ROUND 3: Rodney Razorshorts vs Whackooyzero

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 3: Rodney Razorshorts vs Whackooyzero

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 pm

This is the thread for the round 3 matchup of Rodney Razorshorts versus Whackooyzero. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 3: Rodney Razorshorts vs Whackooyzero

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:42 pm

Best high singing:
I'm going with Jeff Scott Soto's take on the end of the Deep Purple classic Mistreated. He really shows his soulful and emotive voice in this section which includes a number of C5s, a few E♭5s, and a killer sustained F5 in addition to cool runs throughout.
http://picosong.com/YGBr/

Best vocal arrangement:
Here I'm using Dan Swano's guest appearance with Omnium Gatherum on their song New World Shadows. He uses a couple different harmonized voices in this section and it sounds really glorious even though it's kind of a short clip.
http://picosong.com/YGDX/
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:58 pm

High Singing: Tarja Turunen http://picosong.com/eszd

Vocal Arrangement: Matt Barlow http://picosong.com/esTs
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 pm

High Singing

Soto- Pretty fucking godly 5/5
Tarja- Wow I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally don't like the style or tone or the sound at all but it was quite technically impressive and fit the category well so 4/5

Vocal Arrangement

Dan Swano- fucking shit that was great 4/5
Barlow- Pretty good I think but the harmonies weren't extremely impressive imo cool singing for sure tho 3/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rune on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 am

High singing:

Jeff Scott Soto - pretty goddammit good! 5/5
Tarja Turunen - almost perfect, but I can hear at some moments something like a little hesitation or something, but still great. 4.5/5

Vocal arrangement:

Dan Swano - cool harmonies in the background, but on the other hand sometimes they seemed to me a little bit pushed by force, like they were making unnecessary "poppy" effect. Great vocals though! 3.5/5

Matt Barlow - cool effect with those background vocals and very well sung! 4/5

Rune

View user profile http://www.lastfm.pl/user/czarniak14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:16 am

High Singing:
Jeff Scott Soto - good - 3.5/5
Tarja Turunen - good too 3.5/5

Vocal Arrangement:
Dan Swano - nice but didn't catch my attention very much 3.5/5
Matt Barlow - very nice 4/5

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:38 pm

High Singing

Soto Pretty tastefull 5
Tarja Lol wat was dat, sounds cool and weird 3.5

Vocal Arrangement

Dan Swano it was really cool it made me felt something 4
Barlow cool why can't have a voice like those both, it kinda lacked more arrengement 3
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:49 am

Best high singing:
Soto - You probably know by now I'm huge fan of Soto's tone and power in general, and damn what a clip to show it off. Besides the fact DAT F5 is one of my favourite notes of his, his sound on the lower fifth octave notes in that clip are quite powerful as well, a natural fit for this category. 4.5/5
Tarja - Always thought this was interesting passage, nice control and tone even if a bit stilted, she definitely has a good sense of how well her voice works up there. 4/5

Best vocal arrangement:
Swano - I really like the duality of the softer harmonies constrasted w/Swano's MANLY fourth octave stuff in the lead vocal, gives a really powerful effect that really enhances the music as well. 4/5
Barlow - This is one of the more interesting clips in this category for me, as the clip goes on there seems to be more and more going on, especially near the end after the sustained note where he really starts going crazy with the layering, I also like the call and response aspect as well. 4.5/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  B6 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Best high singing:
Soto: I guess it's technically very good, so I think it fits the category. Not my favourite sound though, sorry. 3.5/5
Turunen: Kinda the opposite: I like the tone, though at the start it sounds kinda weak. Lovely passage though; I imagine for a trained soprano something like that isn't that tricky, but whatever. 4/5
Best vocal arrangement:
Swano: Not exceedingly complex, but put to good use. He sounds great both in the more atmospheric harmonies and the belting parts. 3.5/5
Barlow: Cool stuff, nothing exceedingly complex here either except for the more call-and-response parts near the end. Definitely more elaborated than the Swano clip, IMO, though I don't feel like giving it a stratospheric rating because it doesn't feel too 'necessary' or out of the norm. 3.5/5
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:07 am

Best high singing:
Soto - One of the craziest balls-out heavy rock performances I've heard, Jeff gives this his all and then some. Rather Gary Cherone-like vibes on some of those highs. And you'd think that there was no way beating David, Ronnie and Glenn when it came to this song. 666/5
Tarja A technically impressive showcase, but I'm not much of a fan of Tarja's voice anymore as opposed to my teen years. 3/5

Best vocal arrangement:
Swano - I found this unique, especially with the intricate harmonies backing Swano's big voice. The backing vocals actually have a very slight MBV-vibe to them, which is always a plus in my book. 4/5
Barlow - Barlow's voice is so good... Crying or Very sad Not my favourite song, but the harmonies proved to be rather interesting. Great variations and use of melody. 3.5/5
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:20 am

Best high singing:

Soto: Ranks right up there with the other great version by Purple, Rainbow, and Hughes. More important for this category: Excellent high singing. 4.5/5
Tarja: Not a big fan of her voice. The singing, while technically flawless, doesn't to it for me either. 3/5

Best vocal arrangement:

Swano: Good. Can't think of more than that to describe it. 3.5/5
Barlow: Good but not overwhelmingly so. 3.5/5
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:51 am

Best High Singing

Soto: I'm not really a fan of the tone, but this was decent. The highest note was really well done. 3,5/5

Tarja: Technically pretty well done, those staccato notes where really enjoyable even that I'm not really found of the style. Decent too. 3,5/5

Best Vocal Arrangement

Swano: I love the harmonies even with myself not being a fan of the sound of the "lead vocals". Still, really enjoyable. 4/5

Barlow: Kinda similar clip, but it has a bit more elements on (the call and response vocals are a really creative touch). Not to mention the singing per se that is gorgeous. 4/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Best high singing:

Soto: The singing's impressive, but not particularly tasteful imo. Still, fits the category well. 4/5
Tarja: Very cool, but I was left hoping for something more at the end. 4/5

Best vocal arrangement:

Swano: It works pretty well, but isn't that impressive of an arrangement. 3.5/5
Barlow: Starts of pretty simple, but builds up nicely and by the end it's a very cool arrangement. 4/5

Back to top Go down

Post  MrToddington on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm

High Singing
Soto: Took awhile for those big highs to arrive. Not too bad. 3.5/5
Tarja: Pretty decent, cool style. Sounds really easy for someone like her, and I guess it made me expect more. 3/5

Vocal Arrangement
Swano: He doesn't disappoint. Powerful and a good use of layering. 4/5
Barlow: Also good, Barlow is another consistent guy. The style used at the end was pretty cool. 4/5
MrToddington
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Soto/Whackoo- Holy shit that was aaaawesome. Love his gritty tone and the higher notes, particuallary that sustained one around 0:30, were thight. Being passionate and good sounding as well. Think I like this the better than the ultra oversang Hughes version. 4,5/5

Tarja/Rodney- Some pretty good flute like notes soprano notes. Great technique as always, but this isn't exactly my thing. Plus I believe (sininng on not really knowing her stuff) that Tarja can pull a much better high note passage. 3,5/5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swano/Wackoo- Not very complex harmonies or arrangement really, but I tremble with the feeling of glorious victory upon listening to this clip, so it gets the job done very well. Plus it sounds veeery nice. 4/5

Barlow/Rodney- Similar sounding harmonies in pretty much identical musical style and sound, only this one might be a little more varied, though I feel it looses focus and doesn't quite get the same feel Swano's clip does. I was about to give it a 3,5/5 but the great ending changed my mind. 4/5
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top