crossfire")
E♭3 ("Crucifixion")

*Purple marks notes in backing vocals.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.

The original singer for Anthrax before Joey Belladonna, and he's by far one of the most insane screamers I've ever heard. I literally haven't come across a single recording by him where he doesn't go up to at least E5, and most of his Anthrax recordings seem to go even higher at some point or other. His singing itself is pretty okay most of the time (as long as you stay away from "Deathrider"), but it seems like he put far less effort into that than he did into developing his screaming style, so he usually just employs that as the standout feature of most of his songs. Though I wouldn't exactly describe him as a tasteful singer, his technical abilities were pretty damn ridiculous...in fact, in a lot of ways he actually reminds me of Eric Adams. His support in particular pretty incredible (nice twelve second E5 at the end of "Subjugator", for one)...I mean hell, even when Joey Belladonna was at his prime, he ended up eschewing certain notes when singing Turbin's songs with Anthrax. Unfortunately, I haven't heard a single low note by him so far, but I know he went on to front a band called the Deathriders after his one album with Anthrax (and put out a solo album, from the looks of it?), so maybe there's something to be found there. When he's not screaming his ass off, his voice is actually pretty baritonish, so hopefully he has some lows hidden away somewhere.

Last edited by Wanderlust on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Neil Turbin

Post  Bassman on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Thank you for making this thread Very Happy 

I actually forgot about this guy since he only sang on one Anthrax album but man, I now remember how insane this guy is as a vocalist. Don't know if the notes are right since I haven't listened to the 1st album in a while, but I'd happily check them for you this afternoon.

Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Go for it. I notewatched the entire album earlier today and was taking notes in the page for this thread while doing so, then literally just after I finished the last song, Firefox crashed and I lost everything I had typed up. I think my memory was mostly accurate for what I ended up retyping, but I may have missed a note here or there.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bassman on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:37 am

Hey, I listened to the album and turns out, you have a damn good memory. Most notes were right, except for a few.

I didn't hear:
E5 in "Deathrider"
D5 in "I'm Eighteen"
F5 in "Soldiers Of Metal"
G5 in the background of "Anthrax"
and no B5 in "Howling Furies" demo, unless you listened another demo.

Furthermore, some significant notes I heard that aren't in the OP:
G5 in "I'm Eighteen"
F♯5"s and an A5 in "Death From Above"
and A5 in the "Howling Furies" demo.

It could be that I just missed the notes I didn't hear, though this is what I heard and I tried my best to check all the notes you listed in the OP.

Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:08 am

Could somebody link me a sample or two of his coolest screaming?
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_doktor on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:16 am

Rapport Rapturer wrote:Could somebody link me a sample or two of his coolest screaming?

The entire song is like an awesome scream! Love this guy, i wish he stayed in Anthrax. Although Belladonna had a more "pleasant" voice, Turbin had a fuck-a-load of attitude.
Mr_doktor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:12 am

Wow, I totally hear the Eric Adams vibe. Wicked screams!

Ain't that one hell of a tasteless album cover, though? Laughing
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bassman on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:15 am

Rapport Rapturer wrote:Wow, I totally hear the Eric Adams vibe. Wicked screams!

Ain't that one hell of a tasteless album cover, though? Laughing
Yeah, the album art could've been better. It's one hell of a thrash metal album though. One of my favorites actually. Back when Anthrax was a more raw and agressive.

Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:34 am

"Crossfire" has few light E3s, plus tons of amazing C#5s along with an E5.

Listening to his recent performances, dude's still got a powerful voice with both range and some added 'meat' on top. Nails songs like "Neon Knights" rather easily.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:43 am

0:05 - Not his greatest moment! Laughing

PS: a great F#5 during a live cover of "Highway Star" played quite recently. Eb5s on "Power of Desire" and "Come Again". E5s and two wicked F#5s on "Boys Run Wild". I'd definitely describe Neil as a dramatic tenor judging by these performances: he's got some manliness to his voice, but he really lets his belting out with Bad Applz without any discomfort or effort, especially on "Come Again". (The lyrics rip off "Mistreated" quite blatantly in the most glam metal way possible) Amazing voice, I'm glad you shared him to us!
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_doktor on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 am

Too bad he was forever doomed to wander in metal obscurity.
Mr_doktor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am

Bassman wrote:Hey, I listened to the album and turns out, you have a damn good memory. Most notes were right, except for a few.

