ROUND 4: Big Brother vs Saint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 4: Big Brother vs Saint

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:39 pm

This is the thread for the round 4 matchup of Big Brother and Saint. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 4: Big Brother vs Saint

Post  Big Brother on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:46 pm

Depressing Vocals

Heartbreaking singing from "Snuff", showcases Corey's soft, emotional side really well.
http://picosong.com/ekQw/

Vibrato

Eddie's vibrato is great in this rendition of "Last Kiss", really adds a powerful emotional edge to the sadness of the song. Could have easily qualified for depressing vocals, too.
http://picosong.com/ekQP/
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:11 am

Best Vibrato: Elizabeth Fraser
Amazing song with an amazing chorus. Otherworldly vocals especially to listen to between 1:14-1:45

Most Depressing Vocals: PJ Harvey
Such a beautiful and haunting song as it is, the whole thing makes me emotional, but the end alone has brought me to breakdown a few times. Listen to the entire song when you get the chance. The time to listen to is 1:25-3:08 (end).
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:04 am

Most Depressing Vocals:
Taylor/Big Bro - Awesome. A very pain-riddled and saddening performance, and it's stuff like that that makes me like Taylor. I wish he did more stuff like it, it's great. What a fantastic clean voice he has. 4/5
PJ/Saint - It was very good, but I felt she wasn't gushing out as I expected her too. The ending did sell me, however, when she started shrieking. Man, the anguish in those highs was incredible. Even the shakiness of her voice made it sound all the more better. 4.5/5

Best Vibrato:
Vedder/Big Bro - Pretty good vibrato. Not too overwhelming, and not on every note he hits, and sounds nice to boot. 4/5
Fraser/Saint - Wee Lizzie from Falkirk; Scottish singer automatically wins... But seriously, the vibrato in the leads was pretty decent, but then I realized that you were talking about the backing vocal bit, which was lovely. The vibrato made the part sound even nicer, and was very strong. 4.5/5
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Vibrato
Eddie Vedder - Nice, not showing off, an earnest performance/vibrato. 4/5
Elizabeth Fraser - Good, atmospheric vibratos. 4/5

Depressive Vocals
Corey Taylor - I didn't imagine that the singer of Slipknot could sing those sad melodies, a good surprise. 4/5
PJ Harvey - I like PJ Harvey and both the song and singing were nice, but I didn't feel so much sadness. 3/5

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am

Emo

Corey Taylor - well it's a cool performance can't deny it but do i really cryed to this? na man 3
PJ Harvey - didn't find it depressive, maybe some kind of hipster depression but not the way i feel, empathy 0, liked the highs, really nice but it would be unfair to give you extra points for that. 2

Vibrato

Vedder - i see you were looking for some emo stuff and you found both categories, back then i loved this song so much, so you're lucky, memories give you 0.5+ = 3.5
Fraser - sounds like a ghost, remind me of some Donkey Kong country 2 level theme, once again memories add 0.5 = 3

DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:54 am

DonutsGalacticos wrote:Emo

Corey Taylor - well it's a cool performance can't deny it but do i really cryed to this? na man 3
PJ Harvey - didn't find it depressive, maybe some kind of hipster depression but not the way i feel, empathy 0, liked the highs, really nice but it would be unfair to give you extra points for that. 2

Vibrato

Vedder - i see you were looking for some emo stuff and you found both categories, back then i loved this song so much, so you're lucky, memories give you 0.5+ = 3.5
Fraser - sounds like a ghost, remind me of some Donkey Kong country 2 level theme, once again memories add 0.5 = 3

I don't get angry very often but your reviews for both myself and Big Brother managed to piss me off. The category for "depressive" vocals is pretty subjective but you have to take another person's perspective into it. Instead, you labelled it "hipster" which shouldn't even be getting this sophisticated of a response for, but the sun shines on a dog's ass now and then. You see, a lot of the music posted here I'm not particularly fond of, but I take into consideration another's taste and whether the clip actually meets the standard rather than write it off because I don't like it. No, I shouldn't even be this upset considering you can't even find clips that take themselves seriously.
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:00 am

Saint, Nothing Less wrote:

Vibrato

I don't get angry very often but your reviews for both myself and Big Brother managed to piss me off. The category for "depressive" vocals is pretty subjective but you have to take another person's perspective into it. Instead, you labelled it "hipster" which shouldn't even be getting this sophisticated of a response for, but the sun shines on a dog's ass now and then. You see, a lot of the music posted here I'm not particularly fond of, but I take into consideration another's taste and whether the clip actually meets the standard rather than write it off because I don't like it. No, I shouldn't even be this upset considering you can't even find clips that take themselves seriously.

