Paul Young (Mike + The Mechanics)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paul Young (Mike + The Mechanics)

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:09 am

(Not to be confused with the pop singer of the same name)

Voice Type: Tenor
Vocal Range: B2-E5

Significant High Notes:
E5 - "My Oh My"
C5 - "All I Need Is a Miracle '96", "Nobody's Perfect"
B4 - "All I Need Is a Miracle '96", "Beggar on a Beach of Gold", "My Oh My", "Nobody's Perfect", "Word of Mouth"
A4 - "All I Need Is a Miracle '96", Beggar on a Beach of Gold"
G♯4 - "Word of Mouth"
G4 - "All I Need Is a Miracle '96", "Beggar on a Beach of Gold", "Every Day Hurts", "My Oh My", "Nobody's Perfect"

Significant Low Notes:
C3 - "Every Day Hurts", "My Oh My" "Nobody's Perfect"
B2 - "Every Day Hurts"
A2 - "My Oh My"

Paul Young (1947-2000) was the lead singer for the English pop group Sad Café and, more famously, one of the two lead singers of Mike + The Mechanics, the other being Paul Carrack. Young's voice was more comfortable in the higher range, and he had a rather nice, warm tenor tone. His early stuff with Sad Café was in the style of Mick Jagger, (Check out "My Oh My") but his stuff with M+tM sounds to me like a combination of the other Paul Young and George Michael, and even some Freddie Mercury. (Listen to "Nobody's Perfect")
Young was well respected as a singer, with Mike Rutherford (Founder of Mike + The Mechanics) calling him "one of the best rock voices of his generation" and Fish of Marillion describing him as "one of the finest frontmen and singers from the history of the British music scene."
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paul Young (Mike + The Mechanics)

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:19 am

Good man, nice to see a thread for Paul! His timbre is very George Michael-like, especially on "Word of Mouth".
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:33 am

Yeah man, his timbre is very much like Michael's, just a bit darker. "Word of Mouth" was the performance that got me into him, although I think I'm might like "Nobody's Perfect" better.
And like you said on Skype a while back, he certainly is the better of the two Paul Youngs.  Laughing 
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ah Word of Mouth

Post  myvette49 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:31 am

What a great performance, although I think he'd gone off the height of his powers by that time. There are some pretty high notes in 'Hungry Eyes', certainly the live version on the OGWT with Tom Robinson. Incidentally, is it possible to find the rest of that gig anywhere? Having seen the concert footage from various gigs, some of the MATM stuff is like watching a man drive a Ferrari with a guvnor on it. That voice of his was quite the power house given its head.

God, I miss him.

myvette49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top