ROUND 3: Big Brother vs Pepeforever

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 3: Big Brother vs Pepeforever

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:25 pm

This is the thread for the round 3 matchup of Big Brother versus Pepeforever. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 3: Big Brother vs Pepeforever

Post  Big Brother on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:27 pm

Best Vocal Arrangement- Michael Jackson
http://picosong.com/Yv5k/

Some fantastic vocal harmonies and acrobatics on "Off the Wall".

Best High Singing- Eddie Vedder
http://picosong.com/Yv5b/

Intense, gritty highs from the hard-rocking "Blood".
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Sorry for being late again guys.

-Best high singing:

Layne Staley - Man in the Box (live) (Alice in Chains)

The chorus of this song has some of rock music's most famous sustained B♭4s, performed masterfully on a live setting. Very gritty and demanding high singing done with a very powerful sound.

1:05 to 1:31.
2:30 to 2:55
and especially 3:36 to 4:00, where he hits the most amount of high notes.

-Best vocal arrangement:

Peter Steele - She Burned Me Down (Type O Negative)

Extremely badass and earth-shattering choir like singing, recalling the russian Red Army Choir. Though lacking many different lines of melody harmonizing together, it stands out as a very well done and interesting arrangement.

5:02 to 5:31
and
5:44 to 6:15
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Best high singing
Vedder - Very raw, quite an aggressive and less "clean" clip than most would expect for this category, but I can appreciate it as this is pretty high for Eddie and shows a great emotional (!) intensity, which is what Eddie's about more often than not. 4/5
Layne - Love how powerful Layne's belting is here, a bit stronger than the studio version in fact and is a testament to how great Staley's voice truly was, especially at his peak. 4.5/5

Best vocal arrangement:
MJ - I didn't think the harmonies really took off til about 40 seconds in, and when it does it's quite nice, good interplay between his leading vocal and the "hookier" background vox. 4/5
Petrus - The second instance seemed a bit more applicable, probably not my first choice if I were to pick something for Peter in this category (I would've gone w/ the middle eight of "Blood & Fire" personally), this is still pretty alright however, interesting contrast between the more melodic vox and the much lower chanting, quite a good effect indeed. 3.5/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:28 am

Wow, a match of "grungeheads" Very Happy

Best High Singing

Vedder: This is Grunge's signature rough high singing, and Vedder does it pretty well. Very intense sound, the distortion that is naturally added (despite sounding too "violent" and incontrolled at times, especially at the last notes) is a really nice addition. 4/5

Staley: Such an exciting match, two of the greatest grunge vocalists ever!!! Those B♭4s are among my favorite notes of all time, and damn, he completely nails ALL of the notes on that song, simply amazing. Even if pitch-wise this couldn't be really counted as high singing, the clip is immensely tasteful and represents pretty well a great showcase of stability and control (and in my sincere opinion, more tastefulness than the Vedder's clip that BB showcased.) 4,5/5

Best Vocal Arrangement

Jackson: Although the vocal harmonies don't exactly play a really integral part of the music here, they are used pretty well to highlight some specifical passages. 3,5/5

Steele: I agree with Sandblasted here that the second segment showcased better a slightly more elaborate example of arrangement. It's cool, but not really an interesting choice. 3/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:15 am

Best High Singing

Vedder: i wasn't expecting that from mr vedder, really cool i'll say 4
Staley: Ha probably Staley's best performance of that song ever, at least from what i've heard, a classical belting song for us deaf pupils of grunge masters 5

Best Vocal Arrangement

Jackson: Classical MJ's vocal harmonies, classical 80's stuff haha see me dacing diggin that shit 3.5

Steele: Russian chorus anyone? awesome lows no wonder, the arrengement is ok but imo lacks more dynamic stuff 2
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:44 am

Best high singing
Vedder - One of my favourites by Mr. Vedder, PERFECT intensity for such a brutal song. It's a miracle how his voice has held up throughout years of this kind of belting and adapted to it. Very hard to recreate! 4.5/5
Layne - Another self-explanatory here. The best live version of the wicked classic vocal. 5/5

Best vocal arrangement:
MJ - The master himself. Not just an amazing lead vocal, but the harmonies were also impeccable and perfectly fit for the song. 4/5
Petrus - I'll admit that during the first instance I was more concentrated with the massive lead vocal, but the second one sounded amazing. Gigantic! 5/5
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 am

Best high singing:

Vedder: That classic rough Grunge-sound - I don't like it. Still, Vedder does a good job here. 3.5/5
Staley: Similar genre but a lot more to my liking. Tasteful, powerful an well-controlled. 4.5/5

Best vocal arrangement:

Jackson: That unique sound MJ had on his harmonies is just great. 4/5
Steele: Mighty powerful sound. I don't find the arrangement itself that interesting, though, as it's not very dynamic. 3.5/5
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Best high singing:

Vedder: Pretty crazy stuff. Emotional(!) 4/5
Staley: Well, as Timi said this one's pretty self-explanatory. 4.5/5

Best vocal arrangement:

Jackson: Very well done and a godo fit for the category. 4.5/5
Steele: It's alright, not the best choice for the cateogry though, imo. 3/5

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:01 pm

High Singing
Vedder: Wow that power grit. Weird on the voice cracks, but impressive nonetheless. 3.5/5
Staley: As solid belting as you could hear from Layne; I'm not sure why you specifically chose this version, but it replicates the studio one just fine, and is fine singing. 3.5/5

Vocal Arrangement
MJ: Very soulful harmonies which create a great effect, on top of great singing from MJ. 4/5
Steele: Stands out as a pretty creative use of arrangement and does well to create that "earth-shattering" effect you mentioned. Not very impressive arrangement or singing though. 3/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:10 pm

High Singing
Vedder: Woah... super rough! That G4 at 0:22-ish is ridiculous. 4/5
Staley: Those notes are huge! Very well done. 4/5
(This matchup is great!)

Vocal Arrangement
Jackson: Very strong lead vocal, and great use of layering. 4.5/5
Steele: This was pretty cool overall, for some reason I didn't expect this. I liked it. 3.5/5
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:10 pm

High singing
Vedder: Super strong if a bit uncontrolled belting. I think it sounds pretty awesome and while an atypical pick for the category still really good. 4/5
Staley: A bit more sparse than I'd like but c'mon pretty hard to fault such a flawless live rendition of this song. Super powerful and good sounding as I've come to expect from Staley. 4/5

Arrangement
Jackson: A bit repetitive but I like how some of the overdubs function as a repetitive backing phrase while Michael does some improvisational parts on top of it. 4/5
Steele: Not quite as exciting as some other picks for Steele but definitely a good sounding section demonstrating Steele's knack for "character" singing if you will. 3.5/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top