I didn't hear:
E5 in "Deathrider"
Spoiler:

I hear a pretty clear one at 0:31 and a short one at 2:27, unless you were counting those as F5s. They sound a bit sharp to me, but E5 was clearly the intended note.
Bassman wrote:D5 in "I' m Eighteen"
Spoiler:

Hm...this one you might be right about. I was originally hearing a short D5 during the line at 0:41, but in retrospect I think it's more of an E5 or something. Not one of his more impressive high notes either, so probably not worth bothering either way.
Bassman wrote:F5 in "Soldiers Of Metal"
Spoiler:

It's during the penultimate key change, at 2:22. They sound kinda sharp in retrospect, though...were you hearing them as F♯5s or something?
Bassman wrote:G5 in the background of "Anthrax"
Spoiler:

1:53 here. Pretty noticeable, though sounds like there's some overtones in that harmony, so that might've been what threw you off.
Bassman wrote:and no B5 in "Howling Furies" demo, unless you listened another demo.
Spoiler:

Must've been another one, cause he definitely hits a B5 at 3:02 here:
Bassman wrote:Furthermore, some significant notes I heard that aren't in the OP:
G5 in "I'm Eighteen"
F♯5"s and an A5 in "Death From Above"
and A5 in the "Howling Furies" demo.
Good catch on the G5 in "I'm Eighteen" and the F♯5s in "Death from Above"! I definitely forgot about those ones, but I didn't bother listing the A5 from "Death from Above" because it's in the same passage as the B5. Then again, I've probably listed two notes from the same passage for other songs in this list, so meh. I heard no A5 in the demo of "Howling Furies" that I checked, though, so maybe we're indeed talking about different versions.
Bassman wrote:
Rapport Rapturer wrote:Wow, I totally hear the Eric Adams vibe. Wicked screams!

Ain't that one hell of a tasteless album cover, though? Laughing 
Yeah, the album art could've been better. It's one hell of a thrash metal album though. One of my favorites actually. Back when Anthrax was a more raw and agressive.
Yeah, it's probably my third favourite Anthrax album as a whole, after Spreading the Disease and Persistence of Time. The addition of Joey and Frank Bello to the band definitely improved their overall sound on later albums, but Fistful of Metal is just fantastically raw. Great guitar work on it too - I've always loved the harmonized solo between Dan Spitz and Scott Ian on "Panic".
Rapport Rapturer wrote:"Crossfire" has few light E3s, plus tons of amazing C#5s along with an E5.
Awesome, feel free to update the thread with your own finds as you go along. I'm glad we managed to find at least an E3 by him too, cause having F♯3 as his lowest note was just kinda sad.
Rapport Rapturer wrote:
Spoiler:

0:05 - Not his greatest moment! Laughing
LOL
Rapport Rapturer wrote:I'd definitely describe Neil as a dramatic tenor judging by these performances: he's got some manliness to his voice, but he really lets his belting out with Bad Applz without any discomfort or effort, especially on "Come Again".
Hm, really? Judging by his vocals on Fistful of Metal, I always thought of him as a baritone with a really well-developed screaming range, again akin to Eric Adams. Cause his tone in the fourth octave sounds pretty heavy from what I've heard, though he's quite effortless up to B4. I remember I once saw someone say that they actually thought he was the best singer Anthrax ever had, because he was the only singer who'd actually be able to do justice to material from all three of their different "eras". Though I obviously prefer Joey as a singer, I actually agree with that reasoning. Joey's voice isn't gruff or aggressive enough to pull off Bushthrax songs (though I don't think they've ever played any Bush era songs with him besides "Only"), and you can hear on The Greater of Two Evils how out of place Bush sounds singing classic Joey-era material - even though his high range is actually pretty formidable, he ends up eschewing a lot of the signature high notes, and as a whole just lacks the vocal lightness/cleanness that those songs were meant to be sung with. Turbin lands somewhere in the middle ground, as he definitely has the tessitura and control to pull off Joey's songs, but also has the weight and harshness that would be appropriate for any of Bush's.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:15 am

I totally agree with your assesment, but it seems like he's singing in his 'more natural voice' with the glam metal group Bad Applz. The early stuff is indeed very Adams-like, and his tone seems gruffer there. 

