David Sylvian

Post  Croak on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:14 am

Voice type: Baritone
Total range:C2-D5
Melodic range: C2-G♯4

• D5 ("Deviation [Live in Tokyo]")
  • C5 ("Obscure Alternatives")
  • G♯4 ("Deviation", "Automatic Gun")
  • F♯4 ("Adolescent Sex", "Love Is Infectious")
  • F4 ("Transmission", "Television", "Obscure Alternatives", "Talking Drum")
  • E4 ("Stateline", "Lovers on Main Street", "Suburban Berlin", "Quiet Life", "Halloween", "Ghosts", "The Art of Parties", "Sons of Pioneers")
  • E♭4 ("The Unconventional", "Suburban Love", "Wish You Were Black", "Communist China", "...Rhodesia", "Sometimes I Feel So Low", "Fall in Love with Me", "In-Vogue", "Life in Tokyo", "Pocketful of Change")
  • D4 ("Performance", "Don't Rain on My Parade", "Gentlemen Take Polaroids", "Swing", "Ain't That Peculiar", "Nightporter", "Visions of China", "Sons of Pioneers", "Cantonese Boy", "Riverman")
  • C♯4 ("Methods of Dance", "My New Career", "Forbidden Colors", "Pulling Punches", "Wave", "Laughter and Forgetting", "Pocketful of Change",  "Blackwater", "Some Kind of Fool (version 2000)", "The Last Days of December", "Bamboo Music")

Significant low notes:

• A♭2 ("Methods of Dance", "Visions of China", "Brilliant Trees", "The Good Son", "How Little We Need to Be Happy", "Do You Know Me Now?")
  • G2 ("Suburban Love", "Sometimes I Feel So Low", "Quiet Life", "The Other Side of Life", "The Boy with the Gun", "Jean the Birdman", "I Surrender", "Midnight Sun", "The Heart Knows Better")
  • F♯2 ("Gentlemen Take Polaroids", "Swing", "Still Life in Mobile Homes", "Pulling Punches", "The Devil's Own", "Mother and Child", "Blackwater", "Alphabet Angels", "Darkest Dreaming", "Random Acts of Senseless Violence")
  • F2 ("Backwaters", "20th Century Dreaming (A Shaman's Song)", "Pollen Path", "Serotonin")
  • E2 ("Ain't That Peculiar", "Nightporter", "Talking Drum", "Sons of Pioneers", "The Ink in the Well", "Weathered Wall", "Taking the Veil", "September", "Every Colour You Are", "Firepower", "Thalheim", "Wanderlust", "The Only Daughter", "The Greatest Living Englishman", "Transit", "Money for All")
  • E♭2 ("Ghosts", "The Shining of Things", "Cafe Europa", "Emily Dickinson", "Manafon", "The Banality of Evil"
  • D2 ("Taking Islands in Africa", "Rain Tree Crow", "Cries and Whispers", "Darshan (The Road to Graceland)", "Krishna Blue", "Some Kind of Fool (version 2000)", "Small Metal Gods")
  • C♯2 ("Maria")
  • C2 ("Snow White in Appalachia")

*Red marks notes that are questionable enough to not count
*Purple marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise obscured in the song mix.
*Blue marks non-modal notes.
*Italics mark notes of uncertain or inconstant pitch.

[i]Albums not checked yet: Oil on Canvas, Nine Horses' albums, guest appearances(, perhaps parts of Gone to Earth?)

Last edited by Croak on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:13 am; edited 10 times in total
Croak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David Sylvian

Post  Spydr on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:49 am

I'm gay for this guy.
More informative rnage-related post coming soon.

Last edited by Spydr on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Spydr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spydr on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:12 am

You had the majority of my notes, but have these anyway.

E4 Sons of Pioneers
Eb4 Life in Tokyo
D4 Riverman
C#4 Wave, a Pocket full of change, Laughter and Forgetting, The Last
Days of December, Bamboo Music, Forbidden Colors
G2 Surburban Love
F#2 Gentlemen take Polaroids
E2 Firepower
C#2 Maria

"Riverman" would be one of those purple harmonized notes, but I don't know which exact shade is used. After he started his solo career he seemed to make a conscious effort to only sing in his comfortable range, almost never above C#4, but I think he could still for the most part do his latter day Japan singing.

^ 3:10 is really cool, I like the different melody he gave the ending.

The low notes in "Obscure Alternatives" I recall sounded like the voice of one of the other members, either Mick Karn or the guitar player (I looked up an interview for that purpose once.)

Last edited by Spydr on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Spydr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 am

Just wanna say I'm happy to see a thread for Sylvian. Very soothing voice and I've always liked his music.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top