View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brendon Small

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Controlled vocal range: E2-F♯5

Controlled high notes:
F♯5 ("Givin' Back to You")
E♭5 ("Givin' Back to You")
D5 ("I'm Just a Rock & Roll Clown")
C5 ("Do It All for My Brother", "Goodbye Snowy Road", "Kill You", "The Depths of Humanity")
B4 ("Some Time Ago...")
B♭4 ("Givin' Back to You", "Goodbye Snowy Road", "Some Time Ago...", "Tracking")
A4 ("Do It All for My Brother", "How Can I Be a Hero?", "Kill You", "Pentuplemint Spearmint Gum", "Saddest Day in the World")
G♯4 ("Do It All for My Brother", "Gotta Get Clean", "How Can I Be a Hero?", "Some Time Ago...", "The Depths of Humanity", "Way to Be Saved")
G4 ("Do It All for My Brother", "En Antris et Stella Fatum Cruenti", "Goodbye Snowy Road", "Gotta Get Clean", "How Can I Be a Hero?", "I'm Just a Rock and Roll Clown", "I'm No Man", "One of Us Must Die", "Partying Around the World", "Saddest Day in the World", "Some Time Ago...", "The Depths of Humanity", "The Duel", "Tracking", "Way to Be Saved")
F♯4 ("En Antris et Stella Fatum Cruenti", "Givin' Back to You", "I'm Just a Rock & Roll Clown", "Partying Around the World", "The Fans Are Chatting")
F4 ("Do It All for My Brother", "One of Us Must Die", "Partying Around the World", "Tracking", "Way to Be Saved")

Controlled low notes:
C3 ("Before You Go", "Danger", "Do It All for My Brother", "En Antris et Stella Fatum Cruenti", "Fata Sidus Oritur", "Givin' Back to You", "How Can I Be a Hero?", "I Believe", "Ishnifus and the Challenge", "Morte Lumina", "Partying Around the World", "Some Time Ago...", "The Answer Is in Your Past", "The Depths of Humanity", "The Duel", "Toki's Cat Song", "Tracking", "Training")
B♭2 ("Death Metal Lullaby", "Ishnifus and the Challenge", "The Crossroads", "Water Horsey Blues")
A2 ("Fata Sidus Oritur", "Kill You", "One of Us Must Die")
G♯2 ("Death Metal Lullaby", "The Duel", "Water Horsey Blues")
G2 ("Before You Go", "Do It All for My Brother", "En Antris et Stella Fatum Cruenti", "Morte Lumina", "Partying Around the World", "Some Time Ago...", "The Crossroads", "The Depths of Humanity", "Tracking", "Water Horsey Blues")
E2 ("En Antris et Stella Fatum Cruenti", "Fata Sidus Oritur", "I'm No Man")

*Purple marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise muffled/obscured in the song mix.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.

The mastermind behind the Metalocalypse series, who also does the voices for the majority of the characters on the show. Crazy talented vocalist, guitarist, and songwriter all around. I have yet to hear him belt higher than A4/B♭4, but judging by his ease on some of those notes, I'm sure he has it in him. His rasp in the fourth octave is absolutely killer...kinda combines the grittiness of someone like James Hetfield with the dramatic delivery of someone like Bruce Dickinson. Also has some pretty strong lows - Doomstar Requiem was littered with G2s all over the place. I know he's recorded other music outside of Dethklok though, and I haven't checked any of that. There's also a handful of other songs from Metalocalypse that feature clean singing that I haven't checked yet either, so I'll keep this updated as I go along.

Last edited by Wanderlust on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brendon Small

Post  Shikkaku on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:40 am

Really talented musician and singer. Did you notewatch all the songs from "The Doomstar Requiem"? He provides the singing voice for most characters, really crazy showcase of diversity!
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Yeah I did - he actually spans his entire range that I've heard so far between voicing Nathan Explosion and Dr. Rockzo in that. He also hits a nice beefy E2 in "Fata Sidus Oritur" while singing as one of the priests. Lowest note in the whole thing is sung by General Crozier, though, who hits a sick C2 in "A Traitor Amongst Them".

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that Brendon voices Murderface in it as well, so looks like I'll have to recheck all the songs that feature him to see what sorts of highs they have!
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:12 pm

How's his vibrato? I hope he's able to pull it off better than McDowell...
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:23 am

It's Brendon Small, not Smalls.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down