ROUND 3: Sandblasted vs SpiralStatic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 3: Sandblasted vs SpiralStatic

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:19 pm

This is the thread for the round 3 matchup of Sandblasted versus SpiralStatic. Feel free to post clips and descriptions.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 3: Sandblasted vs SpiralStatic

Post  Sandblasted on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Best high singing: http://picosong.com/enF2
Some controlled, melodic wailing from Mr. Gillan, eventually leading up to some of his highest notes! Unfortunately, the phrases are broken up somewhat by some instrumental work, so bear with that.

Best vocal arrangement: http://picosong.com/enFZ
Probably one of Anselmo's best performances, featuring some quite involed layering, harmonizing (esp. towards the end of the clip), and some call and response style vox as well, the works basically. (note: this clip starts off somewhat loud and abruptly, so be prepared for that)
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiralStatic on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Best High Singing (Casey Crescenzo): http://picosong.com/eysk/
The Dear Hunter - Mr. Malum (Violet)
Not particularly high note-wise (D5) but an insane amount of power in the climax delivered in an almost bluesy scream.

Best Vocal Arrangement (Ryan Hunter): http://picosong.com/eRvZ/
Envy On The Coast - (X) Amount Of Truth
A creepy and compositionally complex acapella track that goes far beyond your usual octave doubling or major 5th harmonies (end music nerd speak here). I'm counting at least 8 vocal lines in perfect unison.
SpiralStatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Brother on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:43 pm

High Singing

Crescenzo- Quite good high singing, great control and all; not a huge fan of the sound for some reason but I can't fault it 3/5
Gillan- His falsetto can be offputting sometimes but it's also pretty fucking mindblowing, great clip 4/5

Vocal Arrangement

Anselmo- Holy shit 4/5
Hunter- I jizzed everywhere but srsly I hate that band name it gives me cancer 5/5
Big Brother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:12 am

Best high singing:
Gillan - Classic Gillan, aka. kickass. Also makes me realise how similar Gillan and Hughes' falsetto styles were back in the day. 5/5
Crescenzo Not my favourite song by the group, but the singing itself is great. Shame on it being a bit buried under the instruments, the effect would probably be greater if the lead was more on top. 3/5

Best vocal arrangement:
Anselmo - Very good choice right here! Goes to show that Anselmo still has a lot to offer, even after losing his high Halford-register. Amazing arrangement, a true ear for detail. 5/5
Hunter - Hahaha, not a name of the band's name either. Either way, let's get back on the topic: perfect fit for the category. The voices were extremely well done, plus the cello adds some additional effect. Great. 4/5
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:28 am

Best high singing:

Gillan: I've always loved this song. Well-controlled high notes (really high notes). 4.5/5
Crescenzo: Solid. 3/5

Best vocal arrangement:

Anselmo: Not my favourite singer, but a great fit for the category. 4/5
Hunter: Very good. 4/5
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:43 am

Gillan/Sandblasted- Holy fuckin' hell that B5 O_o. Technically impressive as fuck. I knew this dude could wail but I never thought he could go so high. Very climatic (lol past categories) build up as well. 4,5/5

Crescenzo/Spiral- >D5
>Not particulary high
lol.
That was a pretty good clip, really dig the tone from this dude. The D5s themselves were pretty short sudden notes, but the C5s kicked some ass. Both really climatic clips with some very passionate high singing, but due to technique I'm gonna give the higher to Gillan (I'm a "tastefulness, tone and emotion beats raeng difficoolty" guy, so I feel kinda hypocrite doing this). 4/5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil Anselmo/Sandblasted- Some very nice harmonies, particulary the humming in the end as Sandblasted said. Everything sounds pretty thight in itself, and the C5s at the beginning and the spoken A1s at the end are some of the most solid notes I've heard from both extremes of Phil's range. 4,5/5

Ryan Hunter/Spiral- Well, sounds like a really complex choir. Reminds me of Queen's work in a way. Very nice. The lead doesn't sound that good tonally to me, but it's still very impressive. Even more going on here than on Phil's clip, so well, what the hell... 5/5
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Best high singing:

