Controlled vocal range: G2-G5
Lead vocal range: G2-D5

Controlled high notes:
G5 ("Birds of War")
D5 ("Birds of War", "Nightman" live)
C5 ("Pageant Song")
B4 ("Troll Toll")
B♭4 ("Birds of War")
G♯4 ("It's Nature, Shit Happens" live, "Troll Toll" live)

Controlled low notes:
D3 ("Dayman", Law and Order theme)
C♯3 ("Trash Song")
C3 ("It's Nature, Shit Happens", "On Eagle's Wings")
B2 (Boys II Men harmony, "On Eagle's Wings")
A2 ("It's Nature, Shit Happens")
G2 ("Day Bow Bow", "On Eagle's Wings")

*Purple marks notes sung in harmony or in unison with other characters.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.

Not really much of a singer, but still has a surprisingly wide range. Though he has a pretty tenorish voice, it seems like he's usually the one who does the low parts when the characters from It's Always Sunny harmonize together. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to sing above F4 very often, so if anyone knows anything else that I can add to that section, please let me know.

Last edited by Wanderlust on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:30 pm; edited 8 times in total
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rob McElhenney

Post  Timmerbo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 am

He sings up to B4 on 'hey hey hey!' in the Troll Toll song at :58. Forgive the poor quality video and the person singing along off-key.

Sings the whole song in an uncomfortably low register. A2 at 1:12.

He is a tenor, and his voice goes quite high while speaking. But because he doesn't have the soaring pipes of Glenn or Charlie, he sings the lower part when they harmonize.
Timmerbo

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Timmerbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:58 am

Timmerbo wrote:

He sings up to B4 on 'hey hey hey!' in the Troll Toll song at :58.  Forgive the poor quality video and the person singing along off-key.
Good catch! I guess I never really paid close enough attention to that part of the song, cause I always assumed it was Dennis doing all the highs.
Timmerbo wrote:

Sings the whole song in an uncomfortably low register.  A2 at 1:12.
Oh, so this is his song from The Nightman Cometh. I always wondered what the deal with that was, because I remember at one point in the episode Dee complains about being "the only one who doesn't get a big song", but then you never actually get to hear Mac do a song. His low register doesn't actually sound that uncomfortable to me (though some of the G2s in "On Eagle's Wings" sound a bit weak), but his highs sound a bit unsupported and lacking in confidence to me.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timmerbo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:26 am

Wanderlust wrote:Oh, so this is his song from The Nightman Cometh. I always wondered what the deal with that was, because I remember at one point in the episode Dee complains about being "the only one who doesn't get a big song", but then you never actually get to hear Mac do a song. His low register doesn't actually sound that uncomfortable to me (though some of the G2s in "On Eagle's Wings" sound a bit weak), but his highs sound a bit unsupported and lacking in confidence to me.

I think the entire song is about a step too low in key for comedic effect. When he gets to the 'high notes' at the end he's still singing uncomfortably in his midrange. In the live version he pretty much talks through the whole song.
Timmerbo

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Timmerbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:05 am

It would be pretty fitting for the character to have Mac wanna sing lower than his natural voice to appear more manly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top