ROUND 4: Vuvuzelabzz vs Whackooyzero

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 4: Vuvuzelabzz vs Whackooyzero

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:43 pm

This is the thread for the round 4 matchup of Vuvuzelabzz and Whackooyzero. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 4: Vuvuzelabzz vs Whackooyzero

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:27 am

Best vibrato: http://picosong.com/eYVg/ (Daniel Tompkins)
Most depressing vocals: http://picosong.com/eYVh/ (Morgan Sorne)

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Best vibrato: I decided to showcase Jeff Scott Soto for this one. While he definitely has examples of vibrato in his higher wailing he's often known for, I chose to go for a more reserved example. This is from a song he did while in Axel Rudi Pell's band called The Eyes of the Lost. He uses some very smooth vibrato throughout this section and mixes in just the right husky rasp to fit in with the chill vibe of the song.

1:55-3:02

Depressing vocals: Goin' with the great Daniel Gildenlow for this category. Here I chose an excerpt from the song Sisters which has as of late become one of Pain of Salvation's best known songs. Daniel uses some embellishments in his phrasing to further the atmosphere but also delivers the song's very memorable melody in quite a depraved, hopeless manner that I think fits the category well.

1:17-2:46

(Picosong links should hopefully be back next week)
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:00 pm

Vibrato

Tompkins- Lovely 4/5
Soto- Wow this was really tasteful and great sounding and excellent good pick 4/5

Depressing

Sorne- Beautiful, heartbreaking 4/5
Gildenlow- This guy never stops impressing, perfect choice 5/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:21 am

Best Vibrato

Tompkins / Vuvu well it was ok i guess 3.5
Soto / Whacko nice again but pretty unsurprising. 3.5

Most Depressing Vocals

Sorne / Vuvu i don't find it depressing at all, it's pretty cool but the only sadness emotion come just from lyrics... 2.5
Gindenlow / Whacko cool stuff, i couldn't get much emotion from it, maybe i'm on a not emotional trance 4
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:51 pm

Best Vibrato
Tompkins: Outstanding ballad singing, ok vibrato. 3/5
Soto: Less outstanding singing, but very nice, polished vibrato. 4/5

Depressing Vocals
Sorne: I'm starting to find myself getting excited whenever I see a Sorne clip. This doesn't sound much different from the rest of the examples I've heard of his singing, but I think that speaks more to the general tone of his music more than anything. I love how it just keeps building and I'm in love with those harmonies; there's a real sense of lost-ness here that is outstanding. 4.5/5
Gildenlow: The delivery on this breaks my heart every time. This particular section might not be everyone's idea of 'depressing,' but it touches on a very real emotion, one that can be very uncomfortable in its veracity, and his delivery is uncomfortable to the point that it becomes beautiful. 5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:14 am

This round got really screwy categories...

Best Vibrato

I don't really know how to judge this category all, since vibrato is something that becomes somewhat a natural part of one's voice - I understand that it can be controlled in different ways, but I think in 90% of the cases, the vibrato used in one's singing is something that comes up in a natural way (even that is something that is trained upon) without the singer even noticing.

Tompkins: Sounds okay I think. I liked the singing and the music of this more, but since we're judging the vibrato, I don't see any differences between the two clips. 3,5/5

Soto: Again, I don't have much to say about this. Sounds relaxed, natural and not forced. 3,5/5

Most Depressing Vocals

First of all, I wanted to say this is a really screwy category. We all tend to perceive sadness/melancholy/younameit on different ways and we get this feelings from different stuff. Judging a clip on this category is really really hard considering how differently we see/hear/feel melancholy. A category for "Most Emotional Vocals" would be way easier to rate, since you can definitely notice when a singer is inserting his emotions on his vocal delivery and when he is not. I don't know really, I think the best I can do on this category is rate the emotional delivery of the singers, so...

Sorne: I'm assuming all the vocals are him again (am I right?). The usage of harmonies here sounds impressive, I'm completely astounded by his technical proficiency, the higher-pitched vocals on unision give the song a really beautiful and angelic sound. I don't find this depressing at all to be honest, but if you judge it from the vocal delivery and overall vibe it sounds impressive and deserve a high score. 4,5/5

Gildenlow: Again, I point how difficult to judge this category. Pain of Salvation is definitely one of my favorite bands of all time, Daniel is one of my favorite singers of all time, and this is one of my favorite POS songs of all time (definitely the best from Road Salt One). The melodies of this song are really beautiful, Dani's performance is (in my humble opinion) the best I've heard from him. I assume you that I already cried more than once to this song, but I can't say this is depressing at all. There is a really intense feeling of lost-ness, solitude and bitterness on Dani's performance (which I again mention that is really impressive) - and if you're aiming to judge the notes by its emotional intensity, this deserves a really high score as well. 4,5/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:52 am

Vibrato
Daniel Tompkins - Nice quiet vibrato - 4/5
Jeff Scott Soto - Amazing, I have nothing to criticize about this - 5/5

Depressing Vocals
Morgan Sorne - Sad and quiet but I wouldn't say it's really sad, much less depressive - 3.5/5
Daniel Gildenlow - Very emotional - 4.5/5

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:40 am

Shikkaku wrote: but I can't say this is depressing at all. There is a really intense feeling of lost-ness, solitude and bitterness on Dani's performance

I'd be interested to know what your impression of "depressing" is then  Surprised 
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:06 am

Shikkaku wrote:
Sorne: I'm assuming all the vocals are him again (am I right?).

Yep.

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:02 am

Most depressing vocals:

Sorne: Whether it's depressing I don't know, but it does fit the general mood I was expecting. Good. 4/5

Gildenlöw: Quite emotional.  4.5/5

Best vibrato:

Tompkins: Good, but not outstanding. 3.5/5

Soto: I like Soto's vibrato quite a bit more, but I might be biased as I'm generally very fond of his voice. Technically not miles better than the other guy. 4/5
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Best Vibrato:
Vuvu/Tompkins - You always impress me with your taste in singers, they always have such nice, relaxing voices. As much as I liked this, the vibrato was not as great as the rest of the vocals, so I can't give a perfect. 4/5
Whacko/Soto - Very nice, Soto's voice is not what I expected it to sound like (I thought he'd be more wanky. Maybe this is just a restrained performance), but the vibrato was great. 4/5

Most Depressing Vocals:
Vuvu/Sorne - I am really starting to love this guy. This is damn near perfect for this category, very heartbroken and just great. 4.5/5
Whacko/Gildenlol - Outstanding. Gildenlöw is just amazing here. I have to agree with Sherick again, it is almost uncomfortable listening to this, it's so moving. Perfect. 5/5
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top