ROUND 5: Pepe Forever vs RodrigoMachado

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 5: Pepe Forever vs RodrigoMachado

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:44 pm

This is the thread for the round 5 matchup of RodrigoMachado and Pepe Forever. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 5: Pepe Forever vs RodrigoMachado

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 am

Fast Paced Vocals
Jonas Renkse 3:51-4:23
Brutal stuff from early Katatonia. No wonder why he developed health problems and had to quit growling for life.

Abrupt Vocal Changes
Róisín Murphy - 2:19-3:50
From smooth sultry jazz voice to full blown lungs-out singing, I found the live version to showcase the change better.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:37 pm

-BEST USE OF ABRUPT CHANGES IN VOCAL DELIVERY:

Ville Valo - It's All Tears (live Digital Versatile Doom) (HIM)

How can I not use the absolute master in tone and pitch (a.k.a. range masturbation : x) changes for this category?
"It's All Tears" is already a classic for range wankery and vocal changes, as in live performances he often exploits the already changing nature of the studio version's chorus.
In this one he begins alternating between excellently projected dark lows and his usual nasal delicate approach, making it almost unbeliavable that both sounds are being produced by the same voice. He ventures higher afterwards, first in light head voice, then with a wicked distorted tone, hitting some quite high fifth octave notes.

2:55 to 3:50

-BEST FAST-PACED VOCALS:

Peter Steele - Kill You Tonight (Reprise) (Type O Negative)

Well, think it's a good fit for the category and basically the only one I could use given the characteristics of my singers  Whistle . Here Peter goes on a frenzy hitting basically A4s in every line in a fast paced way leaving quite little room to breath (basically when Kenny Hickey interrupts him in a call-and-response way). Such phrasing and high notes definitely require a good breathing technique to be performed right.

2:10 to 2:32
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kewis on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:12 am

Fast Paced Vocals:

Rodrigo: Great growling/screaming, but not really what I'd call "fast paced", 3/5
Pepe: Fast, impressive singing. Those A4s are very impressive, especially in the way they're done. 4/5

Best use of abrupt changes in vocal delivery:

Rodrigo: Again, the singing is good, but there's barely any variety there, 1.5/5
Pepe: Great showcase of Valo's versatility 4.5/5
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:14 am

Fast paced vocals:
Rodrigo / Jonas Renkse - not to my taste, but a passable example to fit the category. 2.5/5.
Pepe / Peter Steele -  somewhat similar in style, but this one works slightly better for me in combining tempo and style for an edgy mood. 3/5.

Best use of abrupt changes in vocal delivery
Rodrigo / Róisín Murphy - the changes in delivery weren't huge, but contributed well to an enjoyable performance. 3/5.
Pepe / Ville Valo - his dramatic and masterful switches between completely different tones and techniques are pretty hard to beat. 4.5/5.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 am

Abrupt Vocal Changes
Murphy: I really like her tone. Slight change in delivery, but not that much of a switch. 2.5/5
Valo: Gargantuan low melody, to tortured tenor crooning, to raspy belting, just another day in the life of Ville Valo. 4.5/5

Fast Paced Singing
Renkse: Great screaming, though the tone and the echo effect make it hard to follow the rhythm of the vocals. 3/5
Steele: Peter's a good fit for this, considering all the hardcore and hardcore-inspired stuff he did. Impressive control all around. 4/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top