I wasn't expecting such high levels of butthurt, i trully never intended to offend anyone. To me it seems that you take this game way too seriously. Also i think i have got some unfair (to me/IMO/not objective) scores on some ocassion too, it happens dear.

edit: Stop drama, let everyone vote whatever they want and comment whatever comes to mind, you see it's kinda difficult find a serious critic for every clip and this way maybe i'm trying to make it easier for me, that's all.
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:38 am

Va a llorar cuando yo te golpeé.

¿Comprende, puta?

Srsly tho idrc bro thanks for voting.
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:40 am

You never thanked me...  Angry 
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:58 am

I didn't know you wanted sarcastic thanks.  Sad 
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am

Best Vibrato
Vedder: I know you already know how I feel on this, but the vibrato here is barely discernible and it is not technically impressive or pleasant sounding in the least to me. 2/5
Fraser: Excellent vibrato on the coloratura. 5/5

Depressing Vocals
Taylor: My first post in this round and I really do see how this will be a hard category to judge. A pretty depressing song no question, but it becomes a real quandary as how to judge vocals in that regard. Anyway, very emotive singing; doesn't necessarily denote depression to me but blah blah blah overthinking. 4/5
Harvey: So that's who PJ Harvey is. Interesting switch, with music that's relatively upbeat sounding, but vocals with a clear pathos in them too. I'm guessing the highs at the end could express pain, but I was more interested in the bits before, with her haunting echoed notes and emotional falsetto. 5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:01 am

Donuts, you don't have any idea what emo means do you
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 am

Big Brother wrote:I didn't know you wanted sarcastic thanks.  Sad 

you were being nice but you want to hide it that makes you even beautier <3
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:21 am

Rodney Razorshorts wrote:Donuts, you don't have any idea what emo means do you

I can barely writte in your language podrías explicármelo en español?
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am

I don't speak even a little Spanish and if I did, I wouldn't throw around words I don't understand like "emo" or "hipster" without figuring out what they mean first.
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:01 am

DonutsGalacticos wrote:
Rodney Razorshorts wrote:Donuts, you don't have any idea what emo means do you

I can barely writte in your language podrías explicármelo en español?

Emo en wikipedia español

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

Disfrutate
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Great Heroins on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm soooo emo.
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Embarassed
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Fucking Donuts.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:49 am

Guys stay on topic or I'm gonna have to start deleting posts. Sad 
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:09 am

I already stated my points about the categories of this round on this post, so let's go directly to the ratings.

Best Vibrato

Vedder: Kinda hard to say anything when his natural vibrato is probably his voice's most recognizable feature. The shaky and fast vibrato of his here isn't used as much as he tends to use naturally, though. On a side note the contrast between the upbeat and bouncy music and the terribly tragic lyrics couldn't be more stark. 3,5/5

Fraser: In what language is she singing? Damn, Saint I totally need to hear more of the stuff you recommend to me and I mostly ignore (this song is amazing!). The vibrato here is not much proeminent than the Vedder's clip, but I really like the subtle vibrato she is using on the classical-styled singing. 4/5

Most "Depressive" Vocals

(Read my point on the Whacko vs Vuvu thread I linked at the start of this post, I don't want to be misunderstood)

Taylor: One of the only two songs I like at all by Slipknot. This really proves Corey's immense potential as a "clean singer", his performance on this song is simply memorable, the emotional delivery is top notch, I get so many goosebumps and shivers down my spine when I listen to this. I don't find this passage "depressing" at all, but the lyrics, the melodies and Corey's delivery is so intense and sincere that this really deserves a 5/5

Harvey: DAMN SAINT I need to listen to the stuff you recommend me. This lady's vocal tone and performance here are very good, I like the overall sound of the song and those highs were incredible. The melancholic sound of both music and singing was really great, but sincerely I can't feel much emotional intensity here as I hear on Taylor's clip. 4/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Best Vibrato:

Vedder: There's vibrato, but it doesn't sound particularly controlled and I'm not too fond of it. 2.5/5
Fraser: Very impressive and pleasant sounding. 4.5/5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top