Joe South (Joseph Alfred Souter)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Joe South (Joseph Alfred Souter)

Post  Alex on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:18 am

Voice Type: Baritone
Vocal Range: C2-E5

Significant High Notes:
F♯5 (The Purple People Eater Meets The Witch Doctor)
E5 ("Will the Real You Please Stand Up"
D♯5("Tell The Truth)
D5 ("Don't You Be Ashamed", "South Georgia Pines")
C♯5 ("Hush", "Mirror Of Your Mind", "Hole In Your Soul")
C5 ("Untie Me", "Will the Real You Please Stand Up", "Let The Party Roll On", "Tell The Truth","Gabriel","Chills", "Little Queenie", "Backfield In Motion")
B4 ("I'm a Star")
Bb4 ("Untie Me", "Tell The Truth", "Gabriel")
A4 ("Walk a Mile in My Shoes", "Mirror Of Your Mind", "Midnight Rainbow (It Got Away)", "So Fine", "Silly Little Girl", "Let The Party Roll On", "Chills", "Little Queenie", "Backfield in Motion", "Royal Blue", "Shelter")
A♭4 ("Hush","All My Hard Times", "Gabriel", "Hole In Your Soul", "Royal Blue")
G4("These Are Not My People", "Untie Me", "All My Hard Times", "The Greatest Love", "High On A Hilltop", "So Fine", "Will the Real You Please Stand Up", "Let The Party Roll On", "I'm Snowed", "Gabriel", "Don't You Be Ashamed", "Little Queenie", "You Need Me", "Before It's Too Late")
F♯4 ("Games People Play", "Down in the Boondocks", "Walk a Mile in my Shoes", "I Got To Be Somebody", "Mirror Of Your Mind", "The Greatest Love", "All My Hard Times", "Midnight Rainbow (It Got Away), "Home And Homesick", "Deep Inside Me", "I Gotta Be Somebody", "Hidin' Place", "Chills", "Let's Talk It Over", "Gabriel", "Clock Up On The Wall", "Don't You Be Ashamed", "South Georgia Pines", "You Need Me", "Bittersweet", "Shelter", "Leanin' on You")
F4 ("Untie Me", "Children", "I'm Sorry For You", "Suite For Mary", "All My Hard Times", "Silly Little Girl", "I'm Snowed", "Tell The Truth", "United We Stand", "Lady Moon Walker", "Jack Daniels On The Line", "River Dog")
E4 ("Rose Garden", "Down in the Boondocks", "Games People Play", "Children", "Birds of a Feather", "Oprah Cried", "So Fine", "Will the Real You Please Stand Up", "I Gotta Be Somebody", "Hidin' Place", "Let The Party Roll On", "My Fondest Memories", "Chills", "Let's Talk It Over", "Clock Up On The Wall", "Backfield In Motion", "Midnight Rainbows", "God Forgave Me", "Bittersweet")

Significant Low Notes:
B2 ("Untie Me", "Birds of a Feather", "I'm Snowed", "Clock Up On The Wall")
A2 ("Oprah Cried", "You're The Reason", "I'm Sorry For You", "Will the Real You Please Stand Up", "It's Only You", "What a Night", "Midnight Rainbows")
G♯2 ("Royal Blue")
G2 ("Don't It Make You Want to Go Home", "The Greatest Love", "Home And Homesick", "Masquerade", "My Fondest Memories", "Play It Cool", "Little Bluebird", "Formality", "Gabriel", "South Georgia Pines", "To Have, To Hold and Let Go", "God Forgave Me")
F♯2("Games People Play", "Children", "Oprah Cried", "One Fool To Another", "Little Bluebird", "I'm a Star", "Just Remember You're Mine", "Don't It Make You Want To Go Home (Live))")
F2 ("You're The Reason", "Midnight Rainbow (It Got Away)", "High On A Hilltop", "Just Remember You're Mine", "Jack Daniels On The Line", "Don't It Make You Wanna Go Home (Live)")
E2 ("Tell The Truth", "Formality")
D♯2("Formality")
D2 ("Oprah Cried")
C2 ("Masquerade", "Texas Ain't The Biggest Anymore")

Italics mark non sung notes
Blue marks soft falsetto

Joe South is a very warm, deep and soulful baritone with some really powerful highs.

South wrote a bunch of hits for artists like Elvis, Deep Purple, Billy Joe Royal, Lynn Anderson, The Tams, Aretha Franklin and many others. His only personal hit was "Games People Play", showcasing his great voice. He did record all of his own songs and I dare say that a lot of them sound better than the versions of the stars he wrote them for.

Last edited by AlexTou on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:40 am; edited 92 times in total

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Joe South (Joseph Alfred Souter)

Post  Alex on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:24 am

I need a second opinion on the "Late in the midnight" part. The C#5 is definitely falsetto the first time around (0:55), but very full and well-connected the second time 1:44). The third time (2:11) the entire phrase is non-modal.

Last edited by AlexTou on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timqwe on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:40 am

Very nice for a first thread. We usually use another shade of blue here.
Just type:
Code:
[color=blue]"Hush"[/color]
It will look like this: "Hush"

Also, could you timestamp that note you're talking about?
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timqwe on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:32 am

I would call it non-modal
Timqwe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks. You're right. The darkness of his voice is completely missing there. It's now blue.

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JaredLetoIsBack on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:31 pm

So he hits E4 in almost every song, yet you've only included five?

F#4 and E4 in I Gotta Be Somebody, Bb2 and F2 in You're The Reason iirc? Might even go lower. I think "I'm Sorry For You" has A2s? Mirror of Your Mind has E4 and All My Hard Times has G4s and possibly even A4s. This thread is seriously sloppy. And doesn't The Greatest Love go down to an F#2 or something?

JaredLetoIsBack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:34 am

JaredLetoIsBack wrote:So he hits E4 in almost every song, yet you've only included five?

F#4 and E4 in I Gotta Be Somebody, Bb2 and F2 in You're The Reason iirc? Might even go lower. I think "I'm Sorry For You" has A2s? Mirror of Your Mind has E4 and All My Hard Times has G4s and possibly even A4s. This thread is seriously sloppy. And doesn't The Greatest Love go down to an F#2 or something?

Well I don't think every note is significant enough to put in, but you're right. I even missed two records from the '70s. I'm adding them now.

As for the notes you mention, the E's in Got To Be Somebody aren't very interesting, the F#4's are. I'm adding them.

The note at the end of you're The Reason are F2 and a A2, I'll add them.

I'm Sorry for You does have A2's, as well as a couple of cool F4's, I'll add those too.

Mirror of Your Mind's E4's are boring, bit it has an A4 with a little trill towards C#5, and F#4's in the bridge. Added.

All My Hard Times has a really cool G4, added. No A4.

The Greatest Love goes down to G2, added.

Thanks!

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 am

JaredLetoIsBack wrote:So he hits E4 in almost every song, yet you've only included five?

I also noticed that my latest edit wasn't even processed! I reinstated all my additions.

There's one thing I'm not sure about. In "Tell The Truth", there is a D6 scream at the 1:05 mark, but I'm thinking it's the backing vocalist and not Joe.

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Wow. C5's all over the place.

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JaredLetoIsBack on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Yeah that looks better.

JaredLetoIsBack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:39 am

Thanks, I really think this thread is done now. I've exhausted his entire body of work and haven't found anything new. It was a lot though, this guy was pretty prolific.

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top