ROUND 3: Rapport Rapturer vs Monocus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 3: Rapport Rapturer vs Monocus

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:23 pm

This is the thread for the round 3 matchup of Rapport Rapturer versus Monocus. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 3: Rapport Rapturer vs Monocus

Post  Monocus on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Best high singing: Glenn Hughes - Highway Star

0:42-1:40 and 2:28-end

No surprises here: Lots and lots of high notes!
Just what we've come to expect from 61-year-old Glenn Hughes.

Best vocal arrangement: Richie Kotzen - Bad Situation

2:35-end

Myriads of voices covering a range of different tones, techniques, and pitches arranged in an interesting way.
Quite catchy, too.
Everything you hear is Richie Kotzen. Vocals, guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, and production.
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:17 am

I apologize for the inconvenience, only now did I get an access on my computer.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:54 am

Best high singing: Mariah Carey - Emotions live

3:17-4:15 - First off some extremely relaxed and impressive, beautiful belting, combined with a great sense of melody and strong growls. After that, Mariah uses her trademark whistle register in the most wicked way possible, but stays rather tasteful with it regardless (in my opinion; just consider how well she uses her voice THAT high), treating it kind of like a separate instrument, more akin to a guitar than a voice... And it's freaking live!  Probably not going to appeal to some of the TRP-users on here, but a very impressive and musical showcase nonetheless.

Best vocal arrangement: Graham Bonnet - Samurai

(Pick two Laughing) 0:25-1:00 + 1:25-2:00 + 3:18-3:52 - A particularly tricky showcase of harmonizing by Graham (a similar effect is showcased on the song "Big Foot" as well) off one of the best songs of his career, he incorporates a classic two-voiced melody vocal on the verses with his unique flair, creating a great contrast with the towering chorus. The singing sounds effortless, but try to sing along: impossible! Incredible heights reached, with superb variations, phrasing, control, tone and sense of melody. Typical Bonnet magic from some of his prime years.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 am

High Singing

Hughes- Don't dig the tone, but nonetheless very impressive 3/5
Carey- I liked it but I wasn't blown away 3/5

Vocal Arrangement

Kotzen- Very good 4/5
Bonnet- You wrote an elegant description of it but I'm not hearing it 3/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:10 am

Curiosity did. Crying or Very sad
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 am

High Singing

Hughes - Quite impressive i must say, if i try those i would probably die 4
Carey - holy yisus damn wistle stuff pretty impressive i would die if i try them 4

Vocal Arrangement

Kotzen - Indeed groovy, a relaxing cup of coca cola potatoes and see me diggin stuff 3
Bonnet - Normal harmonies didn't see it that impressive, i'll give you 0.5 more because of the mix of the song title and my avatar samurai. 2.5
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:00 am

Normal harmonies? Pleeeeease record a cover and then we'll talk. Those are technically simply super-demanding.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:15 am

Glenn Hughes/Monocus- Well, as always with Glenn, the mindless oversinging keeps me from giving him a perfect score but HOLY FUCKING JESUS CHRIST ON COCAINE!!ASKDJ1ALSDJ1111ONE. 4,5/5

Mariah Carey/Rapport- Holy hell, clash of the technical monsters here. I don't really like the oversinging here either, but I guess making whistle notes tasteful like that is a really impressive feat, plus the way she just throws them there like nothing is absolutely alien like. 5/5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kotzen/Monocus- Love the higher falsetto backing vocals. Sounds like one whole huge funky chorus, and the fact that he is making different lines separately (not the same time) gives it that never endless jam kinda thing. Pretty nice. 4,5/5

Glenn Hughes- The heights he reaches are truly amazing and the harmonizing is really delivered excellently. I feel Kotzen was more complete due the aforementioned superposition of more different vocal lines at different times. 4/5

You guys have to stop posting so many great clips from amazing singers. You make it hard for someone to stay away from giving only perfect scores  Laughing 
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandblasted on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:54 am

Best high singing:
Hughes - The usual from Glenn, nice belting and what not but I still can't help fight the feeling he's overdoing it a bit, of course tho that's what Hughes does and then again maybe I'm just too attached to the original. 3.5/5
Carey - Once again the usual from Mariah, some strong belting as you'd expect and the whistle stuff is nice and controlled and doesn't seem too overdone or anything, a nice showcase of her skillz in general. 4/5

Best vocal arrangement
Kotzen - Oh this was nice, quite a lot going on w/the harmonies going from lower to higher, gets even better later on when he starts layering the soulful falsetto, the consistent escalation of the layering in general makes this an interesting listen. 4.5/5
Bonnet - The melody itself is tricky enough, but the fact he was able the match the cadences of the two tracks so well is quite impressive, especially when he starts going higher, the difference in tone as well is a nice contrast and creates quite a unique sound for the track. 4/5
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Best high singing:

Hughes: Insane highs, a bit oversung though. 4.5/5
Carey: Pleasant highs, but I feel the category needs something more. The whistle notes almost got me to bump it up to a 4. 3.5/5

Best vocal arrangement:

Kotzen: Well done and pleasant. 3.5/5
Bonnet: I love the harmony and the song in general, but it's too simple for me to give it anything higher than this. 3.5/5

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm

High Singing
Hughes: Earth-shattering highs here. Very impressive for a senior citizen. Still not that big a fan of his delivery, but whatevs. 4.5/5
Carey: Pretty much everything Timi said. Not that I found it particularly impressive, aside from the controlled whistle singing. 3.5/5

Vocal Arrangement
Kotzen: Wouldn't guess that those voices were all him. Impressive tonal variety and nice soulful delivery. 4/5
Bonnet: Very good two-voice harmonizing. Something about the way it works together is very cool, and deceptively impressive singing from Graham. 4/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 am

High singing
Hughes: Uggh really don't like his tone on stuff like this these days. I much prefer his 70s sound tbh. Anyways good wanky high singing as usual with Glenn these days but I just can't get myself to enjoy this very much. 3/5
Carey: Really good control and use of the whistle register. Not much else to say but I think it was quite nice. 3.5/5

Vocal arrangement
Kotzen: Cool variation in tones throughout the different voices here. Pretty good choice for this category. 4/5
Bonnet: The only singer out of this group I'm really fond of. The dual voices intertwine in a very tight way throughout this song and the contrast between the more belty voice and the thinner one is quite cool as well. 4/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 am

Best High Singing:
Hughes/Monocus - 61-years old? I'll be lucky if I can piss properly at that age... VERY impressive, if not a bit wanky at times. Good job Glenn, keep going strong, you old fucker! 4/5
Carey/Timi - That was... *sigh* a pretty good performance by Mariah Carey. I do love the distortion/grit she adds to her high notes, and I probably would've given a perfect if she hadn't done that whistle bit. From a technical point of view, it was pretty impressive. From a normal point of view, it was a tad bit silly. Still don't like Carey that much! Smile 4.5/5

Best Vocal Arrangement:
Kotzen/Monocus - Really liked that. It had a very motown-ish sound to it, and the way he sang over the other harmonies was very cool. Every voice did their own thing, but it never sounded jumbled. 4/5
Bonnet/Timi - Wasn't as impressive as I expected, but it was still pretty good. I whole-heartedly disagree with Donuts that this sounds like a simple harmony. The high harmony and the mid-range harmony were both doing their own thing around each other, and not singing the same notes in different octaves or something like that. Very cool. 4/5
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top