Gillan: Great stuff, but they way he trails off sounding like a howler monkey brings it down a tad. 4.5/5
Crescenzo: Pretty good, but nothing too crazy. 3.5/5

Best vocal arrangement:

Anselmo: Very cool arrangement, but holy shit are the vocals are way too loud in the mix. 4.5/5
Hunter: Excellent arrangement, but it ain't acapella you liar. Anyway, it' gets as high a score as pure harmonies can get you. 4.5/5

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:40 pm

High Singing
Gillan: Incredible passage. I was a little worried about a Gillan selection in this, since most of his high passages really just tend to be a big note or a single line sung in his drive-heavy technique, but you picked a good'un. 5/5
Crescenzo: The high notes were fairly impressive, but the overall passage was not. 3/5

Vocal Arrangement
Anselmo: I really like his singing here, that gravelly blues delivery is one I'd like to hear from him a lot more. Great restrained layering going on there too, the low humming at the end is nice. 4/5
Hunter: Chilling and beautiful. I've liked what I've heard from this guy so far. Great selection. 4.5/5
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonutsGalacticos on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 am

High Singing
Gillan: Wow incredible highs there, great choice. 5
Crescenzo: Cool again 4

Vocal Arrangement
Anselmo: my favourite metal singer, sounds really alice in chainish here, great passage 4.5
Hunter: it was ok 3.5
DonutsGalacticos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:03 am

Best High Singing

Gillian: To be quite honest some of the notes sounded quite bad to me (curiously the highest ones sound better). Too nasal sounding and I don't like the "growly" sound he is using. The more "neutral" tone he is using for the highest passages is better IMO. 3/5

Crescenzo: As you pointed, this isn't exactly the highest singing, but its done pretty tasteful. The melodies are nice and the delivery is quite intense and emotional (!). 4/5

Best Vocal Arrangement

Anselmo: I can say that from an arrangement perspective, this sounded decent, but I really disliked the vocal tone. 3,5/5

Hunter: This really recalls Queen's vocal work as other users pointed. Really pleasant sound, and very well done harmonies. 4,5/5
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint.0 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:52 am

Best High Singing
Ian Gillan: Awesome control, but he does seem to go flat as he carries on. Still, very impressive. 4/5

Casey Crescenzo: Good delivery, but the music itself is a bit underwhelming. Still, that's not a vocal fault. 3.5/5

Best Vocal Arrangement
Phil Anselmo: Cool, unsettling vocal delivery. 4/5

Ryan Hunter: Really well done harmonies! Funnily enough, the lead vocal is probably the least impressive aspect here, but still very haunting. 4.5/5
Saint.0
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 am

Best High Singing:
Gillan/Sandblasted - And that, kids, is why Ian Gillan is awesome. 4.5/5
Crescenzo/Spiral - Not bad. But you think D5 isn't really high? I used a B♭4 clip for mine. Anyway, pretty good high singing. 3.5/5

Best Vocal Arrangement:
Anselmo/Sandblasted - FUCK... I hate Anselmo... But I liked this... But seriously, the highs sounded almost Cornell-ish at times, and the lows were magic. The arrangement was a bit messy at times, but overall excellent. 4.5/5
Hunter/Spiral - Wonderful. It sounded damn-near perfect. Almost Queen-like, as some have said. The high singing was smooth and light, the lows were not quite as low as Anselmo (duh, lol), but they fit in with the harmonies amazingly. Wonderful. 5/5
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 am

High singing
Crescenzo: Good and strong belting. A bit generic though. 3.5/5
Gillan: A bit more sparse than I'd like but it's hard to doubt how piercing and controlled Gillan's sound and execution is here. 3.5/5

Vocal arrangement
Anselmo: Lows get to E1 Pepe!  Naughty 
Anyways in all seriousness, I love this song and clip. Perfect representation of the different things Anselmo can do with his voice and all in a very musical and haunting fashion. 5/5
Hunter: Little more to say about this than it really did have a number of different voices going on at once and they all intertwined in a good sounding way. 4.5/5
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top