We should listen to his solo album and other recent work, though! Those would probably help us understand his vocal evolution more, seeing how he stated in an interview that he's only recently started to appreciate songwriting more, giving a shot at experimentation once in a while as well and focusing more on the feel of the vocals, "instead of just screaming his ass off".
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bassman on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Wanderlust wrote:I hear a pretty clear one at 0:31 and a short one at 2:27, unless you were counting those as F5s. They sound a bit sharp to me, but E5 was clearly the intended note.
Oh yeah, I hear it now! How could I have missed that note?  Facepalm 

Wanderlust wrote:It's during the penultimate key change, at 2:22. They sound kinda sharp in retrospect, though...were you hearing them as F♯5s or something?
I don't remember. I probably heard them as F#5's, yeah. I do hear them as F5's now though.

Wanderlust wrote:1:53 here. Pretty noticeable, though sounds like there's some overtones in that harmony, so that might've been what threw you off.
That's odd, I can now hear that G5 clearly, yet the other day I searched for it I couldn't find it for the life of me. Eh, I was never good at harmonies anyway.

Wanderlust wrote:Must've been another one, cause he definitely hits a B5 at 3:02 here:
Yeah, I listened another version.

In total it seems you only made one mistake regarding notes. You have a very impressive memory, I wish I had such a good memory regarding notes  Razz

Bassman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  derpdederp91 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:59 am

The guy's got plenty of recent live performances that should be checked out for notewatching (I think he covered Highway Star and Burn for Deep Purple and I remember him doing Neon Knights and Screaming For Vengeance too among alot of other live performances)

derpdederp91

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:09 am

Maybe one of them will have a

C6 Devil 
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Neil Turbin Crucifixation

Post  vocalpower on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:10 am

Neil Turbin singing in the soprano C6 range

Last edited by vocalpower on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

vocalpower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Neil Turbin Deep Purple Burn live with Michael Angelo Batio

Post  vocalpower on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 am

Neil Turbin live at Guitar Center Clinic with Michael Angelo Batio Deep Purple Burn

vocalpower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 am

vocalpower wrote:Neil Turbin singing in the soprano C6 range
Nothing in the C6 range that I heard, but lots of E♭5s and a few F♯5s, and if the backing vocals on the chorus are Turbin too, those get down to E♭3 so woohoo possible new lowest note. Cheers 

I also hear what Timi means about him sounding less gruff and heavy after Anthrax, cause he sounds a lot more 'baritenorish' in this song. His tone in it actually reminds me a lot of Joe Lynn Turner and John West.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 am

Good comparison, I hear a bit of the West/Turner!
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  colin040 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:11 am

Fantastic singer although I should admit I'm only familiar with his work on Anthrax's Fistful of Metal, I really adore his singing there. So over the top and wild.

What does his others bands/projects sound like, though?
colin040

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:34 am

Good to see a thread for him, listening back to him, he's a better singer than I had thought back when I first heard him, but his crazy screams always stood out. I prefer Joey's voice, but I like the extra grit in Neil's voice.

Wanderlust wrote:
Yeah, it's probably my third favourite Anthrax album as a whole, after Spreading the Disease and Persistence of Time. The addition of Joey and Frank Bello to the band definitely improved their overall sound on later albums, but Fistful of Metal is just fantastically raw. Great guitar work on it too - I've always loved the harmonized solo between Dan Spitz and Scott Ian on "Panic".

Not sure where it ranks for me, but a really good album, and pretty consistently good throughout with some really good songs like Deathrider, Anthrax, Death From Above, Panic ect. and of course, Metal Thrashing Mad, though I prefer Joey's version. Always liked those raw, early thrash albums from around '83-'85. "Spreading The Disease" and "Persistence Of Time" have actually always been my top 2 as well with "Spreading The Disease" my clear number 1. Good to see others who don't buy "Among The Living" as their best. Nothing against that album, but it's one of those examples I find strange when it becomes the band's supposed classic when imo, they've clearly done better.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Neil Turbin Heavy Metal Screams!

Post  vocalpower on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Neil Turbin Heavy Metal Screams!

vocalpower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Neil Turbin Best of: High Pitched Metal Screams

Post  vocalpower on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:15 pm